Turn on thread page Beta

S2 probability question (how do i do it?) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    4 (a) State clearly the conditions under which it is appropriate to assume that a random variable has a binomial distribution
    (1) fixed number of trials, (2) each trial is either a success or failure, (3) the probability of a success/failure is constant, (4) the events are independent

A door-to-door canvasser tries to persuade people to have a certain type of double glazing installed. The probability that his canvassing at a house is successful is 0.05

(b) Find the probability that he wll have at least 2 successes out of the first 10 houses he canvasses

P(X>=2) = 1 - P(X=<2), then work out from cumulative binomial table (is this right?)

(c) Find the number of houses he should canvass per day in order to average 3 successes per day.

how do i do this part? :O any help would be much appreciated, thanks
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    For (b) that's not right. Since you're using discrete data, you can use either \mathbb{P}(X \ge 2) = 1 - \mathbb{P}(X &lt; 2) or \mathbb{P}(X \ge 2) = 1 - \mathbb{P}(X \le 1).

For (c), you need to think about the expectation. That is, you need to find the number of houses for which \mathbb{E}(X) = 3.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    For (b) that's not right. Since you're using discrete data, you can use either \mathbb{P}(X \ge 2) = 1 - \mathbb{P}(X &lt; 2) or \mathbb{P}(X \ge 2) = 1 - \mathbb{P}(X \le 1).

For (c), you need to think about the expectation. That is, you need to find the number of houses for which \mathbb{E}(X) = 3.
    ah yeah i see what you mean about (b)

and for (c), expectation = np right? so 3 = 0.05n, n = 3/0.05. is this the correct answer then?

p.s. part (d) says: Calculte the least number of houses that he must canvass in order that the probability of him getting at least one success exceeds 0.99

i don't understand this at all, care to push me in the right direction? would be much appreciated
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by doin' your mum)
    ah yeah i see what you mean about (b)

and for (c), expectation = np right? so 3 = 0.05n, n = 3/0.05. is this the correct answer then?
    Yup.

(Original post by doin' your mum)
    p.s. part (d) says: Calculte the least number of houses that he must canvass in order that the probability of him getting at least one success exceeds 0.99

i don't understand this at all, care to push me in the right direction? would be much appreciated
    This is finding the range of values of n such that P(X \ge 1) &gt; 0.99, and then the answer is the smallest value of n in this range. Using the right formula in the inequality P(X \ge 1) &gt; 0.99 and rearranging will give you an answer in the form n &gt; \text{something} -- bear in mind that if you have say n &gt; 32.61 (picked at random, not actually the answer) then the answer would be 33.

The hardest part in most S2 problems is converting the word problem into a mathematical formula for you to solve... once you've got that down you'll be able to do these without any problems. Can you see where I got P(X \ge 1) &gt; 0.99 from?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 30, 2010

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.