Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I will have done 4 years of spanish by the end of GCSE's (this summer). I enjoy Spanish and would like to continue it but not if it becomes reaaally hard.
    I'm predicted an A but i know if i work hard at it i could probably get an A*. :woo:

Would spanish A-level be good for Law/Maths based degree??
    Does it become much harder at A/AS level??
    Any advice??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm studying spanish and thinking whether or not i should do it for a-level as well! My sister is applying for uni this year and has done a-level spanish. She's said she felt a big jump from gcse (which is expected!) but she is brilliant at spanish and got an A at as-level. It's true that languages are really hard at a-level but they can be really useful. I don't know what grades you'll need for Law/Maths based degree but i'm hazarding a guess with mostly As and Bs. Also, I've been told by loads of people to do subjects you'll enjoy studying the next couple of years and subjects that you know you will get good grades in.

hope i was some help, good luck with this year!

ReputationRep:
    Hey, do you know you could study Law with Spanish? You might even be able to find a Maths & Spanish combo too. But what I want to get it is, how would you like to spend a year or semester abroad in a Spanish speaking country? This could be a possibility if you continue studying it. Personally I think having a language would be a complementing contrast to a law/maths course.

You should do subjects you enjoy, you are right on that one! I think the biggest difference I found after GCSE was that I became more aware of my mistakes. Spanish classes also focused more on culture/history and with literature too, but not just grammar exercises.

ReputationRep:
    I've just started Spanish AS and yes it's a massive jump. Especially since my teachers are new to my school so they have no idea what works best for my class or anything. I got an A* last year (and Spanish was the only subject I was sure of doing well in) but I'm finding it so difficult now. In fact, I've been putting off my listening homework for about 5 hours now lol :p: So if you're prepared to put in the work do it. It is rewarding. And it's supposed to get easier after the first term of Sixth Form I think where you start to remember everything you've forgotten again lol. And it's very useful for Law I think - they like a language.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone for your help. I really want to do we'll in spanish so im going to work extra hard this year and get at least an A!
    :grin:
    Good luck with your A-levels / GCSE's people ! :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny_veggies)
    Would spanish A-level be good for Law/Maths based degree??
    Does it become much harder at A/AS level??
    Any advice??

Thanks
    A language is always a good compliment to any subject, within reason. I know of people doing Law and French, doing History and Italian; though I've never heard of Maths and a language. That's not to say it's not do-able; a course in Maths & Spanish may well exist, or there's always the option of Lifelong Learning/Night schooling for the Spanish side of things during a Maths degree.

A-levels might seem like quite the jump up, but, it's mainly due to the fact that you haven't had time to practice your language over the summer. Essentially, you cover more cultural topics at A-level (rather than asking for sandwiches, or directions to the Panoramic Viewpoint) -- the thing that'll probably catch you out is the grammar, as to get a high grade you're expected to grasp the concepts better. By that, I mean you'll end up having a better (though in no way 'complete') knowledge of the subjunctive and the conditional, and be expected to make good use of them.

As a language advocate, I highly recommend you stick with it. Far too many students aren't taking MFLs these days. If you carry it through, to degree level, there's always the option of study abroad - I'm in Italy (though no association with Law/Maths); I have a friend studying Law in Belgium as part of his degree, with courses in French and Dutch included. It just opens up new avenues for you.

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know how much do you need to get an A* in spanish? i suppose it's 90%, but is this an average of all papers or in every paper?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 10, 2010
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.