Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How many grams of protein are required after the gym for muscle repair? Would a 15 gram meal be enough?

I consume 45 - 55g of protein through a vegetarian diet. The recommended amount for me is 60 g. Would a 15 g protein shake aid this deficiency without doing any damage to the liver?

ReputationRep:
    Erm what? You won't damage your muscles by going into the gym early in the morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evopolar)
    You must NEVER exceed the recommended protein intake. If you do you become at risk of brain hemorrhage, liver cirrhosis and necrophelia.
    Don't listen to this guy, he clearly doesn't know what he's on about. Protein repairs and build muscle after a good muscle workout. You can never have too much, unless you're looking at eating over 15 eggs a day with protein shakes and meat.

ReputationRep:
    Question suitably edited. There were a few silly questions in there. I have been paranoid since I joined the gym at university and was told that without proper nutrition and rest your muscles can be damaged and shrink. Which defeats the purpose for a person like myself trying to put on muscle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiefa_Howie)
    Question suitably edited. There were a few silly questions in there. I have been paranoid since I joined the gym at university and was told that without proper nutrition and rest your muscles can be damaged and shrink. Which defeats the purpose for a person like myself trying to put on muscle.
    Bro.

You're not arguably not getting enough protein. It's not going to hurt you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Don't listen to this guy, he clearly doesn't know what he's on about. Protein repairs and build muscle after a good muscle workout. You can never have too much, unless you're looking at eating over 15 eggs a day with protein shakes and meat.

I remember reading Mens Health the other month and it said to consume 30 grams of protein within 30 mins of your workout. Anymore and it narrowed your blood vessels or something and delayed protein going to your muscles to repair them.

ReputationRep:
    Reasons for being vegetarian?

It seems like you're getting quite a lot of protein already, I don't know what imbecile recommended 60g per day. A good rule is one gram of protein per two kilograms body weight.

ReputationRep:
    WTF are you all going on about! If you want to increase muscle mass you NEED protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shawshank)
    Reasons for being vegetarian?

It seems like you're getting quite a lot of protein already, I don't know what imbecile recommended 60g per day. A good rule is one gram of protein per two kilograms body weight.
    No for muscle growth it is 1-1.5g per POUND, this can be increased to 2g per lb if an anabolic enough environment is created.

ReputationRep:
    This thread is hilare.

On another note, this "how much protein" malarkey gives me a headache. On TSR I've read a few times 1g per 1lb of bodyweight, but this is loads! I don't even know how I could get that much whilst maintaining a healthy balanced diet without exceeding maintenance calories. And elsewhere I've read 0.8g per kilo bodyweight, or 1g per 1lb of lean bodyweight.

Please help, I don't want to waste away but I also don't like corpses :emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BR1)
    No for muscle growth it is 1-1.5g per POUND, this can be increased to 2g per lb if an anabolic enough environment is created.
    Wake up and smell the sarcasm :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    This thread is hilare.

On another note, this "how much protein" malarkey gives me a headache. On TSR I've read a few times 1g per 1lb of bodyweight, but this is loads! I don't even know how I could get that much whilst maintaining a healthy balanced diet without exceeding maintenance calories. And elsewhere I've read 0.8g per kilo bodyweight, or 1g per 1lb of lean bodyweight.

Please help, I don't want to waste away but I also don't like corpses :emo:
    1g per lb of bodyweight is for those looking to increase muscle mass. People wanting to increase muscle mass need to consume more than maintenance calories anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Frustratingly the guidelines differ in different countries, so it is hard to tell how much is too much or too little. The world health organisation recommends 0.5 grams per kilo, the US RDA is 0.8 grams per kilo and the UK department of health is apparently similar to the US.

How much protein is too much and could damage my health? There have been days in the past when, thanks to 25 grams protein shakes, I have consumed 90 grams of protein.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    1g per lb of bodyweight is for those looking to increase muscle mass. People wanting to increase muscle mass need to consume more than maintenance calories anyway.
    Okay, so what if you want to lose weight (fat) and you've started doing some resistance training as part of that? Bear in mind that I'm female so I'm not looking to "bulk up" visually as such. However, I guess I do want to increase muscle mass as it will up my metabolism.

Man, I am so confused.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Okay, so what if you want to lose weight (fat) and you've started doing some resistance training as part of that? Bear in mind that I'm female so I'm not looking to "bulk up" visually as such. However, I guess I do want to increase muscle mass as it will up my metabolism.

Man, I am so confused.
    If you're trying to lose fat, you need to be in a calorie defecit, as you know. It's difficult to build muscle and lose fat at the same time, but it is possible to do for people who haven't done proper resistance training before (noob gains). So you'll be trying to do that, and as time goes on, to minimise muscle-loss as you lose weight.

So assuming you know how many calories you are wanting to consume daily, it's more about how many of those come from protein than an exact number of grams for you. The amount you should have is widely debated, and that's why you've come across so many different opinions on it. But basically, a high protein diet is pretty healthy and beneficial for both your goals. So somewhere around 40-40-20 (protein, carbs, fats) is probably about right. But I don't think you need to worry about it too much, just make sure you're getting a fair amount of it in you each day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arturo Bandini)
    At last someone who talks sense!!!

ReputationRep:
    What is the need for a protein shake before going to the gym?

ReputationRep:
    Well, it all depends on the exercise you do but I don't think that it will damage. Go on.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered nutrition and supplements threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.