Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of my tiny netbook now and I want another laptop for Christmas What are the "best" laptops for £400 and under? I want something fast with a big harddrive and the ability to run The Sims 3.

ReputationRep:
    MacBook Pro.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you said £4000. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    MacBook Pro.

Oh I'm sorry, I thought you said £4000. :rolleyes:
    Haha my best friend just got a MacBook for her joint birthday/Christmas present and now she wants me to get one. I don't do joint presents though

Don't like the Mac OS anyway.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Does it have to be a laptop? I could link you desktop PC hardware components that would make an amazing gaming PC for under £400 - if you're willing to build it.

Otherwise, just take a look at some of the laptop deals at http://www.ebuyer.com and if you find one that you like, post the link/specs here.

ReputationRep:
    I would have a look at DELL or Lenovo. I have a Lenovo SL500 and it is really good (oddly, it is rather better than the SL510, with more memory, HD and everything).

ReputationRep:
    You're better of building a PC rig with that money to be fair.

ReputationRep:
    I just purchased
    Dell inspiron 1764
    core i3
    3Gb 1066Mhz
    320gb 7,200rpm HD
    17.3" display
    for £390

It was £390 refurbished £450 at Dell UK (including VAT & delivery)...
    would have been better for me to choose a New version as refurbished in for repair (not sure possible) & am yet to find similar priced laptop for these specs...

anyways thought might serve as benchmark in your search

ReputationRep:
    Lenovo G550, solid laptop.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...60&postcount=3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    Does it have to be a laptop? I could link you desktop PC hardware components that would make an amazing gaming PC for under £400 - if you're willing to build it.
    (Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude)
    You're better of building a PC rig with that money to be fair.
    I already have a great PC that someone built for me I just want another laptop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bravery)
    Lenovo G550, solid laptop.
    Mac's are out for £400, so I would also recommend Lenovo. Lenovo are one of the most reliable brands of laptop.

The G550 is a good model, but the newer G560 has a Core i3 CPU and is even better - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003XIJ1AG

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.