Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I sorta feel like I have to go to uni if I want to be successful (moderately to very) in life and it's confusing me as to what I want to do.

I think I want to go, I'm not really for or against going if I'm going tbh. The problem is I just haven't got a course that really inspires me me. I know lots of people do jobs that don't interest them and having started work recently and not enjoying it hugely, it's scared me into rushing down paths that might not be right. I say rushing... but I stayed in sixth form for 3 years and am now on a year out. I've constantly put off uni as I really can't find a subject that I'm passionate about. However, I do have some I am good at and could potentially do at uni, then proceed onto work in those areas later in life. I assume being paid more to do something I'm not really interested in beats being paid less, so I think it might be time to finally just choose something.

I was hoping I could get some people's thoughts and/or advice on this and perhaps some stories from anyone who can relate!

ReputationRep:
    How about you pull your finger out you lazy drongo?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If you don't want to go, don't. This site might help you. You could do some kind of on the job training - Tesco for example do a management scheme you only need A Levels for. Or you could work whilst studying part time, either with a brick uni or with the Open Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj08)
    I work you moron.

ReputationRep:
    I too am in your position, am in upper sixth at college and am not sure whether or not to apply to uni, and more importantly what to do.

As you say there is immense pressure to go to uni if you want to do anything successful but in the end I guess you choose what you think you will enjoy and be able to put the effort into.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajj08)
    (Original post by xDave-)
    I work you moron.
    LMFAO. OWNED.

ReputationRep:
    I assume being paid more to do something I'm not really interested in beats being paid less
    Well done - I think you've figured out the secret of working life. And at such a young age too... :five:

Seriously, some people never figure out what they want to do; my father is fifty-two, and has worked for BT since he did an apprenticeship at age sixteen because "it's not a bad job, and the pay's all right." If you're genuinely not interested in any job, best thing to do is find one that you don't hate and pays you what you want.

ReputationRep:
    Well, what are you interested in? You must be interested in something.

If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by portugueseninja)
    Well, what are you interested in? You must be interested in something.

If you could have any job in the world, what would it be?
    Footballer, lead singer in a band, astronaut, numerous other impossible goals.

ReputationRep:
    Random person repped my post 5 years later, so let's give some hindsight on this.

DON'T GO TO UNI AND DO A DEGREE THAT lS POINTLESS. THAT WILL NOT HELP YOU.

ReputationRep:
    Random person repped my post 5 years later, so let's give some hindsight on this.

DON'T GO TO UNI AND DO A DEGREE THAT lS POINTLESS. THAT WILL NOT HELP YOU.
    LMAO! I just repped your second post without even looking at the date (after the thread was bumped).

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.