Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The UK's global political role (RE: Europe) watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: What should be the future global political role of the UK?
    World Power?
    10.00%
    Further European integration?
    45.00%
    Independence from the EU?
    30.00%
    Much as we are?
    10.00%
    None of the above?
    5.00%

ReputationRep:
    An interesting point raised on another forum I frequent, thought I would bring it to TSR. With the coalition fully into the swing of things, and the review of defence spending imminent, there is scope for the debate as to the UK's future world role again.

A former imperial superpower, political powerhouse, should we again look towards a pivotal role in global decision making? Whilst still an EU member state, do we continue our coldness towards Brussels, and look across the Atlantic for our global affairs, punching above our weight?

Or, as many have suggested, do we fully integrate into the EU and it's economic system? Do we finally realise that we no longer have the economic basis and politcal clout to be a major player in the world?

For those of the anti-Europe persuasion, I've included an option for complete independence from the EU.

As ever, if the poll options provided don't cover your opinion on the topic, many apologies.

ReputationRep:
    We should further intergrate into the EU definitely, because we're not a significant country anymore, however I am sceptical about us joining the single currency. As an idea it's shakey because setting one interest rate for so many diverse economies has it's problems (however that doesn't mean i'm opposed to it in the right circumstances), as we've already seen, but I would definitely be pro EU-intergration i.e the UK taking a more active role, less opt-outs, and less scepticism from the UK towards Europe.

So yes, the UK is just the same as any other medium sized European country now and we do need to get over our 'delusion de grandeur' that too much of the population seems to have (Empire! blah blah etc etc Rule the waves!! and all that rubbish) and imo the way forward is with Europe, not standing alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    We should further intergrate into the EU definitely, because we're not a significant country anymore, however I am sceptical about us joining the single currency. As an idea it's shakey because setting one interest rate for so many diverse economies has it's problems (however that doesn't mean i'm opposed to it in the right circumstances), as we've already seen, but I would definitely be pro EU-intergration i.e the UK taking a more active role, less opt-outs, and less scepticism from the UK towards Europe.

So yes, the UK is just the same as any other medium sized European country now and we do need to get over our 'delusion de grandeur' that too much of the population seems to have (Empire! blah blah etc etc Rule the waves!! and all that rubbish) and imo the way forward is with Europe, not standing alone.
    Well, the first reply to my thread has said everything I would have said in reply! Completely agree. With regards to the single currency, I think it is working fairly well, but I too am sceptical about joining it. I don't like the idea of Europe having such a say in economic matters like as you say, interest rates. However, our system clearly has it's pitfalls as well.

ReputationRep:
    We should move towards federalisation as a united Europe, because I don't think Britain on it's own can maintain relevance on the world stage, and we certainly can't maintain any relevance when it comes to the security council.

But such a state should be careful in impinging on the liberties of individuals. I actually don't think the EU does this at the moment, not more than any national government within the EU, but if we are to become a superstate then it should be fundamentally democratic, secular and value civil liberties.

ReputationRep:
    Relevance? Meh. I don't really care.

We shouldn't be in the EU because it doesn't benefit us. I can go further into this but I shan't for now, as I'm lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Out, please. We put in more than we get out, and in return get chastised by people who don't care about us at all.

ReputationRep:
    Withdrawal- see the Eurosceptic society for my reasoning.

ReputationRep:
    Become a super state in good time

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.