Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Please keep anon or delete

I arrived at uni on sunday despite having flu because i really didnt want to miss the start of freshers, and since then things have spiralled down hill horribly. I've been forcing myself to go out most nights because i want to be social, and i really like my flatmates, but ive been getting less than 2 hours sleep every single night for five nights, and on top of the flu and my anxiety at being here, i feel like i'm falling apart. I've missed some important things for my subject like welcome day because i just havent felt well enough to go out, then when the evening comes i just binge drink because it makes me feel better and i feel like its the only way i'll be able to keep up with the social side in some shape or form. I know i'm probably also putting my health at risk by doing that along with taking sleeping pills and paracetamal etc. Its got to the point where i'm like jekyl and hyde, i'm sitting in my room on my own feeling physically and mentally awful, crying and having panic attacks, then going out to my flatmates and trying to act like nothings wrong... i dont know how long i can keep it up for. The worst thing is, i realise my mental health wasnt exactly the best before i came (i had some anxiety and depression issues) and my parents gave me the option of deferring a year, but i flat out refused. Now i have no idea how i'm going to make it to the end of the week, let alone the year. Somethings got to give... i'm soo behind on all the registration stuff too. The worst thing is, i know i'd be having the time of my life if i wasnt so ill and sleepless... the flu seems to be getting worse and i stay awake at night because i cant stop sweating but then feeling freezing cold etc. I feel trapped... ive been having awful thought of really extreme ways of getting out of this situation, because i see no escape. If i drop out, we'll lose a lot of money and this uni and course is what i've wanted for years. Please, i know this must sound very melodramtic, but i've never felt this bad in my life and i dont know what to do :'( does anyone have any advice???

ReputationRep:
    erm, this is not anon!

moving on to the advice, I would definitely just take a step back from going out at night and things and focus on getting better. You need to get better before lectures actually start and then you can go out as much as you want as there will be events and things going on for a while

ReputationRep:
    Wall.

ReputationRep:
    Relax and see a GP and rest.

Think about it...party hard for a week, followed by 3 weeks of illness, terrible start academically

or two day off and recover and actually enjoy your time. Do the maths and sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    Agree with anonymous21 it won't matter in the long term if you don't go out every night in freshers especially if you're ill. concentrate on getting better it will help for uni long term. As for depression/anxiety your uni should have a free counselling service available to you at your unis failing that get in touch with your gp

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do right now is get your health back - everything will seem better (and it will end up being) when you're well again. Let your tutors/lecturers know that due to the illness you're struggling to do all the regstritation stuff. Go and see a doctor, since sometimes it takes more than paracetamol to shift illness.

ReputationRep:
    Get a grip. Lock yourself away in your room, stay in bed, get plenty of rest and sleep. Sleep deprivation can cause your mind to go all over the place. There will be plenty more time to be sociable when you're feeling better.

ReputationRep:
    2 things . one go get see a doctor for that flu of yours! it`s vital ! just for one night /day stay in and take care of urself and teh registration thingies
    2nd... talk to some one ..a friend a room mate if u get along.or even a counselor ... stop tryin' to act bold because it will back fire ...

ReputationRep:
    Stop drinking?

I want to be so harsh on you for being so ******* stupid but it wont get you anyway so instead I suggest the following!

-Drink plenty of water
    -Get plenty of rest
    -Inform tutors/registrar office about your situation
    -MAKE SURE THEY UDNERSTAND THIS

-Ask one of your flatmates to maybe buy you a few things from the shops/chemist to lighten the flu a bit?

-Do not, DO NOT explode in a rage of anger at anyone. You will do huge damage to any potential social opportunities with that so keep it in your room, punch something soft. Just dont blow your top.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe stay in bed and stop trying to get everyone else ill?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaima_91)

I arrived at uni on sunday despite having flu because i really didnt want to miss the start of freshers, and since then things have spiralled down hill horribly. I've been forcing myself to go out most nights because i want to be social, and i really like my flatmates, but ive been getting less than 2 hours sleep every single night for five nights, and on top of the flu and my anxiety at being here, i feel like i'm falling apart. I've missed some important things for my subject like welcome day because i just havent felt well enough to go out, then when the evening comes i just binge drink because it makes me feel better and i feel like its the only way i'll be able to keep up with the social side in some shape or form. I know i'm probably also putting my health at risk by doing that along with taking sleeping pills and paracetamal etc. Its got to the point where i'm like jekyl and hyde, i'm sitting in my room on my own feeling physically and mentally awful, crying and having panic attacks, then going out to my flatmates and trying to act like nothings wrong... i dont know how long i can keep it up for. The worst thing is, i realise my mental health wasnt exactly the best before i came (i had some anxiety and depression issues) and my parents gave me the option of deferring a year, but i flat out refused. Now i have no idea how i'm going to make it to the end of the week, let alone the year. Somethings got to give... i'm soo behind on all the registration stuff too. The worst thing is, i know i'd be having the time of my life if i wasnt so ill and sleepless... the flu seems to be getting worse and i stay awake at night because i cant stop sweating but then feeling freezing cold etc. I feel trapped... ive been having awful thought of really extreme ways of getting out of this situation, because i see no escape. If i drop out, we'll lose a lot of money and this uni and course is what i've wanted for years. Please, i know this must sound very melodramtic, but i've never felt this bad in my life and i dont know what to do :'( does anyone have any advice???
    its normal for people to try and catch up with flat-mates, but its also normal to take a day off from drinking and clubbing, put on a dvd and curl up in bed. don't damage your health more, take a few days off and suggest to your flat-mates to join you watching a DVD (a comedy works like might boosh) if you like

ReputationRep:
    Take a week off from uni and go home and give yourself time to get better. Poor thing .. it's like you're a pigeon who's lost flight and you're getting flung around everywhere ... Can you not take it easy for abit on yourself at the expense of losing some social time?

I mean putting your life on the line just to make and keep friends is hardly logical ...

ReputationRep:
    OP, during Freshers week, I managed to get Swine Flu, laryngitis, and tonsilitus. I had to go home for three weeks to recover, I couldn't move from my bed I was so hurrendously bad. Worse things have happened. I am sure that your flatmates would not mind if you took yourself off to the GP and got bed rest or went home to sort yourself out. I similarly have bad anxiety issues, and I am currently at home until the foreseeable future and my Uni is letting me work from home.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Jaima_91)

It's simple. Alternate the days you go out getting pissed. On night stay in with peeps in your halls just chilling and get a early (ish) night. The next night go out and get pissed, and have a good time. That way you're still giving your body some time to recover, while still being seen and social on nights out.

Also, drink loads (i mean loads... like literally till you can't drink anymore) of water as soon as you get in drunk. You'll wake up with a bladder fit to burst, but you'll have a reduced hangover.

And also, eat well too. A lettuce and a multivitamin wouldn't go amiss.

Anyway this is what I did last week and it worked for me

ReputationRep:
    It'll all get better, just let yourself get better, take a rest. Your mates will understand. You don't need to drop out just because you're ill, you need to get better.

ReputationRep:
    Take some time out to rest, it's not like your flatmates are going to disown you because you aren't going out every single night.

Your health should be your #1 priority!

ReputationRep:
    Right- stop drinking, it won't solve anything, and will certainly not make your "flu" any better.
    I said "flu" like that because I'm pretty sure you just have a cold. If you had proper flu, there's no way you'd be physically able to go out. Flu is a highly debilitating condition for a week or so, and a cold makes you feel rubbish, but you can just about struggle out.

You should be missing out on the drinking and struggling into lectures, rather than the other way around.

Have a lemsip max every 4hrs, along with some ibuprofen (I think that's the one you can take alongside paracetamol; but do check before you take them both), and drink water all day long, as it flushes infection through your system quicker.

Drink 500ml of fresh orange juice every morning, as the vitamin C will boost your immune system, helping it to fight the illness.

If you have a temperature, make sure you keep your window open to cool yourself down- even if you feel cold you have to get the temperature down.

..As for your anxiety; there are a lot of coping strategies that you could use. Think about which situations make you anxious, then think about why, and then think about what you could do to make yourself feel better about it.

ReputationRep:
    Probably all seems a bit awful at the moment.
    But literally - if you get one good day of sleep - think about how much better you'll feel straight away...

ReputationRep:
    Go and see your GP ASAP and stop going out with flatmates ect until you are better. Next get some bloody sleep! You must have a personal tutor so go and see them about missing welcome days ect. Go to student support at your university as well and explain about your anxiety problems and they should be able to help you and put you in the right direction. To be honest the only thing you need to concentrate on is getting better. All the best and hope everything works out.

ReputationRep:
    see a counc.illor to sort out your anxiety - basically every university offers free counselling for at least 6 sessions.

focus on getting well - miss a night of drinking and rest

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.