What?

No?

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour:

60^2 * 77760000000000 = 2.79936*10^17 <> 21600000000

Woops, went the wrong way :P

I did 21600000000*(60^2) :V

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin Bieber)
    yo...that is rubbish! it cant be earth cause it is a lot bigger and that star has planets around it unlike our planets....your an idiot!!!

im sure hitler would love my music...maybe i can date his daughter?? (Y)
    Justin?:eek:

As in, Justin 'cutey-boy' Bieber??:eek3: :eek3:

WTF are you doing here??:woo: :woo:

Of course, it is not you, is it....?

Got my hopes up for nothing.....:mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatebrownbread)
    why does there have to be like earth before people consider a possibility that there is life on it?
    Life as we know it. The laws of science may not apply on other planets - life in searing temperatures or freezing cold. But conventional wisdom holds that if there is intelligent life elsewhere it has been created in similar conditions to those which we were created in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Justin Bieber)
    uhm... maybe i meant theres an infinite number of universes with an infinite number capable of supporting life.... (Y) DD
    That I'll be happy to accept!:woo: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dknt)
    That's not a assumption physicists have made. It's physical law.
    The laws of physics are all just very educated and tested assumptions anyway. Physics "laws" have been proven incorrect over the years and there's no reason why this one can't be.

I was speaking to a friend of my dads who is an astrophysisist and he was saying something about g=GMm/r^2 not working in some situations they've recently observed or something.

My point is that just because someone has slapped the title "law" on it, it doesn't mean that it can't be proven wrong.

ReputationRep:
    That planet is no good to any of us because we can't settle there or even have a look at it.So what's the point of having that discovered planet if we can't even see any of the beings that inhabit its plains and peaks.
    If they really want to get in touch with me they are most welcome but somehow I don't think they are interested at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doubledog)
    That planet is no good to any of us because we can't settle there or even have a look at it.So what's the point of having that discovered planet if we can't even see any of the beings that inhabit its plains and peaks.
    If they really want to get in touch with me they are most welcome but somehow I don't think they are interested at all.
    yeah that scientist is a nutjob....tell me about it :rolleyes:

your right! why are we so special? we are just an ordinary planet orbiting an ordinary star...we are an advanced breed of monkey with delusions of superiority....lol :P

if you were an advanced alien society would you travel thousands of miles to us when you have better things to do? its like walking past an ant and trying to give it our knowledge...meh its only an ant....meh were only human.

they only discovered the planet to it looks like science is actually doing something....i guess. ok ok i know that this world aint goona last foreva....but neither in that new earth. by time we invent technology to travel to it we will be dead, nuclear war...be controlled by technology or even sucked into the internet and live our lifes on virtual reality!!!! we hibernate all our life to play in virtual reality cause its more fun!!!!

humans aint gonna go no where... we just say that to be hopeful.. (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jallenbah)
    Given that it's 20LY away I've figured it out to be ~189345600000000km away from earth based on the speed of light 3x10^8m/s which would mean if we travelled at 1000km/h it would take us 21600000 years to get there. Damn.
    Even if you went at 100,000km/h you would still need 216000 years to get there.
    To get there in a year you would need to travel at 21600000000km/h

Essentially atm it's impossible to get there and any messages we send with todays technology will take 20 years to arrive. Our view of it is 20 years out of date as well, it could be destroyed or knocked out of orbit however unlikely as that is.

Still very cool.
    Well thanks for that Einstein

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Justin Bieber]yeah that scientist is a nutjob....tell me about it :rolleyes:

your right! why are we so special? we are just an ordinary planet orbiting an ordinary star...we are an advanced breed of monkey with delusions of superiority....lol :P

if you were an advanced alien society would you travel thousands of miles to us when you have better things to do? its like walking past an ant and trying to give it our knowledge...meh its only an ant....meh were only human.

they only discovered the planet to it looks like science is actually doing something....i guess. ok ok i know that this world aint goona last foreva....but neither in that new earth. by time we invent technology to travel to it we will be dead, nuclear war...be controlled by technology or even sucked into the internet and live our lifes on virtual reality!!!! we hibernate all our life to play in virtual reality cause its more fun!!!!

humans aint gonna go no where... we just say that to be hopeful.. (Y)[/QUOTE
    couldn't agree more- why should those advanced aliens want to bother to contact a load of violent drunks who can't be bothered to do anything except to threaten each other with roadside bombs and nuclear weapons ?
    They are better off waiting until we all kill each other with global warming and then they can come and take over this fair planet to save the whales and livestock-totally innocent goats sheep and pigs, not to mention insects and seagulls etc.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone watched Stephen Hawkings universe last week you would have seen that if we used the current rocket boosters we have now then using a gigantic rocket ship (to carry all the fuel) you could accelerate to 99.99% the speed of light after 6 years of acceleration. At this speed time slows down so a week on board the ship would be the equivalent of 100 years on Earth. This would allow you to travel massive distances in short amounts of time.

Obviously accelerating for 6 years isn't practical but I'm sure we could invent far more powerful rockets capable of reaching those kinds of speeds in a considerably shorter amount of time.

So getting to a planet that's 20 light years away could only take what seems to you a few weeks/months. But imagine how ****** up things would be if whenever you wanted to travel like that, everyone and everything you know that wasn't travelling with you would age by decades while you remained the same.

ReputationRep:
    People who get excite over this need to get real.

They are BILLIONS and more races out there,some in thier infancy and some who are increidble advanced to an uimangble state.
    Some races may even have empires.

Infact i bet you any money that two or more different races from different planet have contacted each before.

We are insigifancant over grown monkeys.

ReputationRep:
    looks like it has more land than water...

ReputationRep:
    Given that it's 20LY away I've figured it out to be ~189345600000000km away from earth based on the speed of light 3x10^8m/s which would mean if we travelled at 1000km/h it would take us 21600000 years to get there. Damn.
    Even if you went at 100,000km/h you would still need 216000 years to get there.
    To get there in a year you would need to travel at 21600000000km/h

Essentially atm it's impossible to get there and any messages we send with todays technology will take 20 years to arrive. Our view of it is 20 years out of date as well, it could be destroyed or knocked out of orbit however unlikely as that is.

Still very cool.
    how can we possibly send it a message in 20 years?? via radio frequencies or something?? i guess not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    how can we possibly send it a message in 20 years?? via radio frequencies or something?? i guess not.
    If you send any kind of electromagnetic signals they will get there in 20 years. Radio waves or micro waves would be preferable I'd guess.

You'd need an absolute monster of a transmitter I'd assume.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amuroray)
    People who get excite over this need to get real.

They are BILLIONS and more races out there,some in thier infancy and some who are increidble advanced to an uimangble state.
    Some races may even have empires.

Infact i bet you any money that two or more different races from different planet have contacted each before.

We are insigifancant over grown monkeys.
    firstly, isigifancant isn't a word.

secondly, do you have proof that there are other planets out there and that two races have contacted each other before? I respect the fact that you are making a statement based upon what you judge to be probable, but in actual fact you have no real evidence to support any of the statements you've just made. Just a thought..... who knows, we might be the most technologically advanced race, or even the only race! yet, we might also be one of the least technologically advanced race, who knows; you certainly don't...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hanz_a93)
    A team of astronomers has confirmed the discovery of a planet which they claim possesses the most Earth-like conditions beyond our own world.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/38/20100930...r-98fda55.html

what are your thoughts on this?
    Nah nah, that is like not possible because Jebus said so.

Well of course they found an Earth like planet. As it says in the article:
    He added: "The number of systems with potentially habitable planets is probably in the order of 10 or 20 percent, and when you multiply that by the hundreds of billions of stars in the Milky Way, that's a large number. There could be tens of billions of these systems in our galaxy."
    Simple statistics for you.

ReputationRep:
    If you send any kind of electromagnetic signals they will get there in 20 years. Radio waves or micro waves would be preferable I'd guess.

You'd need an absolute monster of a transmitter I'd assume.
    To be honest I doubt you could send one that far. It would need to be directed somehow and over such a distance over such a long period of time the message is bound to get lost or affected in some way. Although, I was thinking, if we had a renewable energy source that we could fit onto a spaceship type aircraft to sustain flight over 21.6 million years and enough space to fit 3 generations of astronauts on, then in effect you could have a breed of human that is made specifically to fly to that planet. Although it would kinda suck in about 5 million years time when we might have the technology to get there in 20 years for generation after generation of astronauts to have been stuck in the aircraft sent from 2010 hahaha.

sorry, thats just me thinking out loud there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SK-mar)
    ... who knows; you certainly don't...
    And neither do you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShnnyShiz)
    I think we are still at least a hundred years off anything capable of travelling remotely close to the speed of light. The fastest we have at the moment is probably nuclear pulse propulsion which can reach around 10% the speed of light.
    There is the possibility of travelling faster than the speed of light without violating physics though, by warping space-time in front of and behind the spacecraft so that it travels in a "bubble". The spaceship itself would not be moving, but carried in the space-time bubble and is therefore not subject to time-dilation or relativistic effects. :yep:
    3 hours later.. come again?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morris743)
    And neither do you.
    and did I say I did.....

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.