Turn on thread page Beta

so,i'm FUMING with my school right now watch

ReputationRep:
    MAJOR rant ahead, so continue at your own peril

i do the IB, at the end of year 12 we were asked to do internal mocks. i didn't put a huge effort into them, was pleasantly surprised when i came out with 4 "7"s at the end of it, but a 4/5 predicted grade in maths, and what i was told was a 6 in my actual physics exam, and also a 6 predicted grade. our physics teacher wrote this mark down when we asked her for our exam results, so we were understandably under the impression that we did in fact receive our grades
    i was slightly peeved that i had been predicted a 6 rather than a 7 even though i had a year(and the summer) to work on my grade, but concluded that that was life

fast forward to the end of summer, i've been asked to retake my physics and maths
    maths, i thought was understandable, and i put blood sweat and tears into improving my knowledge
    physics, on the other hand, seemed increasingly unnecessary as the exam drew closer and i hadnt revised - after all, i'd got a 6 in my exam and a 6 prediction...right?

i approach the teacher on the day of the retakes, and tell her the situation - i had prioritised maths, and had a letter from my parents explaining that they didnt think it necessary for me to retake physics, i'd done well enough
    then she drops the bombshell - i didn't in fact get a 6, i got what she described as a "very low mark"(doesnt actually specify what it is) , and the 6 they had told me i got was actually an "optimistic grade".
    bombshell no.2 - my predicted grade 6 had been conditional on me doing a resit - something which i hadnt actually been made aware of
    what i WAS aware of was the fact that friends doing retakes in other subjects were being allowed the keep the predicted grades they'd got regardless of what they got in the retakes, the retakes were, for them, simply a chance to maintain/improve their grade

i am of course furious that they basically lied to me about my grade, and about the massive inconsistencies between the departments (especially given that all of our applications would be going to the same unis, some of us would look ***** despite getting the same grades before the summer and putting in the same amount of work for the retake)
    however, i agree to do the retake, don't put up a fuss in the slightest because i conceded that i should probably have done some work over the summer

fast forward a week or so - i'm being told left right and centre by head of sixth form/head of curriculum/form teacher that i should have revised for my physics mock, that i was stupid and naive to think that my predicted grades before the summer were guaranteed (even though other people who even managed to come away with godawful marks in the retakes were getting away with their 6s), even that i was stupid and naive to think that my grade had actually been a 6 - according to them, i should have somehow known that it was optimistic and liable to go down if i didnt do the retake (but why would i have put in effort for the retake if i thought i'd got a 6 and i had a much more pressing maths retake???)
    i look at my physics grade and some grade boundaries i find on the internet - it seems i actually got a 5/6 in the exam o.O

any attempts to defend myself with ANY of the above, were refuted with "you should have put in work for you r retake, of course your grades were optimistic, you're struggling to get to a level 4 in physics right now"
    cue me walking around breaking into tears whenever im spoken to for a fortnight because im faced with the fact that my predicted grade has been brought down to a 5 a week before my ucas form is due in

im then told im being "given a second chance" with a unit test, that several teachers have "bent over backwards" to get the physics department to agree to this
    i obviously work my socks off
    come away with 43%, not great by any means but my physics teacher agrees that my paper showed a clear understanding of the topic (despite the fact that she didnt realise she hadnt taught us half of it until we told her 2 days before the test), and i understand her feedback, and my grade is put up to a 6
    huzzah!

all's well that ends well, right?
    no, today im brought into the head of sixth form's office because my physics teacher feels i cant "cope"
    erm...why? i did well in my test, i understand what im being taught, my grade has gone up, all my homework is on time
    i explain this to sixthformy, she feels i should maybe stop going to orchestra or to the handout i do for the homeless
    erm, guess what, all ive been doing this term is working anyway, i.e. no extra-curriculars whatsoever

she looks at my physics unit test (43%), summer exam (58 %)and retake grades (25%)and simply sighs deeply

she then, apparently on a whim, decided to check what 58% would actually be

and, bombshell number 3 - it's a 6
    i got a ******* 6 in the first place

i got. a . *******. 6

i'm in tears right now, so unbelievably angry at everything they put me through, so angry at how naive they made me feel and the fact they basically called me stupid and brought my grade down, SO SO angry that head of sixth form puts my file away asap and i get nothing near an acknowledgement of their giant ****** , let alone an apology
    im willing to let go of all of this, it's life
    what im especially angry about is the fact that this extremely prestigious fee-paying school could not even be ****** to get it's departments to tell a central body, or even me, what i got in my exam. did anyone even chec what a 58% was ??? r did they just assume it was awful

NOBODY BOTHERED CHECKING WHAT I ACTUALLY GOT IN MY EXAM UNTIL TODAY.
    I HAVE BEEN PUT THROUGH **** BECAUSE OF THIS
    I DEMAND A ******* APOLOGY IF NOTHING ELSE
    am i justified?? im talking to my form teacher tomorrow to sort this out, if nothing comes of it, as my grievances have clearly been ignored until now, my parents will complain - they're paying for this ****

tl;dr version - my school ****** up my predicted grades, told me i got a 6, then that they lied and were being optimistic, it was a 5, and accidentally stumbled across the fact that i actually got a 6 today, after ive been made to feel stupid and naive and lazy. i get no acknowledgement of this error, and complete lapse in communication within the school and with me, whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    calm down?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry to hear that If if helps I could tell you about what a ****-up my department made with my Master's thesis?

I think especially as you're paying, you have the right to properly complain about this. All you want is an apology!

ReputationRep:
    This is why i quit the IB! GO COMPLAIN!!

ReputationRep:
    Damn that alot to read.

ReputationRep:
    any thoughts
    or just comfort
    so angry. and tired. im sick of the pressure this school puts on us to do well
    i was asked today in the same meeting with sixthformy if i needed counselling because several people had described me as looking "down"
    i wonder why??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
    calm down?
    i would, and i wished beyond belief that whole week i was walking around in tears that i could just stop being such a pussy
    but honestly, it's bulls***. they had me believe i was an idiot and that i wasnt going to get into uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theths)
    i would, and i wished beyond belief that whole week i was walking around in tears that i could just stop being such a pussy
    but honestly, it's bulls***. they had me believe i was an idiot and that i wasnt going to get into uni

I dont know anything about the IB but getting a 5 doesn't make you an idiot and is not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    x[/B]
    Jesus. The world isn't good enough. Calm down, these aren't actual grades. Take a ******* chill pill, because year 13 IB is going to be a lot of stress and if you are freaking out like this I'd hate to see you over the course of the next year. If they lost your coursework or something then this rant would be justified. But this grade means nothing at all in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I'm really sorry to hear that If if helps I could tell you about what a ****-up my department made with my Master's thesis?

I think especially as you're paying, you have the right to properly complain about this. All you want is an apology!
    it would probably just make me slightly more bitter but go for it if it makes you fell better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingergooner)
    Jesus. The world isn't good enough. Calm down, these aren't actual grades. Take a ******* chill pill, because year 13 IB is going to be a lot of stress and if you are freaking out like this I'd hate to see you over the course of the next year. If they lost your coursework or something then this rant would be justified. But this grade means nothing at all in the long run.
    but they do, because im applying to one of most competetive uni courses there is , at some of the most competetive unis with them :/
    at most unis, my application would get discarded straight away with such crap grades at HL

ReputationRep:
    *Hug* :jumphug: It's all going to be OK now, you have your six And you deserve an apology!

ReputationRep:
    You would be justified I think in making a big fuss about this, make sure you make the points of the situation which annoyed you clear.

However, they sound disorganised and like they probably wouldn't do anything anyway. So personally, I'd probably reassure myself that I had the 6, my prediction got sent off right in the end and it was all gonna be ok.

Out of interest, I don't get when your ucas was due in... is there a different date for IB or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PaperSnowAGhost!)
    I dont know anything about the IB but getting a 5 doesn't make you an idiot and is not the end of the world.
    it does in this world, and its resulted in me having to have all sorts of meetings/remedial sessions/retakes
    seriously, i know this will probably be good for me in the long-run or whatever, but right now i just wish i went to a normal sixth-form rather thatn one where 50% of the year went to oxbridge, 10% to the ivy league and the rest to *shock horror* bristol/warwick etc

literally, i know people who have york and warwick as their backups. what the actual :|

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    You would be justified I think in making a big fuss about this, make sure you make the points of the situation which annoyed you clear.

However, they sound disorganised and like they probably wouldn't do anything anyway. So personally, I'd probably reassure myself that I had the 6, my prediction got sent off right in the end and it was all gonna be ok.

Out of interest, I don't get when your ucas was due in... is there a different date for IB or something?
    ha, yeah ill probably just leave it after the massive rant to my form tutor tbh
    and no, it was an internal deadline because they have about 100 applications to check and process for early entry

ReputationRep:
    MAJOR rant ahead, so continue at your own peril

i do the IB, at the end of year 12 we were asked to do internal mocks. i didn't put a huge effort into them, was pleasantly surprised when i came out with 4 "7"s at the end of it, but a 4/5 predicted grade in maths, and what i was told was a 6 in my actual physics exam, and also a 6 predicted grade. our physics teacher wrote this mark down when we asked her for our exam results, so we were understandably under the impression that we did in fact receive our grades
    i was slightly peeved that i had been predicted a 6 rather than a 7 even though i had a year(and the summer) to work on my grade, but concluded that that was life

fast forward to the end of summer, i've been asked to retake my physics and maths
    maths, i thought was understandable, and i put blood sweat and tears into improving my knowledge
    physics, on the other hand, seemed increasingly unnecessary as the exam drew closer and i hadnt revised - after all, i'd got a 6 in my exam and a 6 prediction...right?

i approach the teacher on the day of the retakes, and tell her the situation - i had prioritised maths, and had a letter from my parents explaining that they didnt think it necessary for me to retake physics, i'd done well enough
    then she drops the bombshell - i didn't in fact get a 6, i got what she described as a "very low mark"(doesnt actually specify what it is) , and the 6 they had told me i got was actually an "optimistic grade".
    bombshell no.2 - my predicted grade 6 had been conditional on me doing a resit - something which i hadnt actually been made aware of
    what i WAS aware of was the fact that friends doing retakes in other subjects were being allowed the keep the predicted grades they'd got regardless of what they got in the retakes, the retakes were, for them, simply a chance to maintain/improve their grade

i am of course furious that they basically lied to me about my grade, and about the massive inconsistencies between the departments (especially given that all of our applications would be going to the same unis, some of us would look ***** despite getting the same grades before the summer and putting in the same amount of work for the retake)
    however, i agree to do the retake, don't put up a fuss in the slightest because i conceded that i should probably have done some work over the summer

fast forward a week or so - i'm being told left right and centre by head of sixth form/head of curriculum/form teacher that i should have revised for my physics mock, that i was stupid and naive to think that my predicted grades before the summer were guaranteed (even though other people who even managed to come away with godawful marks in the retakes were getting away with their 6s), even that i was stupid and naive to think that my grade had actually been a 6 - according to them, i should have somehow known that it was optimistic and liable to go down if i didnt do the retake (but why would i have put in effort for the retake if i thought i'd got a 6 and i had a much more pressing maths retake???)
    i look at my physics grade and some grade boundaries i find on the internet - it seems i actually got a 5/6 in the exam o.O

any attempts to defend myself with ANY of the above, were refuted with "you should have put in work for you r retake, of course your grades were optimistic, you're struggling to get to a level 4 in physics right now"
    cue me walking around breaking into tears whenever im spoken to for a fortnight because im faced with the fact that my predicted grade has been brought down to a 5 a week before my ucas form is due in

im then told im being "given a second chance" with a unit test, that several teachers have "bent over backwards" to get the physics department to agree to this
    i obviously work my socks off
    come away with 43%, not great by any means but my physics teacher agrees that my paper showed a clear understanding of the topic (despite the fact that she didnt realise she hadnt taught us half of it until we told her 2 days before the test), and i understand her feedback, and my grade is put up to a 6
    huzzah!

all's well that ends well, right?
    no, today im brought into the head of sixth form's office because my physics teacher feels i cant "cope"
    erm...why? i did well in my test, i understand what im being taught, my grade has gone up, all my homework is on time
    i explain this to sixthformy, she feels i should maybe stop going to orchestra or to the handout i do for the homeless
    erm, guess what, all ive been doing this term is working anyway, i.e. no extra-curriculars whatsoever

she looks at my physics unit test (43%), summer exam (58 %)and retake grades (25%)and simply sighs deeply

she then, apparently on a whim, decided to check what 58% would actually be

and, bombshell number 3 - it's a 6
    i got a ******* 6 in the first place

i got. a . *******. 6

i'm in tears right now, so unbelievably angry at everything they put me through, so angry at how naive they made me feel and the fact they basically called me stupid and brought my grade down, SO SO angry that head of sixth form puts my file away asap and i get nothing near an acknowledgement of their giant ****** , let alone an apology
    im willing to let go of all of this, it's life
    what im especially angry about is the fact that this extremely prestigious fee-paying school could not even be ****** to get it's departments to tell a central body, or even me, what i got in my exam. did anyone even chec what a 58% was ??? r did they just assume it was awful

NOBODY BOTHERED CHECKING WHAT I ACTUALLY GOT IN MY EXAM UNTIL TODAY.
    I HAVE BEEN PUT THROUGH **** BECAUSE OF THIS
    I DEMAND A ******* APOLOGY IF NOTHING ELSE
    am i justified?? im talking to my form teacher tomorrow to sort this out, if nothing comes of it, as my grievances have clearly been ignored until now, my parents will complain - they're paying for this ****

tl;dr version - my school ****** up my predicted grades, told me i got a 6, then that they lied and were being optimistic, it was a 5, and accidentally stumbled across the fact that i actually got a 6 today, after ive been made to feel stupid and naive and lazy. i get no acknowledgement of this error, and complete lapse in communication within the school and with me, whatsoever.
    you seem to have had it quite hard. but i think you might have to steady yourself. often in life people don't apologise when they should. so i imagine you might get a half-arsed, "well if you feel you were badly treated, we're sorry that you felt that way", type apology.

ReputationRep:
    And breath.

That really is ****, but at least now it's corrected and your predicted grades will be right. You'll be leaving the school to go to uni in what? 6 months? So at least you'll be out of there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJP)
    *Hug* :jumphug: It's all going to be OK now, you have your six And you deserve an apology!
    aw. thanks

ReputationRep:
    I lost "honours" from my degree because my supervisor claimed plagiarism on my project proposal... I included studies in my introduction (only) as I was laying the foundations for my idea. I received a nice red stamp on my introduction and an even larger question mark on 'my actual proposal' that followed. I wasnt even allowed the meeting to explain away the '?' that apparently is a statutory entitlement.

They did give me a leaflet for an external, independent body the OIA after months of effort & time appealing to them; naturally the deadline for the OIA is limited to within 3 months of the event...

ReputationRep:
    :console:
    Poor you! as to what to do as much as I'm sure you'd like an apology it's unlikely to happen the school is unlikely to admit they did anything wrong as the teachers are likely to cover their tracks. If you really want some acknowledgement from the school it would be better to get your parents involved and have them complain make as big a fuss as possible thats what my friends parents did when the school gave her ridiculous predicted grades because she had got mumps right before her AS's.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.