Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Well my post was orginally intended to 'renal' who only suggested house prices as the problem for doctors 'settling down' with a home.

I admit that I didn't know that doctors would be moved around the country, mainly because I have never heard of this in my experiences with the NHS and from talking to medicine applicants. Frankly, I find this a bit strange because surely the aim of this 'training' period is to get doctors upto the required standard, so isn't it disruptive to the learning process?

So how long would each 'job' last ?
    undergraduates 5 years based at one university but with placements in a 50 -100 mile radius of that base

foundation doctors 2 years based in one deanery but potentially 6 different jobs in six different locations within the 'foundation school' ( given how many trusts have different sites - even if you were only with one or two trusts)

core training another 2 years another 4 or 6 jobs again potentially in 4 or 6 different locations within the deanery

Speciality training 4 -6 years (plus any out of the rotation placements ) potentially a different trust every 6 months across a region ....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimbo139)
    You sure it was the consultant doing the pre-ops? That's crazy! They usually use a foundation doctor for pre-op assessments- paid around £22K.
    Absolutely! She *****es about it every day to why she's not getting paid the same :yep:

However, I think she may be like 'head' person doing it? That may be why a consultant was doing it instead of a foundation doctor...? Sorry if I sound ignorant but it was definitely a consultant!

ReputationRep:
    Salaries are not determined by what is 'fair', or there would be a few billion kids working their assess off in Africa and Asia earning hundreds of thousands whilst some highly-paid "professionals" in the West would receive peanuts.

As doctors work in the public sector in this country (those who work in the NHS) I do think their salaries should be restricted, in line with the broader cuts, and some funding possibly rerouted to State pharmacological research and tax-breaks for profit-making pharmaceutical companies.

ReputationRep:
    Oh some more GP bashing. Lovely.

Well they do only hand out Aspirin and let people moan about their dodgy hip before refering them to the real doctors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Salaries are not determined by what is 'fair', or there would be a few billion kids working their assess off in Africa and Asia earning hundreds of thousands whilst some highly-paid "professionals" in the West would receive peanuts.

As doctors work in the public sector in this country (those who work in the NHS) I do think their salaries should be restricted, in line with the broader cuts, and some funding possibly rerouted to State pharmacological research and tax-breaks for profit-making pharmaceutical companies.
    I agree that there should be greater state funding of science research - but it's the university scientists who make the real breakthroughs in basic science, and who deserve public funding, not the shareholders of profitable drugs companies.

The development of drugs is grossly distorted by the drive for profits - hence the enormous effort expended on making miniscule changes to profitable drugs to get round patent laws. Meanwhile serious but rare conditions, or those which are common in the developing world but not in europe/USA, get almost totally ignored by drug companies - a clear example of human need coming second to commercial interests.

A huge proportion of drug company funds is spent effectively trying to bribe doctors to use their products over those of their rivals. This should be banned.

ReputationRep:
    I agree that there should be greater state funding of science research - but not that the shareholders of pharma companies are more deserving of public money than the university scientists who make the real breakthroughs in basic science.

The development of drugs is grossly distorted by the drive for profits - hence the enormous effort expended on making miniscule changes to profitable drugs to get round patent laws. Meanwhile serious but rare conditions, or those which are common in the developing world but not in europe/USA, get almost totally ignored by drug companies - a clear example of human need coming second to commercial interests.
    That is why drug companies give away drugs from treating NTDs to charities in africa and south america proved those charities can work out how to get them where needed?
    Name a disease that is not having research done on drugs for it and I can name you plenty that I pretty much given away to help treat helminth infections that are onyl seen in this country when people come back from obscure african countries.

Big pharma are not always evil.

Do you know how expensive drugs are to bring to market? Massively. It is hugely expensive if you end up making what turns out to be a dud.

Drug companies bribing doctors to use their drugs :rofl: you are insane the largest gift they can give I believe is about ~£5. Really going to sell it eh? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazylemon)
    Do you know how expensive drugs are to bring to market? Massively. It is hugely expensive if you end up making what turns out to be a dud.

Drug companies bribing doctors to use their drugs :rofl: you are insane the largest gift they can give I believe is about ~£5. Really going to sell it eh? :rofl:
    Mate, Smaxo, Merck and Pfizer all have marketing budgets greater than their R&D spend.

ReputationRep:
    You sure it was the consultant doing the pre-ops? That's crazy! They usually use a foundation doctor for pre-op assessments- paid around £22K.
    Indeed, and a housey is cheaper because they're not employed to do pre-assessment, it's tacked onto their day job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Mate, Smaxo, Merck and Pfizer all have marketing budgets greater than their R&D spend.
    In the form of direct gifts to doctors?

That was what I meant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    So how comes you only mentioned house prices as the problem to doctors buying a house, when in reality, this isn't an issue to them.

perhaps you too didn't realise or forgot that doctors would be 'moved around the country' during their training :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Renal)
    How would they be paying off their mortgage, have you not seen how expensive it is to move house every year or two?
    http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs43/f/20..._by_ixulai.jpg

ReputationRep:
    Of course doctors are well paid, but if they make a single mistake then their career is over, and they get a lot of hassle from some patients.

Do they deserve 100k ? I think they could survive perfectly well on half of that.

ReputationRep:
    Investment bankers earn too much. Period.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TwilightKnight)
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    true but only if you manage to fight off at least 10 other people for a place at a top uni, get a 2.1 or a 1st class degree and then somehow convince the employer that they should give you the job over hundreds of other applicants. :rolleyes:
    You're right, that's nothing like Medicine. At all.
    This. Top uni might not be so much of a worry for medics, but there were still 18 applicants per place on my course.

ReputationRep:
    Paying for slap-up meals etc. still would count as bribing, and still goes on I believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Paying for slap-up meals etc. still would count as bribing, and still goes on I believe.
    I wouldn't call that a bribe. Not a physical gift and is paired with education of some sort. They can be rather pleasant evenings though.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't call that a bribe. Not a physical gift and is paired with education of some sort. They can be rather pleasant evenings though.
    Food?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    Food?
    Not a durable is it?

I find it hard to believe that in exchange for a few meals a doctor is going to prescribe certain drugs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persephone9)
    You obviously aren't aware that this guy and his mates make up 99% of doctors, med students and applicants.
    In what percentile do you place yourself then?

ReputationRep:
    Not a durable is it?

I find it hard to believe that in exchange for a few meals a doctor is going to prescribe certain drugs
    What if they throw in a parker pen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Organ)
    What if they throw in a parker pen?
    Well that's not going to be more than a fiver is it? plus normally thus just have the cheap crappy pens.

The point is the sums are so low what doctor is going to sell his integrity for that.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.