University:who benefits from them?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
hi guys

This is my research topic. what do u guys think?
well, for me
I will say The government, the workforce, and ppl who attend the uni..
HelenBrownsell
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
Definately the people who graduate because it allows them to get decent jobs etc. Although, they do come out of uni with a rather large debt over their heads sometimes so a well paid job is definately needed. I can see that the workforce would benefit from qualified people but often graduates just have the knowledge and no actual practice at the job so they still need to be trained etc. Years in industry can help during uni for this. How do the government benefit? I suppose with more people getting qualifications and jobs, the unemployment rate goes down....maybe. I think that the universities also benefit from people going to uni. I know it sounds strange but the more people that go to a uni, the more money they receive and can spend on things like research. Does that make sense? Im sure you could develop the answer further. Do you have to discuss who doesnt benefit from uni? For example, other workers who dont have the qualifications but can do the job just as well maybe discriminated. I know thats not much and most of it is waffle but....Im having a bad day. Hope it helps a bit or at least gives you other ideas to build upon.

Helen Brownsell
christopher1441
Badges: 0
Report 17 years ago
I don't understand the question because everyone does, the student, professors, workers, the community, workforce, etc, etc, etc.....
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by christopher1441
I don't understand the question because everyone does, the student, professors, workers, the community, workforce, etc, etc, etc.....
Do you think that society benefits from somebody going to study "combined honours Media and Spice Girls Studies" at Bangor Polytechnic, only then to go on to work as a sanitary technician, a job that could have been done without spending 20,0000 on an education?

There a quite a few spurious and pointless degrees out there.
Unregistered
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Originally posted by Unregistered
Do you think that society benefits from somebody going to study "combined honours Media and Spice Girls Studies" at Bangor Polytechnic, only then to go on to work as a sanitary technician, a job that could have been done without spending 20,0000 on an education?

There a quite a few spurious and pointless degrees out there.
And if that comes at the taxpayer's expense, I think that's unfair.

We could be spending that money on useful things of real benefit to the fabric of society such as bombs and helicopters.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (209)
33.49%
No (415)
66.51%

Watched Threads