Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone.

I have two interviews for 2 small animal vets placements. This is because of the demand for the placement so i really need to stand out from the rest.

Any tips?

Any likely questions that they may ask?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I've never had an interview for WE so I doubt I'll be particularly helpful here but... The only question I can be sure they'll ask is 'Why do you want to be a Vet?'

The other thing I would say is make sure you sound enthusiastic. I got my dairy farm placement originally at a younger age than they normally take through doing that on the phone, she said she wanted to turn me away but couldn't after hearing how enthuiastic I sounded (I found this out much later) - the insurance excuse didn't work as I'd phoned up the NFU and asked about an insurance policy, they said the farm insurance covers me unless I'm jumping up and down on rooves :p:. That was three years ago, I pretty much live there now lol!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robpattinsonxxx)
    Hey everyone.

I have two interviews for 2 small animal vets placements. This is because of the demand for the placement so i really need to stand out from the rest.

Any tips?

Thanks
    This seems like a really rare occurrence to me! As said before, make sure you have a really good answer to why you want to be a vet! Its not exactly going to be a university interview, so just sound really enthusiastic and passionate about what you want to do!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robpattinsonxxx)
    Hey everyone.

Any tips?

Thanks
    just make it clear that you want to get really stuck in and learn as much as possible about being a vet and how a practice works... other than that, persistance pays off, it took me a long time to convince my vets to take me on, i used to go in the there everyday after school to see if theyd take me... lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starfall)
    just make it clear that you want to get really stuck in and learn as much as possible about being a vet and how a practice works... other than that, persistance pays off, it took me a long time to convince my vets to take me on, i used to go in the there everyday after school to see if theyd take me... lol
    Haha! I bet they took you just to get rid of you after a week! :p:

I was lucky I think, I strolled into all of my placements!

ReputationRep:
    can't believe that! i got let down for one of my placements so called another surgery and literally within 5 minutes they offered me a week to go down and a day to meet them and find out what i was doing!

sound enthusiatic like someone else said and act as if you would actually help them out rather then just watching e.g. cleaning equipment and what not

ReputationRep:
    From a vet's perspective I think the purpose of the interview is simply to check that you're not a numpty or a timewaster.
    My last practice used to interview all of the students (except vet students as it's more difficult for them) beforehand. It was to check that the students were serious about applying to vet school, have a chat about their interests and how they were doing at school, subjects they were taking, other work exp etc and make sure that they'd be ok with spending some time with us.

I'm sure everyone on here is aware that vet placements are very precious. One of the big problems that practices face is that schools ask for placements for their 4th yrs (year 10s?) when they have the compulsory block of work experience. Very often the students aren't matched well to the placements and you get students who have no interest in the industry e.g want to be a beautician, hairdresser, firefighter etc.. (all real examples). It's no good for the student involved; and a nightmare for the practice staff and the vets especially in small ambulatory practices.

I hope this helps and gives you an insight to the interviewer's perspective
    Good luck & I'm sure you'll be just fine x

ReputationRep:
    Thats a great help thankyou very much

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.