Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Why is it society says we should talk with people in public? This is when most people do not. On trains, buses, in the queue in a bank, etc. most just talk on their mobile phones, or look out the window or text their friend. Few engage in conversations with strangers.

Is it just the PC society that says people do this?

ReputationRep:
    tbh.. i only do if they are around the same age, few years older and i'd think they would think I'M weird.. if they are younger.. i'd feel weird lol

ReputationRep:
    I talk with anyone and everyone. One of the best conversations I've had this week was with an old lady at the bank talking about the end of the world, revelations style. So much fun

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard anyone say that we should talk with people in public .

ReputationRep:
    I do speak to strangers quite often when I'm out, not so much deep conversation but polite small talk.

ReputationRep:
    I do.. no one ever replies though.

ReputationRep:
    why do talk to strangers though? the definition of stranger is that we don't know them, so have no tie to them, right?

ReputationRep:
    only small talk!
    I talk to customers all the time though!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I do, sometimes I even just talk to random people ( Only girls ) with no intention of actually pulling them...usually when I'm bored tho.

ReputationRep:
    only small talk!
    I talk to customers all the time though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    why do talk to strangers though? the definition of stranger is that we don't know them, so have no tie to them, right?
    Because all your friends started as strangers...

Or, if you're looking at it from an entirely selfish point of view, you might benefit from it - either by enjoying the conversation or getting something from the other person.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertine)
    Because all your friends started as strangers...

Or, if you're looking at it from an entirely selfish point of view, you might benefit from it - either by enjoying the conversation or getting something from the other person.

I'm a closed person, and i don't care much about people in public.

ReputationRep:
    Then don't talk to them. I don't think anyone gives a **** tbh

ReputationRep:
    I don't.

ReputationRep:
    I do, if something jumps out to talk about, or if they talk to me.

ReputationRep:
    Why ask for directions? Why ask for the time? Why ask someone where they got that cool jacket from? Why ask a girl if she wants to have coffee?

Get my point, Raj?

ReputationRep:
    I talk to strangers all the time. You can't meet remarkable people without embarking on a remarkable adventure.

ReputationRep:
    I live in London. The looks I would get if I tried to strike up conversation with a stranger!

ReputationRep:
    ...and nothing of value was lost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    Why ask for directions?
    I always carry a map.
    Why ask for the time?
    I always carry my mobile phone clock.
    Why ask someone where they got that cool jacket from?
    People could walk naked for all I care, I don't care what others wear.
    Why ask a girl if she wants to have coffee?
    I think talking to younger women only strokes their egos.

Get my point, Raj?

Generally, no. I just go about my own business in public. I find the average UK person too shallow, too aggressive, too inhumane and too up themselves to converse with. I am not these things, even if I was born in the UK too.

Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.