Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Optometry at university, MY predicted grades are:
    BIOLOGY-C
    CHEMISTRY-D
    ICT-A*

Is it worth appling this year for optometry or try applying post-grad? Im not sure how to apply post graduate and what degrees would help me get into Optometry.
    Many Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It wouldn't be worth applying with those grades, I'd say improve on those grades (AS resits and A2) and then apply next year.

ReputationRep:
    i was wondering if i could do a degree then after do optometry, but what degree could i do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karam02)
    i was wondering if i could do a degree then after do optometry, but what degree could i do?
    Eh you could do that, but wouldn't you see that as a waste of money? You could easily go into Optometry after A-Levels without having to spend money on another degree. But if you feel you won't get the grades at A-Level, then doing something like Biochem/Biomed as a degree could be a stepping stone for going into post-grad Optom.

ReputationRep:
    hmm, ill have to consider my options.
    thanks for your help though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SirRamAlot)
    It wouldn't be worth applying with those grades, I'd say improve on those grades (AS resits and A2) and then apply next year.
    Don't usually say this, but I agree - with A*CD predictions, you don't really stand a chance.

Best thing to do, IMO, would be put a lot of effort into getting those up with resits and remaining modules, and apply when you've got the grades, or retake during a gap year if necessary - only one optometry school cares about this (Manchester.)

You want to be getting AAB at least to have a choice of unis (one is standard ABB, but this could go up, and a couple do consider ABB dependings on other applications ... but you want a choice, really.)

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.