Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My second ever attempt at cooking! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chocothunder)
    Criticism's good and all that, but how about suggestions on how I could improve?
    Sorry. D: erm, as for suggestions, I can't give you many because I'm not a meat-eater, but I would suggest calming down a bit. It looks like you found everything you could think of that is that same, unhealthy-looking beige colour and threw it together on a plate. You also need some more vegetables in your meals. You can do so much with vegetables, even just some onions and tomatoes. Plus, they won't give you food poisoning if you undercook them. :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fysidiko)
    leave it too hot and stir too vigorously and you get pasta and scrambled egg.
    this..... When it said remove from heat and let it cool slightly..I think I was impatient..

ReputationRep:
    It looks like you just dissected something in biology class.

But hey, I probably couldn't do much better for my second attempt..better luck next time!

ReputationRep:
    You feel you're ready for a more complex dish, why? Because you succeeded in your first two attempts? :P

ReputationRep:
    If you like pork, here is a simple and really nice recipe. You will need a casserole dish which has a lid, and heat the oven to 180 degrees centigrade. For two people, I generally use two pork steaks, but other cuts of meat will work too. Take one onion, peel it and chop it into smallish bits; one cooking apple (bramley), peel it, cut it into quarters, core each quarter and chop each one into about eight chunks. Put everything into the casserole dish, the meat should be surrounded by the apple and onion. Take one large can of cider (any kind) and pour it into the casserole dish. Scatter a little salt and pepper on the top. If you have some dried mixed herbs or rosemary, put some of that on the top too.

Put the lid on and put in the oven for 90 minutes. (If the dish looks a bit full, put it on a baking tray, then you won't have a messy oven if it bubbles up and spills over.) If you also put a couple of baking potatoes (wash them and then just poke a fork into them a couple of times to break the skin) in the oven they will cook in the same time, and it's easy to cook some green veg to go with it if you want to (frozen peas can be microwaved in 5-6 minutes).

Good luck!

wtf

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that looks disgusting tbh. lol

Try Balti curry. :coma:
    It's soooo good, I made it the other night and i'm not exactly brilliant at cooking but it did taste so divine. :laugh:
    You neeeeddd - 3 tomatoes, 3 onions, 2 tbsp of natural yoghurt, a fair amount of chicken, mild curry powder, garam masala (optional), garlic, ginger, any spices you feel like it, cinnamon (optional), coriander (optional).

Slice then Fry the onions in a large wok with oil until they're brown, then add halved and chopped tomatoes and stir well. Put the chilli powder, garam masala, ginger pulp, garlic pulp, spices etc in a bowl and mix then add to the wok and mix well for a bit, then add the uncooked chicken pieces a few at a time and keep mixing until they've totally soaked in the spices, add the yoghurt and leave for 15 mins on a low heat, add coriander and serve

Might be sliiiiightly wrong, better look online for a recipe, mine was in a recipe book. ;P But yeah it takes about half an hour altogether and tastes awesome.

ReputationRep:

I’m not going to lie to you; it wasn’t very nice at all. It was horribly dry, the pork (which I ended up doing in the microwave) was chewy like an old leather bag, and the rice and beans had about as much flavour as the plate on which they sat. My mum ate all of hers, but I ended up binning most of my portion again, as I wasn’t really very hungry. Any suggestions on how I could improve it? I feel I’m ready for a somewhat more complex dish, so what should I try and cook next?
    Right the microwave is for heating stuff up & cooking eggs. Please don't cook meat in the microwave! Also pork can make you very ill if you don't cook it well enough.

Pork is a meat which can get very dry but it is usually of a high fat content so use that to keep the meat moist. When I cook gammon/chops/pork belly I stud the meat with cloves and/or you can stick some sage/rosemary or thyme in there as they compliment the meat well. Add pepper and salt if you wish but as the meat gets dry I tend not to. I like to bake pork rather than roast because of the fat content but you can roast in oil if you prefer with root veg & potatoes. Yum!

Cook in the oven for about 45 mins or so for chops and a lot longer for a good lump of gammon! Remove foil for the last 20 mins of cooking so the fat can crispen!

Rice is easy to cook but it is best to remove the starch before cooking by resting in a jug of cold water, changing the water a few times. That way the rice isn't a sticky mess!

If you want to Carribbean style you can cook the beans in the rice and add some seasoning. Check online for this but I usually use salt/pepper/bay & garlic powder.

The important thing for roast dishes is gravy! You can use Bisto/Oxo or make it yourself. I tend to chop 1/2 a small onion & a quarter of a ref pepper and add some juices from the meat to the pan. Add a tiny bit of flour to thicken & add a lil bisto/oxo & water if too thick. I add a hot pepper powder for a spicy kick but you can add anything you like.

Cooking isn't that hard if you have a recipe but I love to add sauces & herbs for taste. Sometimes the meat & veg & etc taste good but need a lil help.

ReputationRep:
    If it's a lump of pork, follow a roasting recipe.

Try pork or lamb chops, or even steak. This stuff can be surprisingly cheap and easy to cook - cheaper than supermarket ready meals. You can grill the chops or fry the steaks. Bit of herbs and bobs yer uncle.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    you're 19 and all you can manage is 1 sandwich and 1 manky dinner?

dear God

ReputationRep:
    This is a good recipe; simple, tasty, and can be varied to suit whatever you have available.

onions/leeks
    garlic
    mushrooms
    courgettes
    peppers
    carrots
    peas
    small broccoli florets
    aubergine

...or any veg you like really, chop and bung in a pan until soft. Then add a tin of tuna/kidney beans/any other pulses/meatballs, a tin of chopped tomatoes, a stock cube and a sprinkle of the herbs of your choice (I particularly like rosemary, basil and mixed herbs). Leave to simmer for as bit, while you cook some pasta, rice or similar. You can turn it into a bolognaise by frying off some mince first in a separate pan (I pour off the fat when I'm watching my weight, but it's not essential) and adding it after the veg is cooked. Alternatively you can cook some chicken/turkey chunks and add those instead. Basically, any veg you like + any protein you like + tinned (or chopped fresh) tomatoes + seasoning, with carbs of your choice = yum!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

dear God
    When I was at uni I knew a 19-year-old who couldn't even cook a ready meal successfully :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)

dear God
    What an extraordinarily rude thing to say...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    What an extraordinarily rude thing to say...
    Well I admit it wasn't tactful, but it was true. I find it incredible that a 19 year old cannot even produce a simple meal. It shows an intense lack of maturity. Aren't you embarrassed? I would be personally but anyway...

I'm sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but I cannot change facts.

Now if you would like my opinion on a starter, first learn to boil an egg. As you are clearly a true beginner, then you need to learn to walk before you can run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cek)
    Looks like something I'd feed my dog to be honest, you got some weak cooking ideas that's for sure
    youd feed that to your dog? poor dog!

ReputationRep:
    The pork looks raw... reminds me of why I'm a vegetarian tbh!
    Um... why don't you get a cookery book? The Ultimate Student Cookbook is good.

ReputationRep:
    You COOKED pork IN THE MICROWAVE? The microwave is only for reheating things!!!

You should have stuck it in a nice roasty toasty oven with some extra oil and salt all over the fat so it turns into crackling :drool:

ReputationRep:
    Wow, we should get together and trade secrets!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheSownRose)
    Wow, we should get together and trade secrets!
    What happened to your £150 a week budget.

:facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    What happened to your £150 a week budget.

:facepalm2:
    I spend it and get other people to cook it. I'm not at uni at the moment, I'm stuck with the food at home.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.