Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    but the policeman is so close to him, why can't he just grab hold of him and pull him down? or am i being stupid here?.. :/

ReputationRep:
    Why don't they just drive in a giant lorry with padding all around it under the bridge and then quickly grab him? If he jumps he falls onto the padding. Or the same thing with a bouncy castle?

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing selfish about wanting and needing to get to work, or to get home to pick up children stranded after school! This guy is clearly a muppet who is crying out for a bit of attention and is completely wasting emergency services' time. Hostage negotiators? Ambulances? Police? Traffic officers? Local wardens? What the...? They should keep an itemised bill going and when he finally gives it up (which he will cos he obviously doesn't really want to do himself in or he'd have gone out in the middle of the night and done it quickly) and present it to him. along with the lost revenues of the small business all along paradise circus and elsewhere that have had to shut for an entire day because of him. What a tool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    youd think so - but most people are not thinking "oh no hes more important than me arriving to work on time." they are thinking "crap im gonna be late what a pain."

At the end of the day this guy is screwing up thousands of commuters and workers in and outside of the city centre and like it or not sympathy for him (what little there was) is fast waning the more he dallys disrupting life even more. Unless of course your one of the gawkers waiting to see if this poor sod will jump

Cold yes - true yes.
    True it may be, but I wonder how many hours of sympathy people would be able to muster if he was their brother, or best mate. He may be disrupting daily life yes, but I would have thought those not directly effected by it - i.e the majority of TSR - would recognise he is clearly not in a rational state of mind and therefore cannot really be held accountable.

ReputationRep:
    OK but what about if it was your brother or best mate in hospital or in a car accident and through no fault of their own, did not receive medical/emergency care because this attention seeker was holding them all up and preventing them from getting to work?? This guy made the choice to go up there and is responsible for his own actions. It's not on that he is allowing his personal pain to impact an entire city and thousands of other people's lives. Genuinely suicidal people are far more often characterised by total isolation and a desire not to let on to anyone how they are feeling or what they are going to do so that they can get on and do it quietly and quickly. This guy is NOT genuinely suicidal, he's the worst kind of exhibitionist.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My view of this "Non-Jumper" is tainted by the fact an old school friend of mine has a very sick newborn baby at a hospital in Birmingham. She can only take him out of the hospital for 8 hours a day and was late taking him back last night because of the traffic stand still, putting her baby's health in serious danger. Now she is struggling to get into Birmingham to see her son again.

I sympathise with his man's depression and obvious problems, I do. But he's putting more than his own life at danger here.

I obviously don't want him to jump and end his life, but I would like him to back down and accept the help being offered to him. If he was serious about ending his life, he would have done it by now. It was a cry for help - and now the help is there. It should be over by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kellybee)
    True it may be, but I wonder how many hours of sympathy people would be able to muster if he was their brother, or best mate. He may be disrupting daily life yes, but I would have thought those not directly effected by it - i.e the majority of TSR - would recognise he is clearly not in a rational state of mind and therefore cannot really be held accountable.
    Of course he can be held accountable he knows exactly what hes doing, he was rational enough to understand "falling will kill me". Contrary to what many people think suicide can be very very rational and meticulous in the planning. He can see whats going on the amount of attention hes getting from police, media etc etc.

Naturally people will care more for a friend/family member than a random nobody (to them). People (including you) do not care about some person they dont know threatening to kill himself. they care about the disruption to thier lives. And it is becoming significant, small business already suffering in the economic climate will be closed around the area due to this. You think they care about one bloke standing on a bridge? They dont, they see a big black hole appearing in thier finances which can lead to worse things happening in thier lives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaramelRose)
    My view of this "Non-Jumper" is tainted by the fact an old school friend of mine has a very sick newborn baby at a hospital in Birmingham. She can only take him out of the hospital for 8 hours a day and was late taking him back last night because of the traffic stand still, putting her baby's health in serious danger. Now she is struggling to get into Birmingham to see her son again.

I sympathise with his man's depression and obvious problems, I do. But he's putting more than his own life at danger here.

I obviously don't want him to jump and end his life, but I would like him to back down and accept the help being offered to him. If he was serious about ending his life, he would have done it by now. It was a cry for help - and now the help is there. It should be over by now.
    This was the point i was trying to make in my opening post.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    I saw this unfold for a couple of hours yesterday from when the whole thing began. He was walking up and down such a narrow railing in the rain, turning round, bending backwards and stuff to see how far he could bend without losing his balance... it's a miracle he didn't accidentally slip. He's been down from the railings quite a bit but any time anyone approached him without his 'permission' he'd get straight back up there. I never expected it to carry on this long though, hope he makes the right decision and gets down from there sensibly.

ReputationRep:
    Just push him off, he probably self harms so he won't mind anyway.

ReputationRep:
    How many lanes are underneath? Park three lorries under the bridge with mattresses on them and he can't really jump far.

ReputationRep:
    The midlands is normally spectacularly dull.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nativeLondoner)
    The midlands is normally spectacularly dull.
    Ooh get you. Bit of a generalisation don't you think? On what basis are you making such a ridiculous and inaccurate statement? The midlands is an amazing place to live full of things to do and see and amazing people who don't, unlike "Londoners", constantly obsess over who is less "cool" or "interesting" than them. Maybe if you spent a bit more time with your eyes (and mind)open and a bit less time with your head stuck up your own ar*e you might realise that. Absolutely pathetic, shame on you.

ReputationRep:
    Of course he can be held accountable he knows exactly what hes doing, he was rational enough to understand "falling will kill me". Contrary to what many people think suicide can be very very rational and meticulous in the planning. He can see whats going on the amount of attention hes getting from police, media etc etc.

Naturally people will care more for a friend/family member than a random nobody (to them). People (including you) do not care about some person they dont know threatening to kill himself. they care about the disruption to thier lives. And it is becoming significant, small business already suffering in the economic climate will be closed around the area due to this. You think they care about one bloke standing on a bridge? They dont, they see a big black hole appearing in thier finances which can lead to worse things happening in thier lives.
    Being compos mentis enough to realise that falling will result in death does not necessarily translate to being aware of the chaos around you. There have been cases of people that have been practically comatose with depression, unaware that hours or even days had passed without them moving.

I would have thought the majority of people care about a person they don't know threatening to kill themselves, including myself. Otherwise someone would have pushed him by now. You have a bleak outlook indeed if you hand-on-heart believe that the owners of those business' would rather see that man jump than lose a day or two's income.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belleedle)
    OK but what about if it was your brother or best mate in hospital or in a car accident and through no fault of their own, did not receive medical/emergency care because this attention seeker was holding them all up and preventing them from getting to work?? This guy made the choice to go up there and is responsible for his own actions. It's not on that he is allowing his personal pain to impact an entire city and thousands of other people's lives. Genuinely suicidal people are far more often characterised by total isolation and a desire not to let on to anyone how they are feeling or what they are going to do so that they can get on and do it quietly and quickly. This guy is NOT genuinely suicidal, he's the worst kind of exhibitionist.
    And people are seeing this as a bad thing?? You don't wait for an alcoholic to have sclerosis of the liver before you send them to an AA meeting. His actions, whilst not commendable, are a massive cry for help. If help is not given for as many hours as its needed where do you draw the line? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I would have thought the majority of people care about a person they don't know threatening to kill themselves, including myself. Otherwise someone would have pushed him by now. You have a bleak outlook indeed if you hand-on-heart believe that the owners of those business' would rather see that man jump than lose a day or two's income.
    Theres a difference between apathy and a desire to murder someone (which pushing him off would amount to). You dont care - after this thread you wont spend two seconds thinking about the poor soul trying to jump and even if you do give a week you will have forgotton all about it whether he jumps or not. You might feel some socially warrented "oh the poor guy" but thats about it.

I have a realistic outlook. If your a struggling business and losing those two days of valuable income your overheads dont decrease by much (aside from not using electric for two days) but your profits equate to 0 (technically negative figures as you have no income) those two days could mean defaulting on a mortage payment or bringing your business closer to closing down. If you and your family are threatened with homelessness i would pretty much garuntee he doesnt give a damn about a jumper.

I dont work for a struggling business and my boss has already come up to me regarding the number of people who came in late this morning due to the disruption in traffic. (it wasnt just the area i run it was a building wide thing) We as a company have lost revunue because of it and thats something he really doesnt like. (blooming heck im coming off so corporate here - its almost scary). He doesnt care about a jumper - he cares about revenue. The same as any business does.

And people are seeing this as a bad thing?? You don't wait for an alcoholic to have sclerosis of the liver before you send them to an AA meeting. His actions, whilst not commendable, are a massive cry for help. If help is not given for as many hours as its needed where do you draw the line? :dontknow:
    But thats the thing i really dont get, why should the city have to wait for him to decide to jump or come down? Bring him down, his actions have reprecussions and he needs to learn this. By all means get him help - im not cruel, im not saying leave him out to the crows. But his antics are causing a lot of hassle and it could be resolved quickly. Well a lot quicker than this anyway

ReputationRep:
    Shoot him with a bean-bag.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, hello...? You don't "send" someone to an AA meeting, you trust that they will realise by themselves that they have a problem and take themselves to an AA meeting before it gets out of hand and ***** up their life and the lives of those around them, something this guy should have done way before he made a giant spectacle of himself by standing on those railings. Being depressed is no excuse for causing upset, distress, misery and inconvenience to thousands of people and businesses. It's total exhibitionism, self-conscious pity/glory-seeking and a waste of crucial emergency service time and taxpayer's money. I initially thought he could be off his head on drugs but after 24 hours he would've come down (in both senses!). Or perhaps it's one big prank..?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Irony - people complaining that he's so selfish for making them late for work.
    where's the irony

ReputationRep:
    link to bbc http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ngham-11441702

Ok 15 hours? Yesterday we were feeling sympathetic now we're just getting annoyed. why is he still up there? why havent they got him down yet? This is causing a major disruption and its annoying the hell out of people. Office of 20 people and this morning no one is saying "oh the poor guy he really needs help" Now its "it took me two hours to get home last night" and I've had three phone calls from people who are stuck in traffic going to be late because of this guy and they are not being pleasent in regards to him.

Nevermind the people late for work, never mind the traffic jams, never mind that business are losing productivity, money and time through this guys actions.

What about if an ambulance has to reach someone or the fire service, they are stuck in the same conjestion because where this guy is is a major throughfare within the city. not to mention if this man had jumped yesterday what if some person had hit him? A person completely not attached to this guy has just killed/helped the concrete finish off a human being. doesnt matter that it wasnt thier fault they will still feel guilty for it. Its the same when people jump in front of trains to commit suicide, never mind the victim its the driver i feel sorry for.

This jumper needs help but how much help are we giving him bringing him meals and going "come on me ole son you dont have to do this." Get one one of those instant blow up mattresses and then get him to jump and if he doesnt give him a push, he lands on soft mattress no harm no foul, the police can open the roads again and this guy can get the counciling he needs.

Thoughts people?
    they should get a bouncy castle out, im being serious here, are the police such retards that they cant get a bouncy castle?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.