Turn on thread page Beta

can't afford to ring SF, can i contact online? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i don't have a contract for my phone and i tried to ring SF the other day but it swiftly drained my credit whilst i was on hold and i really can't afford to top up again.

is there any way to consult them online through e-mail or anything? i need to find out about the progress off my grant as i still haven't been means tested and only recieved 70-something-% which isn't even enough to cover my accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    there use to be an advisor you could speak to online... but from what I know there isnt away of contacting them online anymore... maybe asking your uni to borrow the phone to contact them they may let you.. or maybe a family member. sorry i cant be much help ringing sf has already costed me like £15 maybe more have to see my phone bill when i get it all i know is my mum wont be happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tranquilize)
    i don't have a contract for my phone and i tried to ring SF the other day but it swiftly drained my credit whilst i was on hold and i really can't afford to top up again.

is there any way to consult them online through e-mail or anything? i need to find out about the progress off my grant as i still haven't been means tested and only recieved 70-something-% which isn't even enough to cover my accommodation.
    Don't you have a landline telephone?

ReputationRep:
    you can use 0141 243 3600 instead of the 0845 number, it is sometimes cheaper from a mobile. Else just go to a phone box.

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain. When I was away at uni I had to phone them and spent literally £20 on phoning them, most of which was spent on hold. They told me they could phone me back, but it was being on hold that drained the credit in the first place. I think we all just have to accept that if you don't apply before August (which thankfully I did this year) and assume that they need every single tiny piece of information, they're going to **** it up. For example last year they chose to "disregard" the information in my application regarding means-tested loans/bursaries. After being on hold for 30mins I didn't feel even a tiny bit sorry for the backlash the operator received when I finally got through and got told this....

ReputationRep:
    google 'say no to 0870' and search for student finance, the site has a non-0800 number, it's a normal landline. it works for any other company that only provides an 0800 number. you can contact them through it normally, if anything i've found they answer it faster!

also, you can call 0800 numbers free off phone box phones from what i've heard.

ReputationRep:
    0141 243 3964 is the number I use! for people in northern ireland & wales, look it up individually as it differs for you.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.