Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    I got 2 A*s at GCSE I'm pretty sure 6 A*s here is pretty much average, if not above average, and is certainly more than enough.
    Yeah but you happen to be a mathematician. I heard that they are more likely to take a talented mathematician whose sole A* was in Maths than someone who is really talented but only got an A* in English Lit.

I got three so I may be being a bit ambitious but then again what the person told me may be talking absolute crap...

Decisions, decisions... :holmes:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by sango)
    Yeah but you happen to be a mathematician. I heard that they are more likely to take a talented mathematician whose sole A* was in Maths than someone who is really talented but only got an A* in English Lit.

I got three so I may be being a bit ambitious but then again what the person told me may be talking absolute crap...

Decisions, decisions... :holmes:
    I didn't get an A* in Maths, my A*s were in French and Music; and I didn't apply for Maths (but I did apply for Computer Science with Maths, so the entry requirements were the same).

ReputationRep:
    I got 2 A*s and 7 As at GCSE. My AS grades were AAAAB (average UMS 89%). My PS was alright, and from my experience, most students here actually have an interest in their course anyway.
    Wow! What course did you apply for?

The reason I am so interested is because of one of my friends. We are both applying to Cambridge, yet I seemingly have the better grades. His parents paid a lot of fees for him at school and he only managed to go out with 1 A*, 6 As and 2 Bs and now got 3 As and a B at A-Level - I think he is intelligent and he really seems intent on applying there. Yet, our friendship is having some friction because of my seemingly superior grades - 5 A* and 7 As at GCSE (which I do not even think are great because I did not take GCSEs seriously unlike those with 10 A*s!) and 4 As at AS. I try to be modest with my grades but I still think he is aggravated by my grades and that the fact that we are applying for the same course in the same top university.
    What do you think? - Maybe I should tell him about you - make him feel better, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by innerhollow)
    Perhaps you phrased your post wrong. You said something like "you will get in with those grades". Obviously with 4A* predictions the OP would be considered since his grades are more than enough, but short of being on an International Olympiad team there is basically nothing for which you can say "You will get in" for Cambridge. Certainly top grades in mere A-levels would not be anywhere near enough to guarantee a place.
    yeh, i phrased it wrong, but then i corrected it by saying im not sure, its just my opinion
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Sovr'gnChancellor£)
    Wow! What course did you apply for?

The reason I am so interested is because of one of my friends. We are both applying to Cambridge, yet I seemingly have the better grades. His parents paid a lot of fees for him at school and he only managed to go out with 1 A*, 6 As and 2 Bs and now got 3 As and a B at A-Level - I think he is intelligent and he really seems intent on applying there. Yet, our friendship is having some friction because of my seemingly superior grades - 5 A* and 7 As at GCSE (which I do not even think are great because I did not take GCSEs seriously unlike those with 10 A*s!) and 4 As at AS. I try to be modest with my grades but I still think he is aggravated by my grades and that the fact that we are applying for the same course in the same top university.
    What do you think? - Maybe I should tell him about you - make him feel better, no?
    I applied for Computer Science with Maths (which contains 50% of the first year Maths course so has the same entry requirements), and I transferred to Maths after my second week. It really depends what course your friend is applying for, but you can "tell him about me" if you like. I'm not exactly a unique incidence; I have quite a few friends with 1-4 A*s, and I'm sure there are others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiamingles)
    Hello all.

For GCSE's I got:
    6 A*'s, 5 A's and a B.

For AS's I got:

4 A's.

Do you think my GCSE results would hinder my chances of getting a place at somewhere like Cambridge?

Thank you
    Oh, and OP, your grades are fine.

There are people in Oxford and Cambridge with at least one C or even D in their GCSEs.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for Computer Science with Maths (which contains 50% of the first year Maths course so has the same entry requirements), and I transferred to Maths after my second week. It really depends what course your friend is applying for, but you can "tell him about me" if you like. I'm not exactly a unique incidence; I have quite a few friends with 1-4 A*s, and I'm sure there are others.
    Ah, excellent. This will definitely make him feel better, as long as he is determined - but then again it is one of the most competitive courses.

ReputationRep:
    I've got similar grades at GCSE to you: 5A*s 4A's and a B (Drama), as well as the 4 A's at AS level. Tbh I don't think they take GCSE's too seriously. All they ask is for you to have a majority of A/A*s. I really doubt they'll set quotas and actually count them.

My worry is that my sixth form isn't predicting the A* grade, even though - by virtue of my UMS marks - I would have been predicted A*A*A*. Does anyone reckon this will disadvantage me?

Also, I've been through the state school system and I qualify for Aimhigher (my parents never went to university), and so my grades are much higher than my school's average. Do Oxford/Cambridge factor this in?

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get an A* in Maths, my A*s were in French and Music; and I didn't apply for Maths (but I did apply for Computer Science with Maths, so the entry requirements were the same).
    Oh. But how come you're doing maths now then? No offence but my impression was that someone who does Maths at any university, let alone Cambridge would need to have a) An A* in GCSE maths and B)To just be generally amazing at the subject. I can only assume that you aced your A-Level maths/further maths/STEP.

Furthermore, is it true that you will need a bike if you go to Girton?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by sango)
    Oh. But how come you're doing maths now then? No offence but my impression was that someone who does Maths at any university, let alone Cambridge would need to have a) An A* in GCSE maths and B)To just be generally amazing at the subject. I can only assume that you aced your A-Level maths/further maths/STEP.
    I didn't really take my education seriously at GCSE because I was convinced I wasn't going to do very well. When I did do well, I pulled my socks up in sixth form. Acing FM/STEP would have had nothing to do with me getting an offer, since when I applied all I had was AS Maths (and my other AS subjects), but compared to a sizeable chunk of applicants I didn't even really ace that. I resat my C1 module, which went up from 86% to 98%, so that probably helped.

I think what won it for me was the fact that I genuinely had a passion in the subjects I was applying for, and was able to demonstrate an upward trend in my ability. By the end of Y13 you would never have known that my Y11 attendance was 60% and I was hung over for half my GCSE exams, because I started taking my education seriously and properly worked at it (and have continued to do so).

(Original post by sango)
    Furthermore, is it true that you will need a bike if you go to Girton?
    Definitely, it's miles away from anything.

ReputationRep:
    How good would you say the school you studied your AS's at was? i.e. Was it one of those under-performing schools?
    I have to say, I've heard your story a few times and it never fails to impress me. You genuinely define natural talent!
    I'll stop showering you with praise now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiamingles)
    Hello all.

For GCSE's I got:
    6 A*'s, 5 A's and a B.

For AS's I got:

4 A's.

Do you think my GCSE results would hinder my chances of getting a place at somewhere like Cambridge?

Thank you
    They're fine.

My friend's moving to Cambridge tomorrow to study PPS, her GCSE'S were 2A*'s, 7A's and 2C's I think. She retook year 12 after failing the first time, -got AAAC second time round for AS.

I guess you have a fairly good chance of getting accepted.

All the best!
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    How good would you say the school you studied your AS's at was? i.e. Was it one of those under-performing schools?
    Nope. The school I was at for GCSE was on special measures, but the sixth form I went to was really good.

(Original post by Farhan.Hanif93)
    You genuinely define natural talent!
    Not really, I just have the unusual habit of procrastinating from doing work in one subject/area by doing work in another That's half of why I'm so active on TSR. I procrastinate from degree-level Maths by helping people with A-level Maths topics.

ReputationRep:
    Not really, I just have the unusual habit of procrastinating from doing work in one subject/area by doing work in another That's half of why I'm so active on TSR. I procrastinate from degree-level Maths by helping people with A-level Maths topics.
    I suffer from the same curse I guess... :rolleyes:
    Your ability and passion obviously must have really shone through at interview since you've already told us that you felt you're grades aren't what you'd expect of a successful Cambridge student.

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.