Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Doctor's Salary vs Other Science Professions watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    First of all I do think that Doctor's should be paid well but an average salary of over 100K is a bit excessive.

Most often the reason provided is Stress , Life and Death Decisions, Length of Training, Difficulty of getting into Medical Schools.

Every job has stress involved granted Life and Death situations are different but how often do you have to deal with life and death decisions as a Doctor and if your a civil engineer in the long term you are responsible for more lives.

If you do a Bachelors, Masters, Phd, Post doc you have same length of training in other subjects but don't get paid nearly enough.

Not every bright student becomes a Doctor even if he can get into a medical school, many choose other professions but are not rewarded as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darksolidus.snake)
    If you do a Bachelors, Masters, Phd, Post doc you have same length of training in other subjects but don't get paid nearly enough.
    Doctors won't be earning anywhere near £100k until they reach consultancy. E.g. 5 years undergraduate and, in theory, an additional 10 years working. There are many other careers where this salary can be obtained much faster and without accruing a huge amount of debt in the process.

When they DO reach consultancy, the average salary from the NHS is around £90k. Any other income is from additional private work.

There are many more factors to consider in determining 'fair' pay for a position that are far beyond the few you have touched upon here.

ReputationRep:
    First of all I do think that Doctor's should be paid well but an average salary of over 100K is a bit excessive.

Most often the reason provided is Stress , Life and Death Decisions, Length of Training, Difficulty of getting into Medical Schools.

Every job has stress involved granted Life and Death situations are different but how often do you have to deal with life and death decisions as a Doctor and if your a civil engineer in the long term you are responsible for more lives.

Not every bright student becomes a Doctor even if he can get into a medical school, many choose other professions but are not rewarded as well.

I agree. Doctors are like footballers; they shouldnt get as much as they do.

Officers in the military make life and death deicisions of at least 20 men per decision every day, but get a quarter of what most doctors get; plus im sure its harder to be an officer in the military than it is to be a doctor (you have to be smart AND fit AND alot more).

Biomedical scientists and Chemists are the ones who discover and produce the medicines that Doctors ride the white horse on, so they effectively save alot more people than a doctor does in his lifetime.

Firemen risk their lives to save peoples lives, AND have to make life or death decisions; and their life is far more stressful.

As for scientists in further training, yes, I agree.. they also typically, all be it, indirectly, save more people than a doctor does.
    So yes, Doctors shouldnt get paid as much as they should... Hell the high pay is the reason 99% of doctors are doing what they are doing; few do it because they like the subject/apparent challenge/want to care for others.

ReputationRep:
    how often do you have to deal with life and death decisions as a Doctor
    I'm not sure you would recognise a 'life or death decision' if it smacked you in the chops.

ReputationRep:
    We should pay teachers more. Without them, there wouldn't be any doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the666thmessiah)
    Footballer salary is driven by market demand. If the industry is capable of earning that much money to support their salaries, then good for them.

Biomedical scientists and Chemists are the ones who discover and produce the medicines that Doctors ride the white horse on, so they effectively save alot more people than a doctor does in his lifetime.
    How many scientists do you think actually go on to make such a discovery? Very few.

Firemen risk their lives to save peoples lives, AND have to make life or death decisions; and their life is far more stressful.
    Firemen don't have the same level of training, education and liability that doctors have. As I know nothing of the working life of a fireman, I am not in the position to compare the stress levels of them. I doubt you are in the position to, either. What I do know, however, is that junior doctors, for example, typically work well beyond 45hrs a week, of which is subsequently unpaid due to unrealistic working directives. However, this working pattern beyond the legal limits is neccesary to accumulate enough training to progress without sacrificing patient care. On top of this, the salary that they are paid is chipped away by insurance, postgraduate exams, GMC fees etc etc. In addition, the career often requires junior doctors in particular to move halfway across the country for rotations forcing them to either live alone in naff hospital accommodation or to ask their families to uproot for them. They are also at constant odds with media scapegoating and villification, being the pawn in political games and patient disadherence. AFAIK, firemen do not have these issues to put up with just to progress through their career.

As for scientists in further training, yes, I agree.. they also typically, all be it, indirectly, save more people than a doctor does.
    See my previous point. You seem to have a very naive view of the work of a pharma scientist. With significant drug breakthroughs being sparse anyway, the majority of the initial work is done through automation and selection of random compounds from a library of untested materials. The rest is just marketing and statistics. There are very few genuine breakthroughs comparable to that of say, the discovery of penicillin.

ReputationRep:
    I know a doctor, who after six years of medical school and two years of foundation training, and has taken numerous post-graduate exams - he is now aged 30 and is on around £32,000 ~ do you know the wages of doctors, or are you just going off Holby City?

Officers in the military make life and death deicisions of at least 20 men per decision every day, but get a quarter of what most doctors get; plus im sure its harder to be an officer in the military than it is to be a doctor (you have to be smart AND fit AND alot more).
    You don't have to be that smart, my mate is going in with AS levels. The number of people in the country who can complete officer training is much higher than those who can complete medical training. Your post doesn't even make sense 'least 20 men per decision every day' :wtf: If your going to make some **** argument, at least chink together the braincells to form coherent sentences. Although with your levels of critical thinking, I can understand that being a challenge.

Most doctors could be firemen, most firemen couldn't be doctors.

Hell the high pay is the reason 99% of doctors are doing what they are doing; few do it because they like the subject/apparent challenge/want to care for others.
    You know that do you?

ReputationRep:
    We should pay politicians more, they're the ones giving the teachers the pay rise.

ReputationRep:

What about a medical officer, are they like gods to you or something.

Doctors don't get paid millions guys, they get a pretty solid salary for what is a pretty solid job (I would argue that my GP doesn't deserve anything, but then that is just one case).

ReputationRep:

So yes, Doctors shouldnt get paid as much as they should... Hell the high pay is the reason 99% of doctors are doing what they are doing; few do it because they like the subject/apparent challenge/want to care for others.
    Is that why army officer requirements state that the equivilent of 3 Cs is neccesary to gain access to the single year of training?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I would get too bored being a cabbie, wouldn't be a window cleaner and probably wouldn't be much an odd-job man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    What about a medical officer, are they like gods to you or something.

Doctors don't get paid millions guys, they get a pretty solid salary for what is a pretty solid job (I would argue that my GP doesn't deserve anything, but then that is just one case).

Yes, they are like Gods to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I would get too bored being a cabbie, wouldn't be a window cleaner and probably wouldn't be much an odd-job man.
    You would make a great cabbie Think of all those punters you could vent at.

ReputationRep:
    ?? Have you actually talked to any doctors, or medical students, or anyone interested in a career in medicine? :facepalm2:

If they really wanted the money, they would go into banking. More money, more quickly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are like Gods to me.
    Well stop saying retarded things then, being a regular officer is an alright job, but it is hardly difficult to become one.They do get paid quite well in the higher ranks, but a 2nd lieutenant is not going to be commanding a 60-70 grand wage, and why should they.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I know a doctor, who after six years of medical school and two years of foundation training, and has taken numerous post-graduate exams - he is now aged 30 and is on around £32,000 ~ do you know the wages of doctors, or are you just going off Holby City?

You don't have to be that smart, my mate is going in with AS levels. The number of people in the country who can complete officer training is much higher than those who can complete medical training. Your post doesn't even make sense 'least 20 men per decision every day' :wtf: If your going to make some **** argument, at least chink together the braincells to form coherent sentences. Although with your levels of critical thinking, I can understand that being a challenge.

You know that do you?

Could be and couldnt be arent part of it. Its about actually doing the job at hand.

As for my 20 men arguement, you obviously cannot read, so I am actually surprised why you arent that open minded; you obviously have the space in that head of yours to be so, or its so full of thoughts of flame that you cannot address someones arguement efficiently enough that you have to resort to failing in insulting them.

And yes, I do know that, because when I was considering it, I was considering it for the money, as were/are my friends who are doing it or applying for it now.

ReputationRep:
    Doctors get paid 100k after doing 15 years of training.

Do you guys want to do 15 years before you can settle down with a house, a family?

Working hours and being on call ruin lots of family life. A civil engineer can enjoy overseeing a project in the city and go home to his wife at 5pm. Often doctors dont.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WrigglyMammoth)
    Is that why army officer requirements state that the equivilent of 3 Cs is neccesary to gain access to the single year of training?
    I think you'll find it's actually only two "A Levels", but I digress..

It's not about academic intelligence. Being an officer is about thinking on your feet, and leading under severe stress. Very few people are capable of leading to the standards expected by Sandhurst. It just shows your ignorance on the subject of military training.

A lot of the people who I went to school with who went on to do medicine wouldn't be able to organise a piss up in a brewery.

ReputationRep:
    Nurses should get paid more!:yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    I think you'll find it's actually only two "A Levels", but I digress..

It's not about academic intelligence. Being an officer is about thinking on your feet, and leading under severe stress. Very few people are capable of leading to the standards expected by Sandhurst. It just shows your ignorance on the subject of military training.

A lot of the people who I went to school with who went on to do medicine wouldn't be able to organise a piss up in a brewery.
    Thats what I meant about intelligence. Alot of Doctors have the oppurtunity/time to step back from a situation, consult, do some research, and then make their deicisions.

Yeah it is 2 A levels and 280 points, so if you only do 2 A levels and still get 2 A's you wont get in.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.