Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    And will people PLEASE stop using the word irony/ironic when they clearly have no idea at all what it actually means? It just makes your posts make absolutely no sense to those who do have a grasp of the english language. Thank you.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why's he called the birmingham jumper?
    He aint done any jumping yet.

They should called him the birmingham stander instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by belleedle)
    I'm not saying they should just grin and bear it - if they are seriously mentally ill then they should go and seek (and accept) proper help from the right people. I do however believe that the majority of people who say they are "depressed" are simply attention seeking wallowers who dont want to deal with real life. Life is hard, and it just gets harder the older you get, and people need to deal with that. But there is a lot of joy and pleasure to be had from it too, most of which comes from those who love you. So yes, it is selfish to kill yourself, but it is also selfish to continue living in real depression as this too impacts massively on those around you. I should know, my Mum lived with severe, physical depression for years, then had a nervous breakdown and tried to kill herself and ended up being sectioned for a couple of months. She's fine now cos she accepted help, but I still see suicide as a totally selfish act.
    BTW it's really not cool for you to have your opinion and then say you won't reply to anyone who counters you, seems indicative of a fairly weak person/argument, but hey, i'm just a joke so what do I know? Thanks for the personal insult btw, nice to see you're being so adult about this!
    No I said im not replying to your opinion because I dont want an argument, I never said dont give your opinion did I? Dont make rubbish up.

ReputationRep:
    The Birmingham time and money waster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Idiot-Finder)
    No I said im not replying to your opinion because I dont want an argument, I never said dont give your opinion did I? Dont make rubbish up.
    Read my reply properly and then get back to me. That is not what I said.

ReputationRep:
    I had someone berate me for hours once because I said a negative comment about people jumping under tubes and how it traumatises the driver and disrupts people's travel and woooaaaah he didn't let it go for hours.

And if he's reading this, I SAID ABOUT TRAUMATISING THE DRIVER FIRST. :huff: But I'm sorry. :puppyeyes:

ReputationRep:
    Read my reply properly and then get back to me. That is not what I said.
    Yes it is.

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is.
    This is getting ridiculous. No it isn't. I said it's not cool for you to have your say and then tell others that they can reply but that you won't respond because you don't want to discuss it. Pretty secondary school if you ask me.
    But, oh look, you responded didn't you? Surprise surprise! :p:

ReputationRep:
    This is getting ridiculous. No it isn't. I said it's not cool for you to have your say and then tell others that they can reply but that you won't respond because you don't want to discuss it. Pretty secondary school if you ask me.
    But, oh look, you responded didn't you? Surprise surprise! :p:
    No im not replying to your point.

If I dont want to argue about it I dont want to argue about it, sounds childish in my opinion to try make a fuss about that :rolleyes: anyway bye.

ReputationRep:
    No im not replying to your point.

If I dont want to argue about it I dont want to argue about it, sounds childish in my opinion to try make a fuss about that :rolleyes: anyway bye.
    Ha ha see ya matey, hope you handle life a bit better than you handle a bit of debate on a forum otherwise you're screwed!

ReputationRep:
    Just shoot him. He is wasting time and money and is obviously a **** for doing it.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway back to the point - HE'S STILL THERE - HOW?? WHAT?? WHY?? I've got to get home from central brum tonight on the bus, should be great fun! Let's hope the muppet doesn't prevent a doctor or nurse getting to work who would have saved someone's life, someone who actually enjoyed living and didn't ask for any of this to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimbo1234)
    Just shoot him. He is wasting time and money and is obviously a **** for doing it.
    Hear hear

ReputationRep:
    he now has polish and russian interpreters there trying to calm him off the damn bridge

this is ludicrous now

ReputationRep:
    I dont think the main thing on his mind atm is other peoples conveniance.

ReputationRep:
    I applaud your convenient self-made interpretation of a pretty well documented and defined noun. Just goes to show you can prove anything you like with a bit of well applied b*llocks!! Well done my friend!
    This is an example of irony. You're telling him is wrong, when in fact you're wrong.

Situtational irony: An example of situational irony would occur if a professional pickpocket had his own pocket picked just as he was in the act of picking someone else's pocket. The irony is generated by the surprise recognition by the audience of a reality in contrast with expectation or appearance, while another audience, victim, or character puts confidence in the appearance as reality (in this case, the pickpocket doesn't expect his own pocket to be picked). The surprise recognition by the audience often produces a comic effect, making irony often funny.

http://www.bookhooks.com/glossary.cfm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    he now has polish and russian interpreters there trying to calm him off the damn bridge

this is ludicrous now

And live feed on this? I watched a man do similar off a building once climbing around like spider man in boxers before climbing back in

ReputationRep:
    This is getting a bit ridiculous.

I saw the man on my way back home from New Street station yesterday afternoon, and he'd been there for 15 minutes, long enough for a dozen police to arrive, and traffic to back up along Broad Street.

It was really horrible; I could only just tear myself away from watching. He kept leaning forwards slightly, and I had to look away when I thought he was going to actually do it.

But then I got home, found he was still up there. And now he still hasn't budged?

A guy in a crazy jacket passed me while I was watching, saying that he knew the guy, and that he was just doing it for the attention. If he actually was suicidal, I would've thought he'd have realised by now that he couldn't do it...

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I just drove into Birmingham, saw the sign saying Paradise Circus was closed, shopped for hours round the bullring, came home and I had no idea this was going on!

ReputationRep:
    Er, irony is the use of words to convey a meaning that is different or opposite to their literal meaning i.e. it is very similar to sarcasm but with usually a more satirical (rather than insulting) intention. I don't think there is any true irony whatsoever in calling someone selfish whilst supposedly (according to you) being selfish themselves. Think you need to think about what you say before you say it.
    I think you need to become properly attuned to the nuances of diction and connotation before holding forth on matters semantic with definitions culled from 'My First English Lexicon'. (Of course, the real irony here is that you should purport a superior comprehension of English whilst perpetrating the most laughable solecism.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.