Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone else here wanting to work with animals? watch

ReputationRep:
    I would really enjoy working with animals as a future career, however, i'm not 100% sure how to get into a career working with animals. I've been having a look on different websites about working in kennels, and in zoos, but I would rather hear from someone who is acctually working towards a career themslves, and how they are getting there, e.g. courses/work experience. I'm doing animal care in college at the moment, but only for a year, so i'm not sure what to do next year, and whether I should go to university or not.

Replies will be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    my mother was a vetinary nurse and it started out as a fluke through a friend who owned a vetinary practice, she worked on the job and took night classes to get her qualifications as a nurse.

Its not an easy sector to get into you without contacts, however if working with animals is your plan maybe subjects like zoology

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silverbolt)
    my mother was a vetinary nurse and it started out as a fluke through a friend who owned a vetinary practice, she worked on the job and took night classes to get her qualifications as a nurse.

Its not an easy sector to get into you without contacts, however if working with animals is your plan maybe subjects like zoology
    Yeah, i'm doing an animal care course at the moment which is a BTEC course. I don't really want to go into the veinary side of it, that takes far too long in university, and you need very good grades to even get into that sector. Did your mother get into it via work experience also? I was wondering if I should start doing more work experience, as it may help me eventually get a placement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfergirl1)
    Yeah, i'm doing an animal care course at the moment which is a BTEC course. I don't really want to go into the veinary side of it, that takes far too long in university, and you need very good grades to even get into that sector. Did your mother get into it via work experience also? I was wondering if I should start doing more work experience, as it may help me eventually get a placement.
    Work experiance will do you wonders for the simple fact is it gives you contacts, people to speak to, people who can reccomend you. Its an area that as i said its more you know than what you know. Get work experiance at horse stables even if its only mucking out or animal reserves, RSPCA rescue sites (but not niche ones that only cater for say dogs), animal sanctuarys, even game parks/nature reserves speak to people ingratiate yourself make yourself memorable to others.

My mother go in through a friend and worked from there with no prior experiance in the chose field other than her cat breeding programme

ReputationRep:
    Work experiance will do you wonders for the simple fact is it gives you contacts, people to speak to, people who can reccomend you. Its an area that as i said its more you know than what you know. Get work experiance at horse stables even if its only mucking out or animal reserves, RSPCA rescue sites (but not niche ones that only cater for say dogs), animal sanctuarys, even game parks/nature reserves speak to people ingratiate yourself make yourself memorable to others.

My mother go in through a friend and worked from there with no prior experiance in the chose field other than her cat breeding programme
    Okay, thanks, you helped alot, i'm doing work experience every tuesday, as a part of my course, I was just wondering what I should do next year, and if I would have to go to university?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks, you helped alot, i'm doing work experience every tuesday, as a part of my course, I was just wondering what I should do next year, and if I would have to go to university?
    that i couldnt help you with im afraid but someone at your college or even your work placements should be able give you the info

ReputationRep:
    I've always wanted to be a Marine Biologist...still do, but I didn't get the grades so now I'm going to be a nurse!

Sorry that didn't help :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    I've always wanted to be a Marine Biologist...still do, but I didn't get the grades so now I'm going to be a nurse!

Sorry that didn't help :p:
    Aww, i'm sure if you put your heart to it you could still train to become a marine biologist, however, hard it may be. I'm learning about all different animals at the moment, but I would like to work with police dogs, or in kennels with domestic animals, that would be fun, I heard that becoming a vet takes about 9 years in uni, that kind of put me off of it.

ReputationRep:
    No

ReputationRep:
    that i couldnt help you with im afraid but someone at your college or even your work placements should be able give you the info
    Yeah, no worries, I think it's more for people wanting to become vets.

ReputationRep:
    Aww, i'm sure if you put your heart to it you could still train to become a marine biologist, however, hard it may be. I'm learning about all different animals at the moment, but I would like to work with police dogs, or in kennels with domestic animals, that would be fun, I heard that becoming a vet takes about 9 years in uni, that kind of put me off of it.
    Aw my friend worked in kennels and she loved it!
    9 years though:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemical_bex)
    Aw my friend worked in kennels and she loved it!
    9 years though:eek:
    Apparently becoming a vet is harder than becoming a doctor, because, you got to learn about all different kinds of animals, not just humans. Animal biology is acctually really hard.

ReputationRep:
    I heard that becoming a vet takes about 9 years in uni, that kind of put me off of it.
    :eek3:

Thankfully it's only 5 :o:

Just putting it out there...

ReputationRep:
    Do we get to take them home for the night and foogle them? If so, I want to work with them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foooooooooogle)
    Do we get to take them home for the night and foogle them? If so, I want to work with them
    Probally not, but if there's eggs for example you may get to hatch them at home, and keep the baby birds for a while until they're old enough to be put out with the others, that what some zoos do.

ReputationRep:
    I want to work with animal too

I've been to college and got a national diploma in animal management but tbh it hasn't helped me at all. Animal jobs are few are far between if you have little or no experience, in my opinion your best bet is to get a full time job for not in like a shop or something you would like to do for the meantime and volunteer to get some experience on your side.

I have been searching for a career with animals for 5 months now and have only managed to get around 4 interviews with no luck.

Persistence is the key really

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl92)
    I want to work with animal too

I've been to college and got a national diploma in animal management but tbh it hasn't helped me at all. Animal jobs are few are far between if you have little or no experience, in my opinion your best bet is to get a full time job for not in like a shop or something you would like to do for the meantime and volunteer to get some experience on your side.

I have been searching for a career with animals for 5 months now and have only managed to get around 4 interviews with no luck.

Persistence is the key really
    Did you do your course at college, or uni? I'm doing a subsidorary diploma at college, but it's just coursework. I'm hoping to do work experience at a zoo for 17 days which would be good, hopefully you'll find something which involves working with animals, it is hard.

ReputationRep:
    I done my course at college and work experience at a zoo would be an amazing experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stargirl92)
    I done my course at college and work experience at a zoo would be an amazing experience
    Yeah, i'm deffently looking forward to it.

ReputationRep:
    Probally not, but if there's eggs for example you may get to hatch them at home, and keep the baby birds for a while until they're old enough to be put out with the others, that what some zoos do.

so we wait till they are older, THEN we can foogle them?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.