Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Silly_Lily)
    This. I'm only getting 9 GCSEs (9.5 if you're counting R.S) I also don't get why Birmingham take so much consideration into GCSE results, whereas most others (including more 'sought-after' unis like Oxford) don't really care much.
    Well they don't use the UKCAT, which imo is a good and fair move. It does raise the problem of how to differentiate a huge number of candidates (that would inevitably apply just because they don't use it).

I think the reasoning behind it is that they believe it shows a longer-term, perhaps nerdish commitment to study that hasn't just arisen at A-level (because you can choose subjects that interest you more, or because A-level results are more important to your future). And perhaps because demanding a large number of very good GCSEs means they're singling out people who are academically good across a wide range of subjects (rather than just the 4 subjects at A-level). At least, that would be my reasoning behind it :p:

Of course, it isn't a great system for filtering through applicants . Some people's GCSE results don't reflect how hard-working they can be, some people just went to **** schools, some people took fewer GCSEs. But all med schools have to have a system, and no system is great. They all just try to not be totally baseless I guess.

And at least a reasonably well-informed applicant knows where they stand. Only the uninformed (or misinformed) or foolhardy wastes an application on Birmingham.

ReputationRep:
    more advice about whether or not to apply please

i got about 4 hours to make a decision lol. like i said, does anyone happen to know if good A level predictions would help me at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bertstare)
    My 4th choice is confusing at the moment. I was thinking Birmingham, but the problem is I only have 8A* and 2A at gcse, and i heard they keep upping the requirement every year and it could be risky.

I also have a 2A* and A predicition for A levels. do you think its worth applying or am I not likely to meet the cut-off? Last year below 8 werent accepted, this year it may be more?
    im confused here. do you need 7A*s at gcse to apply for any course at Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    This is harsh what if people only do 7 subjects and get straight A*s in them? I did 9 and I'm worried that won't be enough by the time I get to Uni deciding

ReputationRep:
    I would apply,

If you get an interview you are pretty much guarenteed an offer (source - applicant profiles and various posts on tsr), unless you completely alienate the interviewers or are dreadful at the interview (only 10% get rejected post-interview)

so go for it!

(Original post by amazinstudychic)
    im confused here. do you need 7A*s at gcse to apply for any course at Birmingham?
    No. This thread is about medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only on 8.5 A*s, poor me :P :P
    No seriously, it better not go up to 9

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sikitysix)
    Does b'ham interveiw everyone above the 8A*s cut off?
    hope so!

ReputationRep:
    so the general idea is - provided they dont decide to up it randomly, i should be safe with 8A*s? im still concerned i may just miss the cutoff

ReputationRep:
    I got 9A* but according to Birmingham's rules I only have 8. I'm still applying though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbavfc)
    I got 9A* but according to Birmingham's rules I only have 8. I'm still applying though.
    what are those rules?

ReputationRep:
    I'm amazed that I can feel very slightly disappointed by 8.5 A*s and 2.5 A*s
    gggggr, medical schools

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lbavfc)
    How come? I got a distinction in IT that i dont count :L

ReputationRep:
    Wow, 8 A* requirements. That's a joke. Luckily I dont want to do medicine but my PRIVATE GRAMMAR school only do 9 gcses, and make it compulsary to do a foreign language (which is something I am crap at). I could only reasonably of got 8a*s, but I chose to do art aswell considering I assumed gcses matter very little, and I was crap at that aswell. I think that cut-off is outrageous!

ReputationRep:
    ok need to decide soon. do i go for it or not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samw1se)
    I think the fact that Birmingham asks for 8 A* is frankly ridiculous. Really, how many people come out of state education with those kind of GCSE results? Our school only allowed us to take 9 GSCEs for goodness' sake.
    I went to a horrific state school with a 5 A*-C pass rate of just over 50% and I got 10A*s

ReputationRep:
    ok need to decide soon. do i go for it or not?
    I say go for it, you're very likely to get an interview, I doubt the cut off will go above 8 tbh! Good luck

ReputationRep:
    what are those rules?
    I got a Distinction Plus at BTEC Business Studies which is counted as 2a* but Birmingham only count it as one.

ReputationRep:
    I also have 8A*s and 2As so I emailed Birmingham asking if I'd be meeting the minimum requirements, and I got this reply:

"It is likely that you will be around the threshold for consideration.

Regards,
    Austen Spruce"

I'm personally not going to risk that, especially as I know people who have been told that it's going to be 8.5A*s this year but I guess it's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Im in the same situation and it is so AWKWARD :cry:
    Between Birmingham and Bristol? Where do I stand a better chance with 8 A* and 2 As? I don't know they both seem risky. So it's a matter of where my application is stronger?

In this case, where do you think it will be stronger?
    THANK YOU!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 15, 2011

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.