Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It is very difficult to find a job with animals. A lot of zoos and other animal places will hire internally first and foremost. Combined with the fact that due to the recession, a lot of people are staying put in their jobs so there is even less out there.

That said, it really does depend on what you want to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixster)
    It is very difficult to find a job with animals. A lot of zoos and other animal places will hire internally first and foremost. Combined with the fact that due to the recession, a lot of people are staying put in their jobs so there is even less out there.

That said, it really does depend on what you want to do.
    Yeah, I would like to work in kennels to begin with, and then maybe move on to become a zoo keeper, however, i've been told that zoo keepers get very little pay, and most end up poor, which I obviously don't want to end up being. So, i'm not 100% sure what exactally I want to be, just need to find what suits me best in the animal side of things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfergirl1)
    Yeah, I would like to work in kennels to begin with, and then maybe move on to become a zoo keeper, however, i've been told that zoo keepers get very little pay, and most end up poor, which I obviously don't want to end up being. So, i'm not 100% sure what exactally I want to be, just need to find what suits me best in the animal side of things.
    Finding work in a kennels shouldn't be too hard provided you have some experience with dogs. It is often poorly paid though, with very long hours (and early starts). It is also physical and is mostly centred around cleaning...you'll spend more time cleaning the kennels than interacting with the dogs, put it that way.

If I were you I would just continue with your course and see what happens. Voluteer and do any work experience that comes your way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trixster)
    Finding work in a kennels shouldn't be too hard provided you have some experience with dogs. It is often poorly paid though, with very long hours (and early starts). It is also physical and is mostly centred around cleaning...you'll spend more time cleaning the kennels than interacting with the dogs, put it that way.

If I were you I would just continue with your course and see what happens. Voluteer and do any work experience that comes your way.
    Yeah, I don't mind cleaning them out, and stuff, but it's the pay that's annouying, they pay you very little for very long hours, e.g. a day in the kennels is about 8:30am - 6:00pm, and you won't make much money doing that. I want to eventually work abroad anyway, so I might get better pay abroad.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya.. I started the level 3 two year animal course last year.. and I really want to work with animals.. hardly knew anything to begin with to do with animals.. but now I know a lot more. The biology side of things is hard and I'm learning about so many different animals I have never heard of before.

I have no idea what career I want. I know I don't want to go to university, because I'm quite quiet and will probably find it hard being there. I love learning about animals and doing practical lessons, but I just want to get out there and start working.

How you getting on with your animal course? I'm enjoying certain things to do with it and I am thinking about working with dogs.. maybe training dogs for the disabled etc.. but I'm not sure if that is what the volunteers do

Anyway, hope you're enjoying it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 10, 2011
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.