Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've finally decide to start excersizing properly because I'm fed up of whinging about it.

However I have no stamina whatsoever, and want to start at home before going to a gym, lest I be there for 5 seconds and make a tit of myself by being too exhausted to carry on.

What home weights would people recommend for such a novice as myself. Links would be appreciated if you have a particular set in mind.

Thanks in advance,
    H-S

ReputationRep:
    Well if you wont be using them too much, get some cheap ones off argos. I'm assuuming your talking dumbells though!

For dumbell curls just get a weight you can do about 10 repitions on before your arm really struggles. Build on from there.

ReputationRep:
    It depends on what you feel comfortable with lifting in the first place..

ReputationRep:
    Start off with dumbbells, and head to a gym and toy around with each of the different weights (with some knowledge of the types of exercises you can do) to give yourself an idea of what weight is good for you (although this will vary depending on the exercise as well of course).

ReputationRep:
    just head down to the gym, ignore the sexually-frustrated muscle freaks, and experiment with the lightest weights. focus on form, since this is far more important than than the weight you can push. laugh at the idiots who are wasting their time by pushing 100kg+ with the wrong form.

Go outside and leg press your car.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what weights your looking to buy and what your budget it is..
    As most have already said a cheap dumbbell kit should be alright.
    Powerhouse have a few home kits:
    http://www.powerhouse-fitness.co.uk/...able-dumbbells
    But you could probably find some cheaper kits elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    I've finally decide to start excersizing properly because I'm fed up of whinging about it.

However I have no stamina whatsoever, and want to start at home before going to a gym, lest I be there for 5 seconds and make a tit of myself by being too exhausted to carry on.

What home weights would people recommend for such a novice as myself. Links would be appreciated if you have a particular set in mind.

Thanks in advance,
    H-S
    You should join a gym and do what's detailed in this post:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post21746775

If you REALLY don't want to join a gym (which is foolish in my view, but there you go), buy a set of adjustable dumbbells and the book INFINITE INTENSITY by Ross Enamait.

ReputationRep:
    It's clear that he said he wants to join a gym, but before he joins he wants to build up a little for self-confidence.

When you buy your kit, make sure you try a variety of lifts to start building different muscles. Not just bicep curls. I'm sure if you go on youtube there'll be different technique demo's you can learn from.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 20 KG set pf York weights!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cuckoo91)
    It's clear that he said he wants to join a gym, but before he joins he wants to build up a little for self-confidence.

Glad someone got it. Main reason I haven't bothered before is because I have major anxiety issues, so I want to build up some strength before going to the gym to do it properly.

Looking at dumbells, what's a good weight to start with. I'm 22 and as I said I have no previous training experience. 10 apiece, 20, 50, 400?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by History-Student)
    Glad someone got it. Main reason I haven't bothered before is because I have major anxiety issues, so I want to build up some strength before going to the gym to do it properly.

Looking at dumbells, what's a good weight to start with. I'm 22 and as I said I have no previous training experience. 10 apiece, 20, 50, 400?
    Nobody in the gym cares how strong/weak you are, provided you don't behave like a massive *******.

ReputationRep:
    It depends slightly on what kind of natural build you have, and your present level of strength. Make sure you get adjustable dumbbells, so as you practice and get stronger you can keep adding more weights onto the dumbbells. I'd say any set that has a max weight of 18-22kg would be suitable.
    But as I said, it depends on your body type. When I started, I just curled 8kg, now I curl 20-25kg.

I agree with what many of the others have said, most people in the gym won't really care what you do. As long as you don't try and show off (which I doubt you would considering the anxiety issues). Plus you can always go down on the off-peak hours when there's less people around.

Anyway, best of luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.