Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    But it was sooooo cold last night! How has he put up with it for 15 hours?

Can't they just take a big net up there and catch him or something? It is a bit ridiculous, 15 hours? He's clearly not THAT suicidal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Pregnant)
    they should get a bouncy castle out, im being serious here, are the police such retards that they cant get a bouncy castle?
    Well they haven't managed to get one guy off some railings so I think hiring a bouncy castle would def be beyond them. Seriously they should just run up to him as if they're gonna push him off and I GUARANTEE you that moron would be off those railings and running to safety as quick as anything. I'm telling you that guy does not want to jump, or he'd have done it hours ago. Saying that though imagine if you were the policeman who did it and he DID jump! Bring out the bouncy castle!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WrigglyMammoth)
    where's the irony
    People are complaining about the impact he is having on their lives, which is a selfish motive. It is ironic for someone to use the very same mindset to criticise that mindset.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    But it was sooooo cold last night! How has he put up with it for 15 hours?

Can't they just take a big net up there and catch him or something? It is a bit ridiculous, 15 hours? He's clearly not THAT suicidal.
    Oh really? Do you have a psychological degree to back that up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    People are complaining about the impact he is having on their lives, which is a selfish motive. It is ironic for someone to use the very same mindset to criticise that mindset.
    Er, irony is the use of words to convey a meaning that is different or opposite to their literal meaning i.e. it is very similar to sarcasm but with usually a more satirical (rather than insulting) intention. I don't think there is any true irony whatsoever in calling someone selfish whilst supposedly (according to you) being selfish themselves. Think you need to think about what you say before you say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    Oh really? Do you have a psychological degree to back that up?
    No but surely if you're going to kill yourself you'll try and do it regardless.. you won't fanny around for 15 hours in the freezing cold while people go, pleeeease don't jump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belleedle)
    Er, irony is the use of words to convey a meaning that is different or opposite to their literal meaning i.e. it is very similar to sarcasm but with usually a more satirical (rather than insulting) intention. I don't think there is any true irony whatsoever in calling someone selfish whilst supposedly (according to you) being selfish themselves. Think you need to think about what you say before you say it.
    Situational irony is when the result of an action is the opposite of the desired effect, for example trying to correct someone while being wrong yourself. If you endorse something (use it) to then try and damn the exact same thing, I would class that as irony.

ReputationRep:
    No but surely if you're going to kill yourself you'll try and do it regardless.. you won't fanny around for 15 hours in the freezing cold while people go, pleeeease don't jump
    Have you ever been suicidal? Killing yourself is the biggest decision in your life.. bigger than buying a house of getting married... how long do you take to decide to buy a house?

ReputationRep:
    lol he's still up there?

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been suicidal? Killing yourself is the biggest decision in your life.. bigger than buying a house of getting married... how long do you take to decide to buy a house?
    :confused: You seem quite upset I've insulted him. Are you him? Are you on the internets on the bridge? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    :confused: You seem quite upset I've insulted him. Are you him? Are you on the internets on the bridge? :eek:
    Yes... Yes I am :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So hes at 20 hours now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JAKstriked)
    lol he's still up there?
    It appears so, well the news just said the road closures were still in place due to the "police incident".

ReputationRep:
    But I wouldn't go and stand on some railings for 24 hours and close off a city centre while I decide which house to buy!! and btw "killing myself" will NOT be the biggest decision in my life cos I would never do anything so selfish to my family and friends. Some people really need to get a grip of themselves, stop being so self-pitying and start contributing a bit more to society. Perhaps if they came out of their darkened bedrooms and stopped cutting themselves and listening to depressing music they might feel their lives have more value and might consider NOT destroying the lives of their Mums/Dads/siblings/friends by topping themselves. Yes I have been depressed, but I snapped out of it when I grew up and grew a pair and realised there are people out there with real problems out of their control (famine/flood/earthquake/homelessness) that are much much bigger than mine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Situational irony is when the result of an action is the opposite of the desired effect, for example trying to correct someone while being wrong yourself. If you endorse something (use it) to then try and damn the exact same thing, I would class that as irony.
    I applaud your convenient self-made interpretation of a pretty well documented and defined noun. Just goes to show you can prove anything you like with a bit of well applied b*llocks!! Well done my friend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belleedle)
    But I wouldn't go and stand on some railings for 24 hours and close off a city centre while I decide which house to buy!! and btw "killing myself" will NOT be the biggest decision in my life cos I would never do anything so selfish to my family and friends. Some people really need to get a grip of themselves, stop being so self-pitying and start contributing a bit more to society. Perhaps if they came out of their darkened bedrooms and stopped cutting themselves and listening to depressing music they might feel their lives have more value and might consider NOT destroying the lives of their Mums/Dads/siblings/friends by topping themselves. Yes I have been depressed, but I snapped out of it when I grew up and grew a pair and realised there are people out there with real problems out of their control (famine/flood/earthquake/homelessness) that are much much bigger than mine.
    You're a joke :rolleyes:. You say its selfish to your family and friends yet you expect the person to carry on living feeling depressed as **** as so to not cause them trouble :rolleyes:. Ironic. If you have a mental health condition then over peoples problems do not relate to yours because they are in a normal mind frame.

Anyway im not going to go into an argument over this so reply all you want because it wont get an answer.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I've seen so many heated arguments and debates over this man today. And I can't figure out where I stand.

For those saying it's selfish of him to be almost 'demanding' so much attention (off the press and especially the emergency services), blocking crucial roads and not giving much thought to family and friends - yes, I agree. He is causing many many people trouble and aggrevation and could be endangering others' lives (my friends baby for example).

However, to want to jump off a bridge in the first place must mean he is in a dire situation that he cannot see any other way out of. Maybe it's the thought of his family and friends that has stopped him from jumping for 24 hours? It's not a decision anyone would take lightly, and as time goes on, the pressure he's putting himself under must be immense. I certainly don't wish him harm.

I'm a strong believer that suicide is never the answer, and so I cannot defend someone for wanting to end their life, but I do want him to get the help and support he needs and I wish he'd realise that there are other options for himself soon.

Preferably before Rush hour hits again.

ReputationRep:
    You're a joke :rolleyes:. You say its selfish to your family and friends yet you expect the person to carry on living feeling depressed as **** as so to not cause them trouble :rolleyes:. Ironic. If you have a mental health condition then over peoples problems do not relate to yours because they are in a normal mind frame.

Anyway im not going to go into an argument over this so reply all you want because it wont get an answer.
    I'm not saying they should just grin and bear it - if they are seriously mentally ill then they should go and seek (and accept) proper help from the right people. I do however believe that the majority of people who say they are "depressed" are simply attention seeking wallowers who dont want to deal with real life. Life is hard, and it just gets harder the older you get, and people need to deal with that. But there is a lot of joy and pleasure to be had from it too, most of which comes from those who love you. So yes, it is selfish to kill yourself, but it is also selfish to continue living in real depression as this too impacts massively on those around you. I should know, my Mum lived with severe, physical depression for years, then had a nervous breakdown and tried to kill herself and ended up being sectioned for a couple of months. She's fine now cos she accepted help, but I still see suicide as a totally selfish act.
    BTW it's really not cool for you to have your opinion and then say you won't reply to anyone who counters you, seems indicative of a fairly weak person/argument, but hey, i'm just a joke so what do I know? Thanks for the personal insult btw, nice to see you're being so adult about this!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.