Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Receiving money from abroad - is it free? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

I moved to Glasgow recently and I need to open a bank account ASAP in order to pay my rent. I considered 4 banks: Bank of Scotland doesn't suit me as it takes them 2 weeks to open an account. I also went to The Royal Bank of Scotland and I was told there that they might charge me for receiving money from my home country (which is in the EU). Do you guys know if Lloyds TSB and Clydesdale would charge me for that as well? This seems a little crazy to me, if I was the one sending money, that's be fine, but paying when the money is sent to me... ridiculous.
    If you know anything about that, please reply!
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    They charge you for receiving money? I've never heard of that. What are you talking about, wire transfer or WU or what?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Not sure would have though there would be a limit on currency amounts that can be transffered out the country

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.