Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm looking into possible career choices at the moment and while investment banking is very appealing I'm not willing to make the sacrifice of giving up virtually all my free time just to receive a big paycheque.

A decent salary is important to me however, as is a challenging and interesting job. I do really like the look of front office IB roles and would probably go for something like that were it not for the hours. Does anyone have any suggestions of other finance related jobs that are both interesting and rewarding but without 60+ hour weeks.

ReputationRep:
    bank robber
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Without 60 hours a week :toofunny:

Be a dancer/ musician/ footballer...

ReputationRep:
    SIXTY.

You're hardly talking about the ends of the world. 7am-7pm is 60 hours a week. Complaining about 12 hour days for what is one of the best paying industries is plain idiotic.

ReputationRep:
    Blood Money.

ReputationRep:
    Remember that the tax man takes a lot of your pay away once you reach the 40% band.. so you don't end up getting double the pay for double the hours...

ReputationRep:
    OK, that wasn't quite as productive as I'd hoped for. Just to be clear, I'm cool with 60 hours a week which is why I specified over 60. It's the 80-100 hour weeks of analysts that put me off. I'm sorry but money isn't my only goal in life and the pay, nice as it may be, is not worth that much of my time.

I'm also not looking for something that pays what investment banking pays, when I say decent salary I'm not talking IB/footballer/musician/bank robber type wages. I'd consider that a bit better than decent.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts guys. If anyone has any productive input I'd love to hear it.

ReputationRep:
    my alternative is to become an IFA. I worked in one over the summer and my boss was so impressed that he pretty much offered me a job for life there and then

EDIT: For those who don't know, and IFA is an Independent Financial Advisor, someone who gives impartial advice on a variety of financial dealings, such as ISAs, unit trusts, pensions, protection, tax planning and mortgages

ReputationRep:
    Have a look for jobs in Asset Management, Wealth Management, Family Offices, Endowments, FOHF, FOPEF, FOF.

Good money and less hours....its called the buyside

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of front office jobs are less than 60 hours a week.

Well, less than 60 in the office.

ReputationRep:
    You could try Operations & Business Support Services at BBs. Or you could give Big 4 accounting firms a try. Or maybe even a managerial position at one of those FMCG/CG/Energy companies; Mars, BP, Shell, Nestle, P&G etc have graduate starting roles.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe Corporate Finance for a Fortune 500 Company? There are some good programmes out there!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.