Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    *waves* I'm planning to get a centre labret piercing and I'm wondering how strict you need to be with not drinking. I'm very good with piercings and heal them fast (I've had 13, no novice :P) though i've heard it's a bad idea to drink at all during the healing process. Problem is my best friends 18th is next Saturday and I might have one or two then, would anyone with oral piercing experience give me some advice on how alcohol affected the healing?
    N.B I'd get it done tomorrow or Saturday at the latest
    N.N. Keeping to a strict regime of alcohol free mouthwash after every drink/smoke/eat etc.

ReputationRep:
    i'd advise against smoking as well as drinking... one of my friends got her tongue pierced, went on a night out a couple of days later, and it went green and had to be taken to hospital.... not fun

with both of my tongue piercings i basically started drinking again when the swelling had gone completely down and it wasn't too sore. bout 4 or 5 days. i imagine you could do the same with a labret and it'd be fine (healing will probably take longer though)

why not just wait till after your friends 18th though?

ReputationRep:
    Be careful not to swill the alcohol around the front of your mouth, I think you should stick to drinking from straws. I was fine with my labret.

ReputationRep:
    I can do without smoking for a few weeks that's cool. So straws plus low alcoholic drinks (beer/cider rather than spirits) seem to equal okay?

I guess so but I don't think my labret will swell badly as I've never had any piercing swelling at all before and I have ice prepared :P Also apparently swelling is a worse problem with rings than bars and I'm getting mine done with a long, long bar haha.

I could wait true but if I soon I can get it half price and I've been planning it a long time. (it doesn't coincide with my friend's actual birthday but her party, hence problem arises)

ReputationRep:
    I drank the day I got my tongue piercing, made no difference personally...I don't remember refraining from drinking at all actually.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clementinemary)
    I can do without smoking for a few weeks that's cool. So straws plus low alcoholic drinks (beer/cider rather than spirits) seem to equal okay?

I guess so but I don't think my labret will swell badly as I've never had any piercing swelling at all before and I have ice prepared :P Also apparently swelling is a worse problem with rings than bars and I'm getting mine done with a long, long bar haha.

I could wait true but if I soon I can get it half price and I've been planning it a long time. (it doesn't coincide with my friend's actual birthday but her party, hence problem arises)
    Anyone who puts a ring in a fresh lip piercing needs to be stripped of their licence. :wink2:

You might find that the lip will swell more than your other piercings, as any trauma to the lip tends to bring it up. But mine lasted only about a day or two. The biggest problem you'll have is eating, and try not to get too drunk because it's really easy to catch the back of the labret (as you'll be given a long bar to accommodate for swelling), on your teeth. And that will obviously be painful. Get it done before it gets too cold! Have fun =]

ReputationRep:
    I'd avoid things like beer especially but I can't see the harm in drinking vodka.

Meh, I was drinking vodka a few hours after I got my lip pierced.

FORGIVE ME PEOPLE, I WAS FOURTEEN AND, IN MY DEFENCE, 'EMO' HADN'T REALLY TAKEN OFF AND IT WASN'T 'COOL'!!1221

*hangs self*

ReputationRep:
    I think I was told not to smoke for 2 hours after and not to drink for at least 24 hours, better 48 hours, after having my tongue piercing.

Although I can offer no experiences, since I didn't drink for weeks/months after getting my tongue pierced anyway. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Anyone who puts a ring in a fresh lip piercing needs to be stripped of their licence. :wink2:

You might find that the lip will swell more than your other piercings, as any trauma to the lip tends to bring it up. But mine lasted only about a day or two. The biggest problem you'll have is eating, and try not to get too drunk because it's really easy to catch the back of the labret (as you'll be given a long bar to accommodate for swelling), on your teeth. And that will obviously be painful. Get it done before it gets too cold! Have fun =]
    Yeah, I went too check out 5 places (even though I knew it would Cold Steel no doubt) and all of them except two offered rings..seriously Camden needs some hardcore piercer inspection
    I guess injuring myself is another factor but I'm not planning on actually getting drunk (as I kinda have to look after my mates house haha) just to be able to have a drink or two.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.