Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yeoooo my accommodation came through this morning!

I'm in ASH10 106

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nicole_Sarah)
    I'm in Ash 12! Think they all different buildings, anyone else in Ash12 too??
    Yea the ASH/OAK/SYC refers to your 'tree' or section in Elms. The number immediately after is the number of your building. And the rest of it (G07etc means ground floor room 7, 107 means first floor room 7 etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Poke)
    Yea the ASH/OAK/SYC refers to your 'tree' or section in Elms. The number immediately after is the number of your building. And the rest of it (G07etc means ground floor room 7, 107 means first floor room 7 etc etc.
    Thanks I got 2 emails though, one for room 105 and the other for 206 so not sure which one I'm really in yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyson123g)
    In the first common module, if we are doing Java (which I have done a bit during my high school), you'd probably Netbeans (which is free, actually). But don't worry about software, until you get there.
    JECreator is what is used, and to be honest, no one ever says buy it, because its on all the lab machines, and you can have lab time out of your timetabled class.

Besides, it's such easy Java that you will not need to have a program to do it out side of the class

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leannemaxdot)
    JECreator is what is used, and to be honest, no one ever says buy it, because its on all the lab machines, and you can have lab time out of your timetabled class.

Besides, it's such easy Java that you will not need to have a program to do it out side of the class
    I don't think anyone bought it, 'cause the LE version of JECreator is free.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hollypops)
    It's now 3 weeks until A-Level results day and I'm worrying more than ever as to whether or not I will have achieved the grades I need to study at Queen's in September. Everyone else waiting for results worrying about getting in to Queen's? As soon as I get my results and acceptance to Queen's, my mum's got to book ferry tickets and then it's go go go!! Can't wait to move into Elm's Village, so excited to live in halls with a group of new and interesting people!!

Stomach's really going all up and down and twirling at the moment! How's everyone else doing?!
    hi Hollypops/Foskett, looks like all 3 of us r going to a great NI uni from sw eng!
    Was fine flying when I did it - easy - and better than driving down from say Glasgow or somewhere - looking forward!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tyson123g)
    Well, I'd definitely suggest taking something above an i3 processor. They have introduced 2nd gen i series, so if someone gives you 1st gen, don't take it because there's not much price difference between the both gens. (2nd gen would have a "2" in front of the processor name. Ex - 1st gen - i5 410M, 2nd gen - i5 2410M). They give 4 GB ram mostly, so I think you won't have much problem in that. But try buying one which says "upgradable upto (a higher amount, like 8/16 GB, so that if there's a need in future, you can always buy one and fit in the slots).

Software is something, we'd get to know when we get there.

In the first common module, if we are doing Java (which I have done a bit during my high school), you'd probably Netbeans (which is free, actually). But don't worry about software, until you get there.

Edit : I seem to have made a mistake in expressing. I got an email, not a physical letter.
    Hey, got accommodation and everything sorted. I emailed them to tell them i hadnt recieved mine then i got it forget exactly which room i'm in..

Yeah i was talking to a friend of mine who works with computers and he suggested the Dell XP/XPS with i5/i7 processors, which is what i had been looking at to begin with.

EDIT: I'm in OAK04 107

ReputationRep:
    You will all be in the same modules, Computer Science, Game Dev, CIT, they *all* do one module in particular, CSC1011/1012 Fundementals of Programming - it's Java..... welcome to the fun! lol
    Hi leannemaxdot,

is any C covered in year 1 of Comp Sci? Or is it all Java?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AWFlowers)
    Hi leannemaxdot,

is any C covered in year 1 of Comp Sci? Or is it all Java?

Thanks!
    As far as I know it's nothing but Java in all years!

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know it's nothing but Java in all years!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else get an email asking to fill out the AS12 form?
    I got one even though I filled it out in June =/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JennyDigital)
    Anyone else get an email asking to fill out the AS12 form?
    I got one even though I filled it out in June =/
    Hey - i got it in a letter from ucas after my results last week - its just confirming your place. Even if you have done one before, if you got a reminder email its best you do it again, just so you dont get lost in the system!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob-Bob)
    Hey - i got it in a letter from ucas after my results last week - its just confirming your place. Even if you have done one before, if you got a reminder email its best you do it again, just so you dont get lost in the system!
    Yeah, I did it again anyway =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speaknow)
    I just applied for Zoology and Environmental Science.

I really want to do Zoology, I'll have my fingers crossed until results day.
    Hi

I have some questions about qub zoology if that's ok (the list is shorter than it looks )

1) How is Belfast?

2) good nightlife? Any complaints?

3) what is the bio side like? In terms of facilities, lecturers, interesting (or not!) courses

4) Has it lived up to what you expected?

5) are people friendly?

6) specifically for zoology, what can you tell me about the course so far? Good things? Bad things?

7) any honest comments on if bring Indian/brown-skinned will affect me at Belfast? (Heard some stuff about some Irish people having racist tendencies :/ )

Thanks in advance for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xdollymixx)
    Hey, I've applied for Zoology Fingers and toes crossed.
    Hi

I have some questions about qub zoology if that's ok (the list is shorter than it looks )

1) How is Belfast?

3) what is the bio side like? In terms of facilities, lecturers, interesting (or not!) courses

5) are people friendly?

6) specifically for zoology, what can you tell me about the course so far? Good things? Bad things?

7) any honest comments on if bring Indian/brown-skinned will affect me at Belfast in uni+on nights out? (Heard some stuff about some Irish people having racist tendencies :/ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just_looking_for_help)
    Applied from england :3 for zoology - BBB/BBCb, conditional ^_^
    Hi

1) How is Belfast?

5) are people friendly?

7) any honest comments on if bring Indian/brown-skinned will affect me at Belfast in uni+on nights out? (Heard some stuff about some Irish people having racist tendencies :/ )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nif)
    Hi

1) How is Belfast?

5) are people friendly?

Not a zoology student but I can answer your other questions!

Belfast is a great city - south Belfast, the uni area, is especially beautiful. Like everywhere there are not-so-nice areas, but you shouldn't need to go there. Elms or any of the other halls would be a good start - the holylands has a reputation for slum landlords and trouble. Stay out if you can. nightlife's grand, QUB students union, laverys, filthy mcnastys all decent. So is the parlour bar, although I've only been there for daytime pints. Most clubs will shut at 2am, maybe 2.30. Last orders at midnight or 1am. The SOS bus gives out free tea and coffee and things to get people warmed up, sobered up a bit for the walk home (they're on the Dublin road, up from laverys). Good people.

Your last question: You certainly won't be the only one. You should be fine.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spacecat)
    Not a zoology student but I can answer your other questions!

Belfast is a great city - south Belfast, the uni area, is especially beautiful. Like everywhere there are not-so-nice areas, but you shouldn't need to go there. Elms or any of the other halls would be a good start - the holylands has a reputation for slum landlords and trouble. Stay out if you can. nightlife's grand, QUB students union, laverys, filthy mcnastys all decent. So is the parlour bar, although I've only been there for daytime pints. Most clubs will shut at 2am, maybe 2.30. Last orders at midnight or 1am. The SOS bus gives out free tea and coffee and things to get people warmed up, sobered up a bit for the walk home (they're on the Dublin road, up from laverys). Good people.

Your last question: You certainly won't be the only one. You should be fine.

Good luck!
    Thanks I really appreciate your answer it was honest on the good and bad aspects!

One more question, do you have any experience with the weed in Belfast? Can you get good quality strains? And are the bag size proper or do you get ripoff-small 10's and 8's

And before someone comments with "omg you're such an idiot for doing drugs weed is so dangerous blah blah" I've two things for you:

1) Alcohol's a drug too. And much worse for you in both short term i.e how it makes people act (ever heard of a violent stoner? Ever heard of violent drunk?...) and long term I.e damage to your liver and causing addiction for some

2) people all around the world are finally waking up to how marijuana is a medical marvel that can treat minor things like headaches and joint pains to make things like epileptic seizures and cancer cells (don't believe me? YAlcohol'sSanjay Gupta weed documentary.) Why do you think it's legal in pleeenty of U.S states and now also Uruguay and other countries?

Spacecat if you're not familiar enough with weed to answer the question then never mind and thank you again for your answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nif)
    Hi

1) How is Belfast?

5) are people friendly?

Not a zoology student but I'll answer some.

1. Belfast is a nice place to live if you ignore politics, which most "outsiders" tend to do anyway as it is irrelevant to their lives.

2. Nightlife is good but a lot of places have to stop serving alcohol earlier than in England. Good electro music scene.

5. Yes the vast majority of people you will meet will be very friendly. We're actually quite well known for hospitality.

7. Irish people have no more racist tendancies than English or Scottish people do. If anything, the whole immigration thing is somewhat new to us because of our history. Racist attacks are flaring up, but they are in areas a student isn't likely to go near. The area around Queen's is very very safe.

On Weed, I'm not going to tell you where to get it, but yes it obviously exists and a lot of people smoke. it really depends on who you get it from. You can get ripped off like anywhere, but its pretty much the same as in other countries. Don't buy it in the estates surrounding the city centre or you will be ripped off.

Bags would be the usual 2g and 5g. People don't care about named strains because in the UK its harshly punished (same in the south of ireland). They take what they can get. Most of it comes from Amsterdam. Don't smoke the soapbar.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.