Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This concern is serious.

Ive been out of work for 1 month, and I'm bored out of my mind already. Ive had 13 interviews and was only been successful in 2, which I didnt agree terms with.

I have now been recruited as a volunteer for a charity organisation, which is an exciting full time position of organising comunity events etc. The terms are £50 expenses per week for 3 months, with a view to start a full salary in January should I impress them.

This is all very well for a futre prospect, and building my CV. However I will be using my evenings a weekends to remain job searching, and should the right paid job be offered, of course I would leave my voluntary role.

Now, despite the JSA terms cleary stating you can do as many voluntary hours as I like they are saying I have to come off JSA. The reason they state is that my voluntary has "potential for a job" and is more of a "graduate placement". True, but its not paid, and im still looking for work. The other problem is I can attend the sign on sessions, because I will work 9-5, so how can I be a full time volunteer and still get JSA?

ReputationRep:
    you cant because you are getting your expenses paid which to the JC looks like pay, you can only earn £15 (i think) and keep your JSA, you are technically (to them) in paid employment

also how can you still sign on if you are doing it mon-fri 9-5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    you cant because you are getting your expenses paid which to the JC looks like pay, you can only earn £15 (i think) and keep your JSA, you are technically (to them) in paid employment

also how can you still sign on if you are doing it mon-fri 9-5?
    Im not being paid, the £50 a week will not go much further than fuel cost at 40p/ mile.

Thats wrong, you can do 16 hours paid work and still claim. You can do as much volunteering as you like according to them, but apperntly they cant be flexible on their signing on days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trojan10_om)
    Im not being paid, the £50 a week will not go much further than fuel cost at 40p/ mile.

Thats wrong, you can do 16 hours paid work and still claim. You can do as much volunteering as you like according to them, but apperntly they cant be flexible on their signing on days.

but if you are working 9-5 monday to friday there is no flexible about it

most JCs (well around here anyway) shut at 5 and they arnt open weekends, you exepct them to stay open just for you, why should they be flexible for you

and that 50 quid you are getting will be counted (by them) as income

ReputationRep:

most JCs (well around here anyway) shut at 5 and they arnt open weekends, you exepct them to stay open just for you, why should they be flexible for you

I supose what I didnt make clear in my original post was that im working full time which are mainly office hours. There will be some evening and weekend events I will need to attend and therefore have occasional mornings off during the week. What anoys me is the Job Centre say I they cant be flexible with finding appointments to suit my voluntary commitments. I have to have 2pm on Wednesday, which is a full day of disruption given its a 30 min drive from work.

ReputationRep:

I supose what I didnt make clear in my original post was that im working full time which are mainly office hours. There will be some evening and weekend events I will need to attend and therefore have occasional mornings off during the week. What anoys me is the Job Centre say I they cant be flexible with finding appointments to suit my voluntary commitments. I have to have 2pm on Wednesday, which is a full day of disruption given its a 30 min drive from work.

ReputationRep:

tough, they say you have to go that time you go that time, you dont dicate to them they dictate to you

occasional morning? you would have to have one morning every 2 weeks off and then when you get to 13 weeks (and then again at 6 months) one morning a week but the time is picked by them not you

The job centre are ridiculous OP seriously. You have started this voluntary placement with the view to gain experience and perhaps find a salary and leaving in the middle of the day is hardly going to increase your chances of impressing the charity!! Could you do the postal method of signing on? I've heard of it but don't know much about it but the job centre sound like they're acting like douches :rolleyes: Perservere and explain a bit more to them otherwise just take it higher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    The job centre are ridiculous OP seriously. You have started this voluntary placement with the view to gain experience and perhaps find a salary and leaving in the middle of the day is hardly going to increase your chances of impressing the charity!! Could you do the postal method of signing on? I've heard of it but don't know much about it but the job centre sound like they're acting like douches :rolleyes: Perservere and explain a bit more to them otherwise just take it higher.
    That might have been useful, had it actually made any sense.

ReputationRep:
    From what I have heard, they can suck. My Dad was unemployed briefly and was having desperate times. They would pay him though because he went to Belarus for a few days to look for business oppotunities/work and they were adament that this was a holiday ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sauce)
    This is exactly right. I havent heard of the postal method, and couldnt find any information on it. Is is an option instead of going to appointments?

This is exactly right. I havent heard of the postal method, and couldnt find any information on it. Is is an option instead of going to appointments?
    Yup a quick google search says you can as far as I can see you need to just ask about it. It's basically the same process but they send the forms to you and you post it back!
    Google "postal signing on" and there are quite a few results which may be of use.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.