Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, im applying for a graduate BDS course for 2011, and have just done a pharmacy degree.

I have always wanted to study dentistry but didnt get any interviews the first time around.

Now I am writing my personal statement and i am not sure if i should write that i have always wanted to do it and didnt get in so did pharmacy, or should i say i have had a change of heart?

I dont know what to do but would really like it if you guys could offer any help or advice

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kimberlyjohnson466)
    Hey everyone, im applying for a graduate BDS course for 2011, and have just done a pharmacy degree.

I have always wanted to study dentistry but didnt get any interviews the first time around.

Now I am writing my personal statement and i am not sure if i should write that i have always wanted to do it and didnt get in so did pharmacy, or should i say i have had a change of heart?

I dont know what to do but would really like it if you guys could offer any help or advice

thanks
    I think honesty is always the best route, as they will quiz you about it in your interview. There is no harm in saying you didn't get in first time round, as it shows just how keen you are to do dentistry - going off to do an undergrad and coming back after that!

Do you know what parts of your application let you down last time round? Just do that you can make sure you give yourself the best chance this time.

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks, i think it was mainly my gcse grades, (too many b's) but I managed to get two a's at a level, and a first in my degree.

Also would you recommend putting your grades for all your university modules on ucas, or just your final mark?

ReputationRep:
    ok thanks, i think it was mainly my gcse grades, (too many b's) but I managed to get two a's at a level, and a first in my degree.

Also would you recommend putting your grades for all your university modules on ucas, or just your final mark?
    I haven't bothered putting my university modules on the UCAS form - just mentioned anything relevant in my Personal Statement.

You'll be absolutely fine now - a first is brilliant (well done!) and most places only require BBB or CCC at A levels when you have a good degree in science as well. So don't you worry about it!

Where are you thinking of applying?

ReputationRep:
    A first in Pharmacy is insane. If I got in with a handful of weeny Highers, you should sail though the process :/

Put your modules in if there's an option to do. The more information the better and all that.

Tell them you've always wanted dentistry, and thought post grad would be the best route for you to get in. They love commitment. Also, if you're applying to the same universities you did first time round, they'll know anyway.

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot, im thinkin penisula and liverpool atm but not quite sure yet what about you?

ReputationRep:
    thanks a lot, im thinkin penisula and liverpool atm but not quite sure yet what about you?
    I'm thinking Liverpool GEP, Kings GEP, Leeds 5yr, and I don't know about my 4th choice. Maybe Liverpool 5 yr. Or Peninsula if they ever reply to me about whether I will be considered

ReputationRep:
    okay good luck

ReputationRep:
    Applying for both liverpool courses will give you a very high chance of interview and a place. It can mean all the difference, as I only applied for the GEP course at liverpool. I got an offer but it was deferred entry, and my friend who applied for both GEP and undergrad got an offer for that year. This is also considering that I also put Liverpool dentistry as my 1st choice before A levels as well as studying my undergrad at Liverpool.

ReputationRep:

thanks
    Hey.. i heard that you completed pharmacy and now want to apply for dentistry.. jus wanted to ask if you are going to complete your pre-reg before applying or ur jus gona try for GEP dentistry straight after u finish ur degree?

ReputationRep:

thanks
    Heyy firstly congratulations on getting a first in your Mpharm!!!

I've just started my Mpharm degree having narrowly missed out on the grades this year to get into dentistry, but im planning on reapplying after this degree like your doing!!

I was just wondering how much work experience you did? ...and also if your going to do/have already done your pre-reg in pharmacy???

...btw good luck with your application... hope you get into dentistry school!!!

ReputationRep:

thanks
    how did it go?...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 17, 2016

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.