Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanz_a93)
    A team of astronomers has confirmed the discovery of a planet which they claim possesses the most Earth-like conditions beyond our own world.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20100930...r-98fda55.html

what are your thoughts on this?

So what? they're obviously out there in their teeming billions.

Hardly a big deal. Unveiling the curtain doesn't mean a lot when you know what's behind it anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin Bieber)
    *removes Justin Bieber persona*

Oh my. You have been misinformed haven't you? You do understand that they have been here all along. Not just them, but others to. 99% of the population on Earth either (i) Don't care about sitting around all day questioning the existence of life elsewhere in the cosmos (ii) Fail to comprehend anything outside their backyard. We know nothing. If the secret intelligence agency did in fact tell the media strands of truth, then how we would interpret it? We would just account it as another hoax or misinformation.

Ultimately, intelligence life (a grand designer) transformed us from Apes to Humans. Darwinian natural selection doesn't support this I'm afraid, there simply isn't evidence. Assured I am in my belief, I guarantee that what I'm saying is to some extent fact, not some dystopian dilemma.

We all live our lives to quickly to understand what's going on around us. Society is marginalised. More than 80% of the human population live below the poverty line - earning less than $2.50 a day and therefore, are to some extent misinformed. They would be too blinkered to identity intelligent life if it walked up to them, I'd assume they would mistake it for a European!

People don't care. Nor do they understand the secrets the government is keeping from society. I mean, why should they tell us? It would cause global hysteria. Society would collapse, religious anarchy... What would be the point in that?
    Uh, yeah, whatever the relevance to my post was, I was only joking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Incredible)
    Why not just use the stargate? :dontknow:
    I really don't know mate I tell em every time something like this comes up.

In fact I said the same to a friend a few days back, I'd made a cake and was eating it, they said they wanted some cake. I said I would but...

1) I don't have their 7 symbol address

2) My USB stargate keeps having glitches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShnnyShiz)
    There is the possibility of travelling faster than the speed of light without violating physics though, by warping space-time in front of and behind the spacecraft so that it travels in a "bubble". The spaceship itself would not be moving, but carried in the space-time bubble and is therefore not subject to time-dilation or relativistic effects. :yep:
    (Original post by Jallenbah)
    Assuming that it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light, yes. However you never know. Maybe one day we will find a way to go faster.
    Fair enough, this is why I dropped physics I guess...

ReputationRep:
    Given that it's 20LY away I've figured it out to be ~189345600000000km away from earth based on the speed of light 3x10^8m/s which would mean if we travelled at 1000km/h it would take us 21600000 years to get there. Damn.
    Even if you went at 100,000km/h you would still need 216000 years to get there.
    To get there in a year you would need to travel at 21600000000km/h

Essentially atm it's impossible to get there and any messages we send with todays technology will take 20 years to arrive. Our view of it is 20 years out of date as well, it could be destroyed or knocked out of orbit however unlikely as that is.

Still very cool.
    why not make a drug that would keep you alive for 216000 years
    would be exciting if ye could go see living things-- make new friends with weirdos
    start a new life LOL

ReputationRep:
    Given that it's 20LY away I've figured it out to be ~189345600000000km away from earth based on the speed of light 3x10^8m/s which would mean if we travelled at 1000km/h it would take us 21600000 years to get there. Damn.
    Even if you went at 100,000km/h you would still need 216000 years to get there.
    To get there in a year you would need to travel at 21600000000km/h

Essentially atm it's impossible to get there and any messages we send with todays technology will take 20 years to arrive. Our view of it is 20 years out of date as well, it could be destroyed or knocked out of orbit however unlikely as that is.

Still very cool.
    not if we master going through wormholes brah

ReputationRep:
    But unlike Earth, this alien world has one side always facing its sun and the other side constantly in the dark. So in-between the two sides, between shadow and light, there could be an area where life could potentially thrive.
    :facepalm: There's definitely no life there.

Guess we'll have to keep looking.

ReputationRep:
    This is excellent news! - the possibilities are endless!

Unless of course it is 'Planet X', then the possibilities are not endless....

Two years and counting....

ReputationRep:
    What is really scary is the thought that they have an internet website, where they are discussing about a planet they call Earth, and they have just discovered it, having this exact conversation at their end....think about that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    :facepalm: There's definitely no life there.

Guess we'll have to keep looking.
    Another young being on another planet in another solar system is probably saying exactly the same thing as you.

If you think that you are the only race in existence in this vast, vast universe, then you are no different than the religious people who think themselves more special than 'unbelievers' before the sight of a divine being.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bufferz)
    What is really scary is the thought that they have an internet website, where they are discussing about a planet they call Earth, and they have just discovered it, having this exact conversation at their end....think about that
    Even more crazy and scary - what if it IS Earth, but from another dimension?

Even more so, what if on that Earth, in its past, Hitler actually won the war?

What if...?

This could go on...:woo:

ReputationRep:
    I desperately want to call the planet Omicron Persei 8.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Even more crazy and scary - what if it IS Earth, but from another dimension?

Even more so, what if on that Earth, in its past, Hitler actually won the war?

What if...?

This could go on...:woo:
    yo...that is rubbish! it cant be earth cause it is a lot bigger and that star has planets around it unlike our planets....your an idiot!!!

im sure hitler would love my music...maybe i can date his daughter?? (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destes)
    Jallenbah made something exciting into something boring real quick...
    this

ReputationRep:
    Assuming that it's impossible to travel faster than the speed of light...
    That's not a assumption physicists have made. It's physical law.

(Original post by Justin Bieber)
    Actually there are an infinite number of galaxies in our universe, with an infinite number capable of supporting life.
    Umm, not really. An infinite universe causes many problems. It's quite accepted that we live in a finite and flat universe.

ReputationRep:
    21600000000km/h That's 77760000000000km/s
    What?

No?

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour:

60^2 * 77760000000000 = 2.79936*10^17 <> 21600000000

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)

If you think that you are the only race in existence in this vast, vast universe, then you are no different than the religious people who think themselves more special than 'unbelievers' before the sight of a divine being.
    Its a good thing you said 'if'

Ironic, because my religion says there is life on other planets, and earth like planets. Allah is named 'Lord of all the worlds' in the very first verse of the Quran.

Note: heavens means space, (nothing to do with a heavenly afterlife, muslims call that jannah meaning paradise)

(Quran 65.12) Allah is the one who created seven heavens and Worlds like Earth; [Allah’s] command descends among them (heavens and earths) so that you may know that Allah is capable of anything and that Allah knows everything.

(Quran 42.29) And from His signs He created the heavens and the Earth; and the land animals that He scattered in BOTH of them (heavens and Earth); And He is capable of gathering them (in one place) if He wishes.

(Quran 16.49-50) And to Allah kneels what's in the heavens and what's on Earth, of land animals and angels, and they act with no arrogance; They fear their Lord above them and they do what they are ordered.

(Quran 17.44} The seven heavens and the Earth and everyone in them glorify Him [Allah]; and there is nothing that doesn't glorify HIM thankfully; but you (humans) do not understand their glorification. He is Compassionate, Merciful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dknt)
    That's not a assumption physicists have made. It's physical law.

Umm, not really. An infinite universe causes many problems. It's quite accepted that we live in a finite and flat universe.
    uhm... maybe i meant theres an infinite number of universes with an infinite number capable of supporting life.... (Y) DD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naffy)
    Its a good thing you said 'if'

Ironic, because my religion says there is life on other planets, and earth like planets. Allah is named 'Lord of all the worlds' in the very first verse of the Quran.

Note: heavens means space, (nothing to do with afterlife)

(Quran 65.12) Allah is the one who created seven heavens and Worlds like Earth; [Allah’s] command descends among them (heavens and earths) so that you may know that Allah is capable of anything and that Allah knows everything.

(Quran 42.29) And from His signs He created the heavens and the Earth; and the land animals that He scattered in BOTH of them (heavens and Earth); And He is capable of gathering them (in one place) if He wishes.

(Quran 16.49-50) And to Allah kneels what's in the heavens and what's on Earth, of land animals and angels, and they act with no arrogance; They fear their Lord above them and they do what they are ordered.

(Quran 17.44} The seven heavens and the Earth and everyone in them glorify Him [Allah]; and there is nothing that doesn't glorify HIM thankfully; but you (humans) do not understand their glorification. He is Compassionate, Merciful.
    whoa inc!!! chill dude....stop quoting rubbish thats not true...ok ok its a story some guy made up cause he was bored of chopping wood.. maybe get a hobby?

nasty stuff quoting from fiction.... (Y)

ReputationRep:
    why does there have to be like earth before people consider a possibility that there is life on it?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.