Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right I'll be doing my UCAS application next month, we're doing our personal statements in 2 weeks too.

My question is, is it common or advisable to apply to the same uni for multiple courses?

Reason I ask is, I'm doing an Access to Engineering course and I'm not completely sure what area of engineering I want to study at uni yet. I am however more sure of which uni I want to go to.

So would it be worth me applying to 2 or even 3 different courses at that same uni, maybe courses with varying entry requirements just to safe-guard myself a bit, then using the 2 or 3 remaining applications for other unis?

ReputationRep:
    It's possible. There's no rule against applying for one or all five courses at the same university. Personally, I steered away from it because I was more course-oriented, and really didn't much care if I ended up in Edinburgh or Cardiff.

If you do choose to do it, make sure there is a variation in the course offer, because you don't want to apply for three AAA courses at your preferred Uni, only to come out with ABB (or the UCAS Points equivalent) and end up going somewhere you weren't all that keen on. You really have to be 110% sure you want to do the next three/four years at that one Uni...

ReputationRep:
    Take into consideration the fact that transferring between different Engineering disciplines during the first year is quite easy. You would probably be better off applying for just one course, the one that interests you most now, at each university - and then if you change your mind you can change to a different discipline. It's probably best to email the universities and ask their policies on this first though.

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend who did this, and it worked out fine for him.

He only did it for 2 courses though. I think if you applied to 3 courses at the same uni things would start to get a bit iffy.

I don't think you can do this for Oxbridge by the way. I don't know for sure, but it's an educated guess.

ReputationRep:
    If I was you i'd apply for a general engineering course and choose to specify in the third/forth year.

ReputationRep:
    This is gonna be so tough with just 5 choices...

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.