Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hello TSR

    I am applying for a PGCE this year and am having trouble picking my primary reference

    I graduated from Oxbridge in 2006 with a 2:1, however, whilst at University I suffered from severe depression, which meant I ran into a lot of difficulties with my studies, and with my tutors (I wouldn't show up for classes, work would be sub-par / late) etc.etc. Despite this, I got a good 2:1, and a top mark in the year in one paper (much to my tutor's admitted shock!). I've not had any real contact with my tutor since graduating, mostly out of embarrassment as to how unwell I was at university.

    I have conquered my health issues since graduating, and found very real joy in working with children in tutoring in my free time (both in English, and also the flute), which has prompted me to apply for primary teaching this year. However, I don't know who to use as a reference - I doubt I'd get a good one from my ex-tutors, and to be frank, I'm starting to worry myself sick as to whom I could ask, the only other person I can think of can't really comment on my teaching ability (I work in marketing, and it would be my line manager from the last 4 months). I'm starting a schools placement in November, however, that is probably too short an amount of time to be using somebody as a primary reference. I'm also considering maybe trying my tutor anyway with a heartfelt letter.

    Any ideas? :/

    I am pretty certain you have to put an academic referee as your first reference... Do correct me if I'm wrong, but that is what I remember. Your uni can't (supposedly) give a bad reference. So I would contact your tutor, peraps give them a ring?
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.