The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

eerrmmm i don't think soo, that'd suck big timee.....
Reply 61
The reason this is an idiot idea is because at the university level, the nature of the course and name of the university matter to employers (in some industries more than others) when recruiting graduates.

Obviously it is not fair to suddently dictate that a university is going to become a single-sex institution since this would (especially if it was a top ranking university) cause the gender which was excluded to be disadvantaged in the employment market.

Also, you are usually free to socialize which whom you want at university so that if you do not wish to converse with people of the other gender, there is no compulsion to do so. Of course, if you are working in a team as part of your course, to request that all members were of the same gender as yourself would lead you to be accused of sexism. In fact, the whole idea of 'single-sex universities' is likely to be deemed very sexist.
Reply 62
I'd think they were great if I were homosexual.

But I'm not.
Reply 63
So at the age of 18 you can't handle being with the opposite gender?

Regardless of anything you should be able to handle the opposite sex.
Reply 64
esachica
This. I don't know many that want a single sex uni.
And helloooo, sexual frustration? Some people wouldn't be able to concentrate in lectures...:p:

The foot-tapping would bring the lecture theatres down, one by one.
lizlaz350
Unfortunately, yes. It's extremely catty. There's also so many drama queens - you ask them to do a simple thing, like keep their voice down and they take it on a vicious personal attack on them.

However, as I never experienced a mixed gender school, I don't know if the girls in those schools would be better or worse. Although, I suspect all girls schools are far bitchier.

I don't even get why people say this. I've come across seriously bitchy girls at my school, and it was a mixed school. Heck, even some of the guys were bitchy :colonhash:

In response to the OP: no, it's a silly idea. We as humans need to learn to live in harmony, not be segregated unnecessarily, not at uni age anyway.
Reply 66
Don John
The foot-tapping would bring the lecture theatres down, one by one.

Now we certainly couldn't have that!
Reply 67
We already have one, it's called Imperial?
I cba to read all the replies, but some Oxbridge colleges used to be single sex (some Cambridges ones might still be). St Hilda's was I think the last one to change at Oxford, just a couple of years ago. They were actually recieving less than one applicant per place, and that's at OXFORD! Show's it's not a massively popular idea.

As other ppl have pointed out, you need to be able to relate to the opposite sex when you graduate, get used to it. Most unis do single sex flats in halls if it bothers you to be living with the opposite sex, which I can understand more.
Reply 69
This is absolutely an inane idea. How pathetic is it to be a full grown adult, and still be incapable of socialiasing, or learning with the opposite gender. Instead you use a cop out reason of 'mantianing chastity'. Seriously if you don't have the will power to control yourself as an adult, you should never ever be even considering attending uni. Or rather, I assume you just are backwards and are opposed to integrating with the other gender.

Aj12
It can also be maintained by not being a slut and keeping your clothes on around men. Are you a lesbian btw OP or simply Asexual?

She's muslim...
Same sex institutions are ridiculous.

Unless, you know, it's like a maternity ward or something.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 71
-Exo-

She's muslim...

Thats no excuse for this werid attitude to have towards men. Come on she would try to avoid meeting men in even a formal situation thats just :facepalm:

She is not going to get raped or seduced by every man she meets.
Reply 72
Yeah! We should get those women out of our uni's, work places, off the streets and out of schools! Now where to put them? Oh, I know we'll keep them at home where they can't hurt themselves...
So many people have tryed so hard to bring us together, but some just don't understand we can't stay appart our whole lives.

same-sex work places, they're a good way of maintaining modesty, chastity and focusing on work.
I've only extended your logic, and frankly it sounds a wee bit sexist.
Reply 73
Aj12
Thats no excuse for this werid attitude to have towards men. Come on she would try to avoid meeting men in even a formal situation thats just :facepalm:

She is not going to get raped or seduced by every man she meets.

No, I agree it's no excuse. It's frankly ridiculous.
Of course not!
Reply 75
bluebell100
I think same-gender universities would be a good idea. There are same-sex schools, so why not same-sex unis? Its a good way of maintaining modesty, chastity and focusing on work.

Why would people want to maintain modesty and chastity?
Reply 76
bluebell100
I think same-gender universities would be a good idea. There are same-sex schools, so why not same-sex unis? Its a good way of maintaining modesty, chastity and focusing on work.

You're missing the fact that same sex schools are a TERRIBLE idea!
Reply 77
Definitely not!
God, I hate these stupid ideas!? What is the point in separating the sexes? For a start the real/working world would come as a hell of a shock to people. And what is the point of avoiding all temptation? I thought the idea was to be strong and avoid temptation in religion, not just to get rid of all aspects of life where you might be tempted...? The idea in the Garden of Eden, sin, etc, was about telling them not to touch the fruit and trusting them to do as they were told, not just keeping them away from it to avoid sin. (That's probably not a good argument but still :smile: ) I mean if you are intelligent enough to be at university and live on your own, then surely you should have enough self-control to concentrate on your work and not be stopped by the slightest distraction? (That question mark shouldn't be there but anyway).

I don't agree with separating people in any area of life, I would have hated to have gone to an all-girl school. I know some religions want women to cover up so they won't be distracting the men - um, try a little self control? It's your own fault if you're distracted and can't do your work.
Reply 79
Anyone who thinks that having mixed groups means you can't concentrate on work is wrong. I'm sorry, but just because I'm sitting next to a guy doesn't mean that I'm going to spend the whole time thinking about whether he's fit or not instead of listening to the lecturer. I can see an argument for maintaining the same-sex colleges at collegiate universities, though I personally disagree with them having spent far too long at single sex schools, but a university that is entirely single sex is not only pointless but actually damaging I think.

Latest

Trending

Trending