Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Doctors won't be earning anywhere near £100k until they reach consultancy. E.g. 5 years undergraduate and, in theory, an additional 10 years working. There are many other careers where this salary can be obtained much faster and without accruing a huge amount of debt in the process.

When they DO reach consultancy, the average salary from the NHS is around £90k. Any other income is from additional private work.

There are many more factors to consider in determining 'fair' pay for a position that are far beyond the few you have touched upon here.
    Unless I'm very mistaken, GP's earn £106,000 pre-tax, and consultants more in the region of £150,000 and above, depending on experience, demand and area of expertise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dnator)
    Well stop saying retarded things then, being a regular officer is an alright job, but it is hardly difficult to become one.They do get paid quite well in the higher ranks, but a 2nd lieutenant is not going to be commanding a 60-70 grand wage, and why should they.
    You have completely misunderstand any of the points I have made in this arguement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    Unless I'm very mistaken, GP's earn £106,000 pre-tax, and consultants more in the region of £150,000 and above, depending on experience, demand and area of expertise.
    Non-salaried GPs are slightly different in that they have the opportunity to run their practice like a business (whereas salaried GPs employed directly by PCTs earn £50k to £80k). However, media reports of GP income typically cite the practice income before costs of staff salaries, equipment etc etc are taken out. This is going to be nowhere near the take-home amount that the GP has. That said, however, GPs have managed to wing good pay deals with the previous government.

I very much doubt that the NHS (e.g. not counting additional private work) pays a significant number of consultants, let alone the majority, over £150k. The average is in the mid £90's as far as I'm aware. I would be keen to see a source that says otherwise; I am not aware of any.

ReputationRep:
    No one doubts doctors are intelligent hard working people but enigneers , scientist are valuable as well.

The least talented doctor will still make more money than most very talented engineers or scientists.

Even during training doctors earn more than most engineers, scientists.

Very few scientists make discoveries but those who dont figure out ways of how not to solve a problem, still valuable.

Is anyone actually a doctor that can tell me what doctor's earn because all my knowledge is form
    http://www.nhsemployers.org/SiteColl...ALbc080610.pdf

And in 2003/2004 the average salary for a GP was 67K now its above 100K( http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advic...ml?id=20001443 ), is the quality of care that much better or is it the BMA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the666thmessiah)
    Hell the high pay is the reason 99% of doctors are doing what they are doing; few do it because they like the subject/apparent challenge/want to care for others.
    76% of statistics are made up on the spot, you know.

ReputationRep:
    You have completely misunderstand any of the points I have made in this arguement.
    Oh, please explain what this means then :

Officers in the military make life and death deicisions of at least 20 men per decision every day, but get a quarter of what most doctors get; plus im sure its harder to be an officer in the military than it is to be a doctor (you have to be smart AND fit AND alot more).

Do you want officers to be paid more, or doctors to be paid less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bunkd)
    Even if this were true, the average house officer earns around £7 per hour.

ReputationRep:
    I agree. Doctors are like footballers; they shouldnt get as much as they do.

Officers in the military make life and death deicisions of at least 20 men per decision every day, but get a quarter of what most doctors get; plus im sure its harder to be an officer in the military than it is to be a doctor (you have to be smart AND fit AND alot more).

Biomedical scientists and Chemists are the ones who discover and produce the medicines that Doctors ride the white horse on, so they effectively save alot more people than a doctor does in his lifetime.

Firemen risk their lives to save peoples lives, AND have to make life or death decisions; and their life is far more stressful.

As for scientists in further training, yes, I agree.. they also typically, all be it, indirectly, save more people than a doctor does.
    So yes, Doctors shouldnt get paid as much as they should... Hell the high pay is the reason 99% of doctors are doing what they are doing; few do it because they like the subject/apparent challenge/want to care for others.
    Well that's complete bs. Firstly, doctor pay is not as high as some of the quoted figures here - check out the 2009 employment census. Secondly, i can guarantee you there are more than 'few doctors' who do it because they care about people... why do you think so many doctors work up to 55 hours overtime every week.... well lets have a think... because there are so many people who need their attention so instead of buggering off and having a lunch break they continue to treat these people.

ReputationRep:

Biomedical scientists and Chemists are the ones who discover and produce the medicines that Doctors ride the white horse on, so they effectively save alot more people than a doctor does in his lifetime.

Firemen risk their lives to save peoples lives, AND have to make life or death decisions; and their life is far more stressful.

As for scientists in further training, yes, I agree.. they also typically, all be it, indirectly, save more people than a doctor does.
    So yes, Doctors shouldnt get paid as much as they should... Hell the high pay is the reason 99% of doctors are doing what they are doing; few do it because they like the subject/apparent challenge/want to care for others.
    Spoken with true ignorance, an attribute which hardly any doctors possess

ReputationRep:
    Many people on this thread seem to be a bit disallusioned aobut how muvh doctors actually earn. Very few hospital doctors earn anywhere near £100k, only really consultants have much hope of that . And if you are a salaried GP you would probably earn only about half of that. Partnered GPs earn an average of over 100k per year, however that is not only for their work as a doctor, but also for their work in running a business. Doctors do have decent wages, but it is most certainly not easy money. If that's what you're looking for then you should go into business or banking.

ReputationRep:

I'm sorry (wel not really), but i read this and could not help but smile, people have already replied why you're so wrong, so i'll leave it at that, but i will request a link of source to your `99% of doctors are there for the cash` as that is truly the cherry on the top!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    76% of statistics are made up on the spot, you know.
    Actually its 82.7% made up on the spot, if you're quoting Steven Wright that is

ReputationRep:

Look at the hourly pay of an average doctor and you will find it is actually very low. As someone said above, some are about £7 an hour. It may total up to make a decent salary but really - ask most people why they wouldnt want to be a doctor and its because of all the sacrifices you have to make - and arguably thats worth more than compensation in money.

I want to be a doctor, my parents aren't doctors - my brother is going into computer programming and will probably earn more during my medical training than I will in the first 15 years of my career. My parents are engineers and begged me not to choose medicine.
    Most medical applicants are probably aware of the fact that they have the grades and skills to take up almost any other science degree, but they dont... Because they want to use their intellect and their ability to make rational and educated decisions trying to save your precious officers life as they are bleeding on the floor from 26 gunshot wounds and poisoning. OK yes, you say you bow down to medical officers, but someone has to treat the other 99% of the British population. Or should we just let them die because they arent in the regular army.

:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    We should pay teachers more. Without them, there wouldn't be any doctors.
    lol'd

ReputationRep:
    Could be and couldnt be arent part of it. Its about actually doing the job at hand.
    ?????

As for my 20 men arguement, you obviously cannot read, so I am actually surprised why you arent that open minded; you obviously have the space in that head of yours to be so, or its so full of thoughts of flame that you cannot address someones arguement efficiently enough that you have to resort to failing in insulting them.
    ???????

And yes, I do know that, because when I was considering it, I was considering it for the money, as were/are my friends who are doing it or applying for it now.
    You know, just because you and your mates are a bunch of misinformed scumbags it doesn't mean that everybody is.

ReputationRep:
    Supply and Demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darksolidus.snake)
    No one doubts doctors are intelligent hard working people but enigneers , scientist are valuable as well.
    Well done.

The least talented doctor will still make more money than most very talented engineers or scientists.
    That isn't true, although truly untalented doctors won't even have a job.

Even during training doctors earn more than most engineers, scientists.
    What part of training?

Very few scientists make discoveries but those who dont figure out ways of how not to solve a problem, still valuable.
    Redraft that so it actually makes some sense.

Is anyone actually a doctor that can tell me what doctor's earn because all my knowledge is form :poo:

ReputationRep:
    I think actuaries make more monies quicker than Gp , training or starting salary of actuary is around 35k and goes up as you do more exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fireph)
    Supply and Demand.
    Sort of don't work, because entry into supply side is very regulated. Both medical training and certification heavily restrict supply.

Also other benefits that doctors have that many "engineers" do not have:

1. Job Security.
    2. Far less likely to be outsourced.
    3. Better understanding by the general public, better job prestige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    I know a doctor, who after six years of medical school and two years of foundation training, and has taken numerous post-graduate exams - he is now aged 30 and is on around £32,000 ~ do you know the wages of doctors, or are you just going off Holby City?

You don't have to be that smart, my mate is going in with AS levels. The number of people in the country who can complete officer training is much higher than those who can complete medical training. Your post doesn't even make sense 'least 20 men per decision every day' :wtf: If your going to make some **** argument, at least chink together the braincells to form coherent sentences. Although with your levels of critical thinking, I can understand that being a challenge.

Most doctors could be firemen, most firemen couldn't be doctors.

You know that do you?
    wannabe doctor is pissed

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.