Turn on thread page Beta

I don't like Music watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Are you musical yourself (as in do you have a good ear, do you sing in tune?) I've heard that there are some people who are so completely tone deaf that they think all the notes are the same; they literally cannot tell if one note is higher or lower than another, no matter what size of interval is between them. All music is just 'noise' to them, and so they dislike it. This is incredibly rare though, in its severest form.
    Like Darwin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robofish999)
    Hey guys. I am a guy who doesn't particularly care about music and even though people don't outright say it, I can tell people think its strange and think of me as boring in some cases. I appreciate what music adds to films. tv programmes etc but in terms of listening to songs generally, it just does nothing for me. Its also a great conversation killer when people ask me about music and I try to either explain that I'm not interested or I sidestep that part of the conversation.

Is anyone else the same regarding music as me?
    You haven't listened to enough music, you probably have just heard a few mainstream songs off the radio and assumed that's all there is.
    Listen to a load of different genres each day and you will surprise yourself by finding something you really like.

ReputationRep:
    ...then why post on the Music sub-board? :facepalm2:

That would be like me posting on the chat board with a thread entitled "I have nothing to say".

ReputationRep:
    I don't like music.

I LOVE IT!

ReputationRep:
    Someone else recently made a thread on this very same topic. Anyway, I see nothing wrong with it. If it doesn't interest you that much, then fine, it's not gonna kill ya, so whatever. It's just like how I don't really like football that much, yet some people go crazy over it. It's no biggie, just do what makes you happy

ReputationRep:
    I feel sorry for you OP.

What does interest you then? As long as you have something to talk about at parties other than sitting at home with your face in a textbook (not saying you do, just saying you need something to talk about).

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm: Don't believe you.

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure you let people know you have other interests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    A guy I used to be friends with wasn't into music for a long time but then he suddenly found some groups he liked. It's a bit odd for some people I guess but I don't think it should be that much of a convo killer.

Off topic-omgiloveyouresignaturepic. *drools*
    On topic-

Dude, don't worry. I used to be the same. Then I discovered the gorgeousness of Gary Lightbody, and fell in love with Snow Patrol.
    Sadly that love has been replaced by Mr B.Springsteen, the massive legend that that man is. Seriously. GREATEST. ARTIST. EVER.

ReputationRep:
    thats because you don't listen to shoegaze, metal or classical! In all honesty though, I find it takes the right kind of music for me to just sit there and listen to it and do nothing else. Although I would say that metal makes up over 80% of my listening I tend to listen to it while doing other stuff, like playing games, doing work e.t.c. Some albums are so good I will sit there and listen to, but they aren't too many really, mostly atmospheric black metal. Othertimes I focus solely on the music within metal is when I go to gigs, or have metal nights with a few friends and just play great songs and have a few drinks, mosh kind of thing.

Shoegaze though can be extremely atmospheric and really only show their true qualities when listened to fully, with this creating some brilliant soundscapes and atmospheres - best listened to on headphones with your eyes shut and just letting your mind go blank and just drift into the music.

Classical can be hit or miss really, operatic vocals completely ruin it for me no matter how good the music is, but the instrumentation in these genres is incredible, I will never fathom the genius of some of these composers who can write whole symphonies for lots of different instruments, I can barely write a guitar riff.

I recommend these songs:
    Shoegaze (so called because it mostly uses guitar pedals and effects, so the guitarist is looking at his/her feet):
    Slowdive - Alison, Machine Gun, Waves and When the sun hits
    Lovesliescrushing - any song
    destroyalldreamers (more like post rock, but its still really good) - any song
    Alcest - souvenirs de autre monde

metal:
    The Gathering - In Motion II
    Burzum - dunkelheit
    Iron Maiden - Rime of the ancient mariner
    Black Sabbath - children of the grave.
    Some heavier stuff:
    Slayer - reign in blood
    Mayhem - freezing moon
    Dismember - skin her alive
    Classical (these are symphonies of more than one song):
    Beethovens 4th and 6th symphonies
    Vivaldi - 4 seasons
    Holst - the planets.

Basically this should just let you know about some genres of music you don't know very much about and give you some ideas of other kinds of music. I would completely understand if you don't like ANY of what I have posted, but I think if you have only really heard radio music and say you dislike it then you need some other stuff. It's like saying you dislike food and having only tried mcdonalds.

ReputationRep:
    you're a moron, it's the greatest gift we have.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you need to find music you find slightly interesting, and branch out.

ReputationRep:
    Think I'm the opposite to you... I can't walk anywhere or even fall asleep without music playing.

ReputationRep:
    I do like music, but I know someone who doesn't. They were quite a weird guy, but not because he didn't like music, that wasn't really relevant until we had to make a music video with him in Media Studies and he refused to give us any input.

ReputationRep:

You have to at least appreciate this.

ReputationRep:
    Now you do...

ReputationRep:
    It is odd and it isn't.

I mean, it is odd in the sense that most people like some form of music and it is unescapable as we are blasted with it wherever we go.

On the other hand, there are many other art forms that lots of people don't really care so much for e.g. painting, sculpture, installation, theatre etc. so I can't see why music should be different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowpatrolchlo)
    Off topic-omgiloveyouresignaturepic. *drools
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RIISE)
    I hate all forms of music from 2000 onwards. All the classic unforgettable songs songs seem to be from before that time. Maybe you just don't like modern music like me?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYbo3s2AB48&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqM11bt9QvI

rest my case.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robofish999)
    Is anyone else the same regarding music as me?
    Asking that question in a music forum will bring about a lot "no" answers haha . But I can understand why some people don't like listening to music. When you think about it, it can be quite a selfish activity. If you're listening to it on an iPod only really you (sometimes two on the odd occasion if you're sharing headphones) can listen to it so you're excluding others. If you're listening to music from speakers, then how can you be sure everyone will enjoy that particular track or playlist. I see music as a very personal thing. Something which you interpret in your own individual way, be it through imagination, memories or whatever.

DeanK22, good call.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.