Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Good results shame among teenagers watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find it abit embarasing or uncomfortable when the teacher decides it is a good idea to:

A) Read out everybodys results out loud; some people get F's, some people get C's ... and then theres you who gets an A*...everybody turns around to stare at you for what seems like forever, with daggers in their eyes, I find it very embarrasing.

B) Puts up everybodys results on the board, ''OMG XXX GOT AN AYE STARRR'' then again the whole class stares at you forever

C) Singles you out and announces to everyone that ''BOB DID VERY GOOD HE GOT AN A* WELL DONE BOB'' everyone calls you a teachers pet.

D) Tell the WHOLE YEAR GROUP AT ASSMELBY ABOUT YOUR FANTASTIC RESULTS, 400 STUDENTS+TEACHERS STARE AT YOU THROUGH THE REST OF ASSEMBLY

Funny thing is if you celebrate everyone thinks your a big head and a jackass. If you dont say anything they think you're an uptight B**** so I just tend to smile.

Guess its just that I hate being the centre of attention, but I get dragged in due to my grades.

Life would be so much easier and simpler if I was dumb, I envy them from time to time

ReputationRep:
    a regular will hunting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoaringStar)
    OMG XXX GOT AN AYE STARRR
    Where are you from, Yorkshire?

I just ignore it.

ReputationRep:
    its your school, i get a* + i feel neeky but they no im not so its kooooo

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who got 100% on a history test once and cried because she didn't want people to think she was a geek because nobody else had done that well xD

ReputationRep:
    I got the best GCSE results out of all the boys in my year, full marks in my History, Ethics and Literature coursework at GCSE and then 4A*'S and 8A's.
    and then 100% in humanities,
    Then I got full marks in my literature AS exam.

I love the fact that everyone knows, and i'm not shamed by it.

I'm not the "typical geek", so it's nice that people know I get good results, care about my work but also have a sense of humour and a social life.

ReputationRep:
    If i ever got that and people were staring, i'd tell those dumb f*cks to look away.

ReputationRep:
    My tutor asked for my predicted grades it front of everyone, felt like a jackass.

Its a small price to pay for actually having the grades though, so cant complain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SoaringStar)
    daggers in their eyes,
    It's envy in their eyes

ReputationRep:
    Really? I never remember getting that response, I got on with a lot of people and I never felt ashamed or embarrased. And this is in a school where yesterday a parent threatened numerous children while holding a baseball bat and then at the end of the day proceeded to attack one.

EDIT: Mind you, my response was usually 'very pleased'. Don't shout out about it or act like a ****, everyone hates that, but no normal person will be pissed off with you if you are pleased with what you got.

ReputationRep:
    i generally turn to nearby failures and say something along the lines of "haha, lol".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Really? I never remember getting that response, I got on with a lot of people and I never felt ashamed or embarrased. And this is in a school where yesterday a parent threatened numerous children while holding a baseball bat and then at the end of the day proceeded to attack one.
    Yeah, this, exactly this. Everyone was impressed and happy for whoever did best - except one girl who insisted she was better than everyone else and hated me and my full mark English essays - and it was exactly this type of school, pretty dodgy area, crumbling building...

I think it was generally accepted that it's good to be smart and work hard.

ReputationRep:
    This always happened to me, particularly in Science because I was good at it. It got to the point where I asked him to give me my results separate because I was sick of people making a big deal about it.
    I got mine in private and they all made a big deal about the smart guy in the class who lapped up the attention.

Never happened in my school. Perhaps a bit of banter and a pat on the back if someone got top marks in an especially hard paper. You just go to a ****** school where no one appreciates their education.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah to be honest (although we never get it 'announced'). It's embarrassing when people ask you when you're around other people because the other people already know but you've got to say your results again with sort of no emotion or surprise. No other emotion is allowed. Only surprise :p: It's awkward.

ReputationRep:
    At least it's not...."and everyone got an A*...except for xxx" *everyone stares at you* "who failed..." *everyone laughs*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mega Nerd)
    At least it's not...."and everyone got an A*...except for xxx" *everyone stares at you* "who failed..." *everyone laughs*
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    We used to have a leader board, and every two weeks the school would update the board and it had everyone's name in the year group on. For about a half term I was number 2 ('twas not possible to beat number 1 :no: or at least no one ever did :p:) and everyone called me swot :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    We used to have a leader board, and every two weeks the school would update the board and it had everyone's name in the year group on. For about a half term I was number 2 ('twas not possible to beat number 1 :no: or at least no one ever did :p:) and everyone called me swot :sad:
    That sounds horrible. What was number 1 called?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Westie.)
    Where are you from, Yorkshire?

I just ignore it.
    yes, people do come from Yorkshire, what's wrong with Yorkshire? You starting on Yorkshire? because trust me we Yorkshireans are a pretty tough bunch. So if you don't want a knock on your door from Alan Bennet in the middle of the night, I wouldn't start on Yorkshire.
    There's a lot of us
    We could be a seperate country you know.
    Plus we have an awesome accent.
    oh and we invented the Yorkshire pudding.
    So end of.
    Thanks

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.