Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If a friend does something you don't like, do you forgive them? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So an interesting thing happened yesterday while walking with three friends... two are a couple, and I would say are fairly firmly grounded in their beliefs. The other one seemed to be (since he's Muslim and his parents are strict) and got a cigarette out and smoked the whole lot - the other two didn't like it and blanked him for a little while, but they'll come round (if they haven't already).

I don't want this to turn into a debate about cigarettes, but I'm just wondering that it seems to me that if you're desperate for companionship then you'll let almost anything slide.

When do friends say enough is enough? Do you risk losing your friendships? How many have you lost?

ReputationRep:
    I've argued many, many times with my mates. Although there is a line that, once crossed, is hard to come back from. However, I'm an open person, so its a far-flung line.

I've only fallen out with two mates. One slept with my GF at the time, and the other said that I was stupid for not going to Uni and going into Biking. The latter just annoyed me beyond belief, as I hate people telling what I can and can't do, but meh.

My best mate's a Muslim aswell, and whilst he doesn't smoke, we do argue about other things. Out of my three other best mates, well, all four of 'em would have to do something on par with the above if I was to fall out with them. I don't really like losing friends, I much prefer making them, hah.

ReputationRep:
    I do, but it depends.. I hate losing my close friends, but if they're not close enough to me, i dont really mind. I forgive, but i will never forget what they did though especially if its something big.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see a problem with forgiving a close friend if they've done something to really upset/annoy you. Unless it's something really major, like sleeping with your girlfriend, that would be crossing the line, no real friend would do that to you!

ReputationRep:
    i don't think smoking is against Islam. Shouldn't be a big issue...

ReputationRep:
    Almost always. Takes true betrayal for me to not forgive them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DH-Biker)
    I've argued many, many times with my mates. Although there is a line that, once crossed, is hard to come back from. However, I'm an open person, so its a far-flung line.

I've only fallen out with two mates. One slept with my GF at the time, and the other said that I was stupid for not going to Uni and going into Biking. The latter just annoyed me beyond belief, as I hate people telling what I can and can't do, but meh.

My best mate's a Muslim aswell, and whilst he doesn't smoke, we do argue about other things. Out of my three other best mates, well, all four of 'em would have to do something on par with the above if I was to fall out with them. I don't really like losing friends, I much prefer making them, hah.
    Dude is that you on the picture? That looks nicceeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Almost always. Takes true betrayal for me to not forgive them.
    This.

hi lemon :gah:

ReputationRep:
    If i thought the friend was a nice person i wouldnt let cigarette smoking or other vices get in the way

ReputationRep:
    Just because you forgive someone, it doesn't make you desperate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pl,okmijn)
    Dude is that you on the picture? That looks nicceeee
    Yeah man! Its in NZ, at Lake W-Something, (I forget the name).

My cousin took the pic, and my Brother is the guy in blue like 50ft away.

Cheers, by the way!

ReputationRep:
    I would forgive them over pretty much anything if it was something trivial and not that big a deal. At the end of the day they are my friends and my friends for a reason so im not going to lose a good friendship over something that shouldnt matter.
    If it was something really bad, almost life changing then yeah it would be difficult to forgive them I guess...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.