Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so far I've managed this unit but I am stuck at a question in which I don't understand the language used, what does:
    -line of action of this force; (is in the same)
    -vertical plane; (as)
    -the line of greatest slope of the inclined plane
    mean?

An answer would be much appreciated as I want to get this hwk. done and we haven't come across any of this language in class doing examples let alone in physics. (I understand line of action is where the force acts and an equal and opposite force will lie along the same line, but that is about it.

All the forces in the system are in an equilibrium, if that if helpful, and I ask because I have to sketch the system in order to solve it.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    The line of action is the line which goes through the point at which the force is applied, and is in the direction of the force. For example, say you have a bead attached to a rod and you're holding a string which is attached to the bead. If you pull the string at an angle of 45° to the rod then the bead will still move along the rod, but the line of action of the force will be line which is at 45° to the rod (and through the bead).

A vertical plane is exactly what it says on the tin really. It usually refers to converting a 3D problem into 2D (i.e. a plane). In a vertical plane, you usually (in A-level problems) have gravity acting downwards. For example, if you throw a ball, then you're interested in the motion (a) in the direction you throw it, and (b) in the vertical direction [how high or low it is]. You can ignore the third direction, and what you're left with is a vetical plane.

The line of greatest slope of an inclined plane is just a fancy way of saying the line that "points directly uphill". You can think of an inclined plane like a skate ramp, or like a road which is on an angle. If you stand looking directly up, that's when the slope is greatest; if you then rotate a bit so that you're looking up it at an angle, the slope in that particular direction is less.

ReputationRep:
    @nuodai
    Thanks for the help- I've managed the question, it was relatively simple once I got my head round the wording. Your analogy helped immensely in looking at the question!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 30, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.