Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Hi, I'm in my second year at York and have just been updating my application for loans and grants with SFE, my mum, who supports my application moved from England to Scotland over the summer.

    I'm entitled to the full £3k of maintanence grant because I have done and do live with her and her (taxable) income is just under £25k

    I've had a horrible realisation and can't find anything on the subject from either site, that I'll now have to be funded by the Scottish authorities, their grants and loans are substantially lower than what's available in England, since my mum moved a few weeks ago. Has anyone had any experience of this? Surely it can't be fair, I'm already into a course, have budgeted for next year and a circumstance independent of me changes and I'm penalised? I've updated my details with SFE and nothing out of the ordinary has been said so I am hopeful.

    My dad lives in England but earns £100k+ so obviously him supporting my application is a non option.

    I am at an English uni, I live in England, I've lived in England all my life and one parent moves to Scotland in the middle of my course!?!?

    I don't think that you'll need to apply for student loan by Scottish authority, you should probs still be able to apply through English student loan company (as you did last year)! You'd probably only have to apply via Scottish authority if you had moved uni, and were now staying in Scotland (but you're not...i presume!)

    I'd say just apply as normal through the English authority, but if you still want to make sure of your situation then try phoning up English loan company.

    Nah, you won't transfer to SAAS. It goes on your award authority when you started the first year of the course. This would be SFE, and stays that way for the duration.

University open days

  1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.