Turn on thread page Beta

India- starting from scratch watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missy Sara)
    So i'll be travelling to india next summer- around 4 weeks. In July.

I'm literally starting from scratch. I have no idea where to visit or things. I'm wanting to see a mix of tourist sights, cultural things, local markets, and religious spots. Also i love to eat and travel like a local.

Realistically i have a budget of £800 when i'm there. There are two of us travelling together.

Is it possible on this budget?
    July=monsoon- will this be a problem?
    Where should i visit? Sights/areas?
    Anything else?
    I went for two weeks, it's amazing. Go to a hill station or mountain towns, they're so beautiful and some have amazing British architecture, there's one with tudor style buildings! I can't remember what it's called. I went to Kodaikonal and it was breathtaking, like an Indian version of the lake district and the best views I have ever seen in my life.

And spend longer than 2 weeks! People say it's a culture shock but it is sort of overwhelming if you go somewhere off the beaten track. I didn't see anyone white for a week so was continually stared at but the people are so friendly. It's different but brilliant.

I plan to go back when I'm older and I've heard of so many amazing places. I'd get a couple of guidebooks and go from there.

(Just be careful with food and drink sealed bottles of water).

ReputationRep:
    Eight hundred pounds is plenty of money in India since everything is so incredibly cheap. A very good cup of tea costs 3-5Rs which is less than 10p. Other than the ''normal'' sites that people visit in India e.g. Delhi, Agra, Jaipur I would recommend Tamil Nadu and Kerala which are in the south of India. I'd also echo what the above poster said about Kodaikonal - it's breathtaking. You could also take a slow boat through Kerala's waterways or head down to Kanyakumari (the southern tip where three bodies of water meet).

If you want religious authenticity I would recommend Tirupathi - its one of the most incredible things you'd experience. You can organise tours from Chennai. It's the most visited temple in the whole of India, perhaps in the world. On any given day there are up to 10,000 - 100,000 people. As a tourist you could probably take the short queue to see the main shrine (note that the poor often wait 24 hours in the general queue for a 10 second viewing of the main shrine).

In the north there are great opportunities for trekking/hiking e.g. Ladakh and Kashmir. Udaipur is also an incredible destination with floating palaces and in the east of India you can visit the few remaining wild Bengal tigers.

Hope you enjoy your trip!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.