Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Becoming ill when away from home watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am from England but I go to University in Scotland, in my first year I became very ill with chest infections/bronchitis every time I wasn't at home to England - the reason I make this link is because on several occasions I went home and I would feel almost completely fine within a few days, then upon my return to University my symptoms would flare up again dramatically. I don't think there was any point at University last year where I wasn't ill. Antibiotics didn't seem to help much either.

I'm in my second year now and I've been back at University for less than two weeks after a long summer, and I'm already ill with exactly the same symptoms as last year. I feel extremely bunged up, sore chest and mucus rattling around when I breathe, with a very harsh cough. I can't help but think it's not a coincidence that I was completely fine over the entire summer, then I become ill again within less than two weeks of my return to University.

I was just wondering whether this was plausable, or why it would ever happen in the first place? I was never ever ill all throughout the years I was at school, and not once during the 6 months I was at home for the summer.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe there's damp in your room or a draft or something that's making you more vulnerable to catch stuff?

ReputationRep:
    It's probably now because you expect to get ill. Also, I think University in general is likely to make you ill because you're surrounded by unwashed students, you're more stressed and you probably get less sleep xD Like with school, infections get spread round quicker than when you're at home.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably freshers flu, but if you were really ill the whole year like you said, then go to the doctors (obviously)

ReputationRep:
    Could it be psycological? Maybe its the dramatic change in the quality of air. If you live in a quiet town in england and then you go to a city it might cause this, but I don't think that explains the long time. That happened to me just recently when I moved to uni, but it after a week of antibiotics, an inhaler and rest. :confused:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.