Turn on thread page Beta

cried on my way back home because i hate my uni watch

ReputationRep:
    i go to brunel ow and i took a gap year already ast year. Im living at home and HATE uni people on my course are not the type of people i have anything in common with. Im asian and most people in my course are black and white. They prefer drinking all the time and i do like going out and having fun but not getting 'hammered' as they say.

i have given it time and i dont know what to do. im thinking of dropping out and reapplying somewhere else but im terrified nxt year the uni i go to might be the same full of people i dont get on with. i was thinking of applying to city uni but im worried in halls there might be white people who are diff to me.

im so sad and i cried on my way home. what should i do?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't be a *****. Man up and finish your course, this is life. Only people with *****assness tendencies run at the first sign of trouble.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=a112]i go to brunel ow and i took a gap year already ast year. Im living at home and HATE uni people on my course are not the type of people i have anything in common with. Im asian and most people in my course are black and white. They prefer drinking all the time and i do like going out and having fun but not getting 'hammered' as they say.

Why do YOU have to get hammered? Nobody will care. Drink, just don't go past your limits and then you won't be hammered.

(Original post by a112)
    i was thinking of applying to city uni but im worried in halls there might be white people who are diff to me.
    First off all why does race matter? Every university is going to have black, white and asian students, and there will always be people who are different to you. And if you move to a city uni then it's likely to have even more people who as you said, 'prefer drinking all the time' as cities tend to have better nightlife.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You haven't really given it much time.

There will always be people you don't like, but that's OK, find other people! My best friends (including my boyfriend) neither lived with me nor studied with me.

ReputationRep:
    don't judge people based on their race. not all white people want to get hammered every night. you will find people who are like you, don't worry.. you just have to give it time. you say you have but you haven't really. you can't have been there more than a few weeks? that's hardly anything. everyone is still settling in. i'm sure you're not the only one feeling a bit isolated. just get through the next few weeks and it'll probably get better.

get yourself out there and make friends. don't just sit there complaining that you have no friends if you're not making an effort.

ReputationRep:
    You could start by not thinking just because people are of different colour, they are different to you. I went to Brunel last year and didn't enjoy the course much but I found the majority students were Asians

Do you enjoy your course? If yes, its worth staying there, after all you are there to get a degree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a112)
    Im asian and most people in my course are black and white.
    I don't say this often, but I agree: You should man up seriously. If you wanted to be surrounded by Asian people, you should have applied to an university in your home country. Adapting to a completely new environment is always tough, but you have to just keep going.

I really have little sympathy here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry you are having a tough time at your university but "the people aren't the type I get on with and are different" is not even close to being a good enough reason to not like it. When you graduate and are offered a job are you going to quit it if the people aren't your type of people? Sorry, but this is just how it goes and you have to do your best to get along with people as best as possible until you come across people who you find really interesting. I'd love to have friends who like the same music, hobbies, fashion as me but I haven't met them even outside of uni yet, never mind in. I join in with them even though I don't really want to and not really feeling it because eventually, they'll do the same for me.

Branch out and stop judging people, if you want to go home and cry about how nobody gets you then do so but atleast make the social side of university easier for yourself. It will most likely be the same whatever uni you go to. Honestly, it will get better if you just concentrate on your blimmin' degree and let people in

ReputationRep:
    Man up!

Woman up!

Dog up!

Cat up!

[whatever else you may be] up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GlibByNature)
    If you wanted to be surrounded by Asian people, you should have applied to an university in your home country..
    He might have asian parents but be born in the UK, so this may be his home country.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah... race has nothing to do with personality. If you weren't so prejudiced and tarred everyone with the same brush you would probably enjoy university more. Chat to people, find out about what else they enjoy, I'm sure not all of them like drinking. Give it time, it has only just been Fresher's week, after all.

ReputationRep:
    You need to give it more time; you haven't really given it enough.

Also, you seem to be seeing race as some kind of separator. It doesn't work like that, anymore.

ReputationRep:
    You should of applied to QMUL. Bare Asians!

ReputationRep:
    Your race shouldn't really matter. Give it until the end of term to see how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should stick at it, do you enjoy your course? because that is the most important, not the people. You will most likely end up finding some friends at University in time, until then I think you should just focus on the degree rather then stressing about the people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a112)
    i go to brunel ow and i took a gap year already ast year. Im living at home and HATE uni people on my course are not the type of people i have anything in common with. Im asian and most people in my course are black and white. They prefer drinking all the time and i do like going out and having fun but not getting 'hammered' as they say.

i have given it time and i dont know what to do. im thinking of dropping out and reapplying somewhere else but im terrified nxt year the uni i go to might be the same full of people i dont get on with. i was thinking of applying to city uni but im worried in halls there might be white people who are diff to me.

im so sad and i cried on my way home. what should i do?
    And?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    I think you should stick at it, do you enjoy your course? because that is the most important, not the people. You will most likely end up finding some friends at University in time, until then I think you should just focus on the degree rather then stressing about the people.
    This is great advice, follow this OP,

ReputationRep:
    So? Most of the people on my course are complete *****. I don't cry about it; I get on with it. There are people around who aren't on your course that you can become friends with if you just put in a little more effort. Even then, I'm sure there's someone on your course who isn't an arse and who you like.

You can't quit every time life gets tough for you otherwise you'll end up nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    You are allowed to talk to people of other races you know. And don't say you have given it time, you haven't.

Man up.

ReputationRep:
    Don't give up. Power through it and I can assure you that you'll find people just like you! You're not the only person in the world that likes to do the things you like to do.. and every uni is gonna be the same I think.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 2, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.