Turn on thread page Beta

Triple Award Science / Double Award Science watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Just wondering what the difference was between the two? At my school your not given a choice its triple award science, or no science. Providing i get decent results does this give me some kind of advantage over Double Award GCSE Science students? (Particularly if i'm taking this s**t to a-level?)

thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    If you want to take science to A-level yes, you would have a slight advantage over double award students.

You just cover a little more than double award would cover. Not necessarily more indepth than us, maybe just a few more topics ontop of what double award do.

ReputationRep:
    you touch on a-level work a little but its very brief compared to a-level. nothing harder than double award

ReputationRep:
    Triple Science, will make you a little more comfortable at the beginning of A-levels if you plan to take sciences for your A-levels. That's what I found out...:P Just started AS

ReputationRep:
    If I hadn't taken triple, I probably be struggling very badly in science at as right now.
    Take it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maryahs)
    Hi all,

Just wondering what the difference was between the two? At my school your not given a choice its triple award science, or no science. Providing i get decent results does this give me some kind of advantage over Double Award GCSE Science students? (Particularly if i'm taking this s**t to a-level?)

thanks in advance
    At my school, double award science would give you two plain science GCSEs, and triple award would give you GCSE Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

That was it essentially. So you do 50% more science and get another GCSE. Good for students wanting to do science at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by perrytheplatypus)
    Take it.
    This.
    Yes you would be at an advantage as you have 3 science GCSE's instead of 2.
    And you have covered a lot more and in more detail than in just double award.
    Each science subject is split into 3 modules and without triple award you dont cover the 3rd module.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing duel award science, put zero effort into year nine so was thrown out of the band of students destined to do triple science at GCSE. Left to do dual award.

Ofcourse, I discoevered I was the only person in my year to achieve A* overall in science during year 10, I beat all the triple science kids

But the school cried about how it was too late to make people get into triple science so now I will have to play catch up to spank those triple science kids at AS level

tldr; do triple science and save youself having to play catch up at AS

ReputationRep:
    At my school, top set science do Triple Award science and it is just a bit mre in depth and we do some other topics that doubl science doesn't cover. We do modules and module 7 (the one making it triple science) is equal to all other 6 modules!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by McNicholl)
    If you want to take science to A-level yes, you would have a slight advantage over double award students.

You just cover a little more than double award would cover. Not necessarily more indepth than us, maybe just a few more topics ontop of what double award do.
    Wahoooo, totally off subject but medical applicant '13! We should chat!
    Quote me for a reply please mate!

ReputationRep:
    So far, i haven't noticed a difference between them, and i do both triple and double science!

ReputationRep:
    Well I'd recommend taking it if your hoping to do sciences at A-level but even then it's hardly a strong requirement. I took double science and did just fine when doing A-level sciences and got all A's on AS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Satta101)
    So far, i haven't noticed a difference between them, and i do both triple and double science!
    Urm How/why?

Triple science does P/C/B7 which is like an intro to AS level - also you get 3 GCSEs.
    If you have the option thake it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by connie93)
    Urm How/why?

Triple science does P/C/B7 which is like an intro to AS level - also you get 3 GCSEs.
    If you have the option thake it
    Well, we're doing both because double science is like a backup in case we fail triple. So we could get 5 GCSEs, but they're still deciding whether they should go ahead with it. My science teacher said it was allowed. I don't really see the point though, but everyone else just wants to have more GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    In Double Award you get 2 GCSEs and in Triple Award you get 3. In Double Award you take 3 objective exams and 3 written exams and in Triple Award you take 9 exams - 3 objective and 6 written. In my opinion Double Award is better because it's less work and you only need 2 Science GCSEs to proceed on to A-level Science. It's much easier to get 2 A* at Double Award than 3 A* at Triple Award. You're better off using your GCSE option for something else such as a languages or humanities as it shows you're a more versatile student.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.