Turn on thread page Beta

'seeing someone' vs 'dating' vs 'in a relationship' watch

ReputationRep:
    I always thought 'dating' just meant you were in the peripheral stages; seeing if you 'click' etc and from there it moves to 'seeing someone' if you start doing, essentially, anything involved in a relationship (in terms of intimacy at least). 'Seeing someone' seems to be broadly transitional, as the stage immediately preceding being 'in a relationship', and it's subjective as to what it involves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Seeing someone imo is frequently meeting them and such and a case of mutual likeness.

Dating is what my flatmate calls "Shopping" - looking around for someone, choosing your options.

A relationship is when you go on Facebook and change your status to "In a relationship"
    This.

I just love how the boundaries of a relationship have changed to about five clicks and as many key depressions(!)

ReputationRep:
    No idea really. My current person thing, I just assumed we were at "seeing each other" until around the time when he referred to me as his girlfriend, I found the boundaries a little fuzzy though.

I suppose it's "in a relationship" when you come to some kind of mutual understanding that you're exclusive and you would like to pursue the whole thing into the future because you really do quite like each other :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sir_Vile_Minds)
    Get off TSR and go say hi to girl. Tht should do the job.
    dude, i AM a girl

a large breasted one
    ....?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about this, as i dont have much experience but what happened to me is i became in a relationship when my ex asked me if i can be his gf and i said yes.. After that we told everyone were dating/have a gfandbf. Isn't dating the same as saying that you have a bf/gf?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kristinaalovesu)
    I don't know much about this, as i dont have much experience but what happened to me is i became in a relationship when my ex asked me if i can be his gf and i said yes.. After that we told everyone were dating/have a gfandbf. Isn't dating the same as saying that you have a bf/gf?
    dude thanks for your awesomely helpful post

this is exactly how dating works

when you are 12

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    dude thanks for your awesomely helpful post

this is exactly how dating works

when you are 12
    hahaha :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I hope I don't have to find a new relationship. I've always been 'asked out'

WIll you be my girlfriend :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humidex7)
    I hope I don't have to find a new relationship. I've always been 'asked out'

WIll you be my girlfriend :3
    wtf girls asked you out??? no way man what did they say? did you hit that up real nasty or what

ReputationRep:
    lol the dweeb who suggested this was being sarcastic, not serious!!!

whats the difference between seeing someone and dating?
    Dweeb?!? what, are you like 4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooster523)
    Dweeb?!? what, are you like 4?
    dude are you like a fool???:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    wtf dude are you like, a nerd???:eek3:
    Your primary school are on the phone, they want their insult back

ReputationRep:
    I don't know whether it's because I hang round with people from America/Canada, but "dating" can mean anything from one trip to the cinema and a peck on the cheek "casual dating", to an actual exclusive kind of thing "they are dating"

I normally just say i'm seeing someone because then I can elaborate based on how much of my private life i want people to know about.

ReputationRep:
    I don't really think there's much distinction between "dating" and "seeing" someone tbh. They're both quite casual, but everyone has a different perception of what "seeing" really is. IMO it's to establish whether the mutual feelings are serious enough to exceed to relationship level, therefore use "dates" as a way of testing this out.

ReputationRep:
    Stop worrying about semantics and just go by how you feel. It varies. Some people assume a relationship is exclusive from the first date, others don't. So long as the guy in question has similar views, why does it matter how you describe the relationship?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyFrisbeeFan)
    Stop worrying about semantics and just go by how you feel. It varies. Some people assume a relationship is exclusive from the first date, others don't. So long as the guy in question has similar views, why does it matter how you describe the relationship?

I agree with this person ^^^. Go with your instincts, everyone's opinions differ. Just s'long as you both know EXACTLY where you two stand, I suppose that's what matters.

ReputationRep:
    To me 'seeing someone' is when you meet up/go on dates every now and then; no commitment and not exclusively. 'Dating' is probably when you go out with them regularly, and there is some sort of agreement that you're a couple now and/or it's exclusive. A relationship is a long-term and completely exclusive agreement between two people; the 'boyfriend/girlfriend' stage that could turn into something more serious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayley22)
    To me 'seeing someone' is when you meet up/go on dates every now and then; no commitment and not exclusively. 'Dating' is probably when you go out with them regularly, and there is some sort of agreement that you're a couple now and/or it's exclusive. A relationship is a long-term and completely exclusive agreement between two people; the 'boyfriend/girlfriend' stage that could turn into something more serious.
    THANKS FOR THE DEFINATIONS.

WILL YOU MARRY ME??

ReputationRep:
    THANKS FOR THE DEFINATIONS.

WILL YOU MARRY ME??
    This stage comes after the other three, in case you were wondering.

And taken (by the 'dating' category). Cheers for the offer though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayley22)
    This stage comes after the other three, in case you were wondering.

And taken (by the 'dating' category). Cheers for the offer though.
    I DONT UNDERSTAND, WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO SAY?:confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 4, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.