Turn on thread page Beta

Should same-sex universities be introduced? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think same-gender universities would be a good idea. There are same-sex schools, so why not same-sex unis? Its a good way of maintaining modesty, chastity and focusing on work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluebell100)
    Its a good way of maintaining modesty, chastity and focusing on work.
    Doesn't sound like university to me. :curious:

No, there's no need to cause further segregation between genders. University should be a meeting of minds (:awesome:) regardless of gender.

ReputationRep:
    If you spend your whole education in a single gender institution, how on earth will you cope when you get into the real world and have to deal with the opposite gender?

I've spent 7 years in an all girl's school and it's just not reflective of real life.

By the time you're 18, you should really be able to cope. Are you going to make sure you have a job that's segregated too?

ReputationRep:
    No.
    If you can't work maturely with members of the opposite sex, how on earth are you ever going to survive in the real world?
    You can be modest without having to hide from anyone who doesn't have the same genitalia as you.

(Original post by lizlaz350)
    If you spend your whole education in a single gender institution, how on earth will you cope when you get into the real world and have to deal with the opposite gender?

I've spent 7 years in an all girl's school and it's just not reflective of real life.
    I have to ask - was there a lot of *****ing?

ReputationRep:
    How strange, tbh I think by the age you are when going to university it would be a little unnecessary, and not at all a popular idea, to introduce same sex universities

ReputationRep:

This. I don't know many that want a single sex uni.
    And helloooo, sexual frustration? Some people wouldn't be able to concentrate in lectures...:p:

ReputationRep:
    Modesty and chastity. Yeah, because homosexuals don't exist.

ReputationRep:
    By the time you're 18, you should really be able to cope. Are you going to make sure you have a job that's segregated too?
    I strongly suspect that the OP will never have a job, her husband isn't going to allow it.

ReputationRep:
    What is this, I don't even...

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I think same-gender universities would be a retarded idea.
    FYP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TShadow383)

I have to ask - was there a lot of *****ing?
    Unfortunately, yes. It's extremely catty. There's also so many drama queens - you ask them to do a simple thing, like keep their voice down and they take it on a vicious personal attack on them.

However, as I never experienced a mixed gender school, I don't know if the girls in those schools would be better or worse. Although, I suspect all girls schools are far *****ier.

ReputationRep:
    No, just no.

ReputationRep:
    I think same-gender universities would be a good idea. There are same-sex schools, so why not same-sex unis? Its a good way of maintaining modesty, chastity and focusing on work.
    I agreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    being realistic people get into uni worrying about will they get sex or not instead of will i pass or not?

ReputationRep:
    Urm why? University prepares you for work, I'm afraid to tell you that the world of work is not segregated, you will be working with other men and women.

ReputationRep:
    This is U.K, not Saudi Arabia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I strongly suspect that the OP will never have a job, her husband isn't going to allow it.
    LOL true.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    but... universities started as single sex places! royal holloway was an all-female uni, st anne's oxford was all female. st hilda's oxford was the same until recently. most unis didnt allow women until 1800s. you seriously want to revert back to that? Emmeline Pankhurst would be well impressed...

ReputationRep:
    I graduated from a same sex uni in the US and nothing is wrong with the idea. I don't know all about the maintaining modesty and chastity part but you're able to focus on work more and plus, guys were allowed to take classes at our uni. like other female colleges in the US. I enjoyed my experience.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.