Turn on thread page Beta

My second ever attempt at cooking! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So a few days ago I posted a thread with photos of my first ever attempt at cooking a meal, which consisted of a sandwich crammed full of various meats. I got a lot of feedback (most of which was sarcastic and likened my sandwich’s appearance to the innards of a vagina ), and I was told that for my next attempt I should try and do something a bit more simple, which is exactly what I’ve done here. This is a meal which I sort of invented on the spot, based on the ingredients which were available, which consist of some pork, microwave rice, canned beans and some other stuff which was lying around the kitchen.

I’m not going to lie to you; it wasn’t very nice at all. It was horribly dry, the pork (which I ended up doing in the microwave) was chewy like an old leather bag, and the rice and beans had about as much flavour as the plate on which they sat. My mum ate all of hers, but I ended up binning most of my portion again, as I wasn’t really very hungry. Any suggestions on how I could improve it? I feel I’m ready for a somewhat more complex dish, so what should I try and cook next?

Pan-fry the pork and don't microwave meat ever again. Ever.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like something I'd feed my dog to be honest, you got some weak cooking ideas that's for sure

ReputationRep:
    Microwaving meat?
    I'm a terrible.. terrible.. cook and even I wouldn't do that lol

ReputationRep:
    Try adding herbs/spices/sauces next time.

This website is really good - http://allrecipes.co.uk/ You can type in whatever ingredients you have or want to use and which you don't have/want and it'll tell you which recipes fit your criteria. You can also search by cooking method, cooking time, difficulty, dietary requirements etc.

ReputationRep:
    Get a recipe book.

ReputationRep:
    First, a couple of rules that you might find helpful:

-When you're starting out don't improvise. Go for things that either you know go together or follow recipes. The reason is that improvising requires knowledge and experience: you need to know how long to cook different things for and how to cook them, or you'll end up with things being ready at different times. You also need to know what flavours go well together, and to balance the different textures. Those abilities come with experience.

-The microwave is for heating things up that you could eat without heating them. Microwaved rice is more expensive, not as nice and worse for you than regular rice. Microwaved meat or fish is awful. Microwaved beans tend to split and go mushy (other than baked beans).

-Is there anyone who can help you? The best way to improve is probably to have someone cook with you who knows what they're doing and can help you when you aren't sure.

For your next meal, find something you want to eat, find a recipe and follow it. Something like bolognese is probably a good start: it's not too hard and doesn't involve any step that requires massive precision, but it'll introduce you to a variety of ingredients, herbs and flavours. It's going to be slow, because you'll be slow at chopping and peeling. Don't worry, you'll get better - and don't cut corners by not chopping things up as small as they should be, just concentrate on improving your technique. Resist the temptation to vary the amount of herbs and seasoning: for now, just taste the sauce before and after adding each of them. The idea is to get a feel of the difference they make so that you can build up an idea of how flavours combine.

Then come back with your results and we'll see where that takes us.

ReputationRep:
    Ew. Everything on that plate looks like death. :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you try and cook a recipe from a book/the internet? I don't know why the hell you would think you would be able to invent something tasty with zero cooking experience.

ReputationRep:
    That dish looks.... :lolwut: Michelin star standard... not.
    And please don't EVER microwave meat... Food poisoning is not fun!

Have you tried baking? That's a lot easier. It's your choice whether you want to do desserts or not but I'd reccommend you follow a recipe rather than just invent stuff up with what's around the house. Maybe try a simple chicken/fish pie?

ReputationRep:
    I'm stalking you. :ninja:

Do you use a wine glass everyday? -_-

ReputationRep:
    I think you're getting worse! lol

Also, that metal plate makes it look a lot like prison food.

ReputationRep:
    Microwaved meat? :puke:

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have my second ever attempt at cooking in a moment.

I had pasta + pesto yesterday. Today I'm going to cook.... Baked beans!

You are more adventurous than me, so gratz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xnatalie01x)
    I think you're getting worse! lol
    (Original post by Hala.)
    Ew. Everything on that plate looks like death. :zomg:
    (Original post by Cek)
    Looks like something I'd feed my dog to be honest, you got some weak cooking ideas that's for sure
    Criticism's good and all that, but how about suggestions on how I could improve?

ReputationRep:
    hahahaa. urm.. it looks like it would give you food poisoning or something. don't cook meat in a microwave.. that's how you can improve.

ReputationRep:
    Is that a snout O_O??

ReputationRep:
    You have the entire internet to look for some simple, easy recipes, and you come up with this monstrosity?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ozzy1267)
    Is that a snout O_O??
    :lol: No. I bought some pork, which came in a weird lump, so I put it into the microwave for a few minutes and then cut it into quarters.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.