The Student Room Group

Advice please re predicted grades

A friend of mine is currently applying for Psychology in 2011. Her predicted grades are AAB but one of the grades is a little risky as she only obtained one of the A's by the skin of her teeth!!! She has requested that this A be predicted as a B as the Uni's she is applying for state a standard offer is ABB and she is worried that applying with higher predicted grades may mean a higher than standard offer. She has asked her senior tutor to lower this grade but she is unwilling to do this as she says it wont make any difference to her offer.
When I was applying for my courses I had higher predicted grades than the standard offers and I was made higher offers hence her concern!!

Any advice would be appreciated.:smile:
Reply 1
Edessa
A friend of mine is currently applying for Psychology in 2011. Her predicted grades are AAB but one of the grades is a little risky as she only obtained one of the A's by the skin of her teeth!!! She has requested that this A be predicted as a B as the Uni's she is applying for state a standard offer is ABB and she is worried that applying with higher predicted grades may mean a higher than standard offer. She has asked her senior tutor to lower this grade but she is unwilling to do this as she says it wont make any difference to her offer.
When I was applying for my courses I had higher predicted grades than the standard offers and I was made higher offers hence her concern!!

Any advice would be appreciated.:smile:

Universities don't have to give their standard offer to everybody, so there's always a chance of being given an offer which is higher than you expected. Your friend may be lucky or unlucky regardless of what her predicted grades are, but if AAB is a realistic prediction of what she's likely to get (and it sounds as though it is), I don't really see what the problem is.:confused:
Reply 2
hobnob
Universities don't have to give their standard offer to everybody, so there's always a chance of being given an offer which is higher than you expected. Your friend may be lucky or unlucky regardless of what her predicted grades are, but if AAB is a realistic prediction of what she's likely to get (and it sounds as though it is), I don't really see what the problem is.:confused:

Thanks for your reply. The problem is that she feels a B is more realistic for one of her subjects as she only just scraped an A this time. She would therefore feel more comfortable applying for an ABB course with ABB predicted grades - She is still going to try and get the A but doesn't want the added pressure of a higher offer being made if that makes sense :smile:
Reply 3
Edessa
Thanks for your reply. The problem is that she feels a B is more realistic for one of her subjects as she only just scraped an A this time. She would therefore feel more comfortable applying for an ABB course with ABB predicted grades - She is still going to try and get the A but doesn't want the added pressure of a higher offer being made if that makes sense :smile:

Ah, OK. Sorry, I misread your post. I thought that was the B she was already being predicted and she was trying to get her teacher to lower her other predictions as well.
Anyway, I don't think there's any reason for her to assume that her predicted grades will make her any more likely to get a higher offer, but if she's worried, she should probably try to email the departments she's applying to and ask them whether they have a policy of giving higher offers to applicants with higher predictions.
Reply 4
I'm in the same boat - I have AAB predictions but ABB at AS level. However, I think the general consensus is that uni's will most likely offer their minimum requirements, which is why i've mainly applied to ABB uni's and below.

Latest

Trending

Trending