Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This country has a deficit of billions of pounds (thanks to the previous Labour Government) so why is it that we continue to give aid to countries like Pakistan etc? Why in the hell do they deserve a single penny of our money?

If individuals feel inclined to send money/items over so be it, but why does our Government send our money abroad?

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that for every pound we give in aid we get over 13 back in loans.

Plus, I respect your point of view, but maybe if you saw how people lived with your own eyes you would think differently. Do you know why the UK is rich? the real reason? Well the aid we give other countries is nothing compared to what the country has taken from the world over the centuries.

ReputationRep:
    The UK is always giving to other countries, but whenever anything happens here, they go very quiet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirwhale28)
    Plus, I respect your point of view, but maybe if you saw how people lived with your own eyes you would think differently.
    Trying the old guilt-trip method won't work I'm afraid.

A large amount of the time, the money is swallowed up by corrupt politicians etc. If I could see/understand where the money was going and why I wouldn't care, but I don't.

How many billions of pounds have the African countries been give? Yet so much of that seemingly disappears.

I just fail to see given the mess we're in, why we have to bail out others. Let them fend for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I think its something like,
    the general sane public dosent like to see children ridden with aids and suffering etc

ReputationRep:
    I love posts like these ... "Things are SOOO hard over here, we do we still give money away to third world countries where water is a luxury?!!" :rolleyes:

Given that alot of money we give is done through charities which go there are do missionary work themselves, alot of it does actually reach the people it needs to. Admittedly our government could do far more by cancelling these debt owned to us, which are unrealistically large for most of these countries, however a bit of aid never helps, especially when we're living in relative luxury.

ReputationRep:
    Also when you say deficit being billions of pounds, it's been billions of pounds for decades so theres nothing new there. Yes it did increase drastically under Labour, however had it not we'd be in a far bigger mess than we are now and you'd probably be even more reluctant to give money to third world countries, so that's not really a valid reason to not give money to abroad.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by rebecca_george)
    I think its something like,
    the general sane public dosent like to see children ridden with aids and suffering etc
    That happanes despite the trillions that have been pumped into Africa

ReputationRep:
    It's a fair point, but the good in humanity will always be generous.

Countries like ours that are stable places to live, in my opinion, have a human obligation to give to those in need of the basic essentials of life. If we didn't, we'd be nothing but robots.

I have no doubt that the vast majority of that money donated goes in to our coffers anyway. There is no way Africa still has the problems is does after the years we've spent shipping millions over every year. Very sad.

ReputationRep:
    Yes things are so hard over here aren't they :rolleyes: You do realise the best way to protect interests abroad is to keep foreign countries stable? The more stable foreign nations are, the better it is for us. Stability is key for a prosperous UK, especially stability abroad.

Looking at it from a purely selfish point of view of course.

ReputationRep:
    Because at the end of the day, helping mankind is better than saving monies.

we need less people like you in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tieyourmotherdown)
    Given that alot of money we give is done through charities which go there are do missionary work themselves, alot of it does actually reach the people it needs to.
    Do you actually believe that?

Admittedly our government could do far more by cancelling these debt owned to us,
    Umm, why? Just because they don't use the money properly is no excuse to rid them of their debts. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLyther)
    Because at the end of the day, helping mankind is better than saving monies.

we need less people like you in the world.
    We've been trying to help these countries for decades. It hasn't exactly gone too well, has it?

ReputationRep:
    People just think it´s all black and white. England is a rich country, the other countries are poor because it´s their own fault blah blah. People should read more before having such opinions.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it is diplomacy. e.g. Cameron cocked up UK - Pakistan relations by making accusations over Kashmir while in India. This was eased over when we gave flood donations.

Besides, aid is only 0.6% of the budget. Assuming you earn 25k per year, you pay around £5'500 tax, which means if we returned that aid, you would get a tax rebate of less than £3 per month.

The government spends more on post-it notes than it does on aid - it's really not a significant figure.

ReputationRep:
    It's actually Thatcher's fault that we're in debt. Labour was only continuing her stupid unsustainable policies.
    Anyway, one of the reasons why we give aid is because it gives us 'soft power'. We don't really want these countries to hate us because we want to continue to exploit them. It really would be much fairer to stop giving aid and instead make trade terms fairer. We're creating a culture of dependency in the Third World. We don't really want them to develop to the extent that they might become our competitors, and because we feel guilty, we give them some aid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    We've been trying to help these countries for decades. It hasn't exactly gone too well, has it?

uuuuufff Estupido, I advise you to watch you words before you dig yourself a grave.

ReputationRep:
    Your arguement is based on the fact that aid apparently hasn't helped in the past, so why continue. Firstly, I think we could be pretty sure that it has and does make a difference. Secondly, even if it isn't, it is such a small percentage of our budget that isn't it worth continuing to try in the hope that it will trickle down to help those who need it.
    We are lucky we're in the position we're in, other countries haven't had the situations we have. This doesn't mean they should be denied the chance to develop.

ReputationRep:
    Giving aid benefits us

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EsStupido)
    Do you actually believe that?
    Well yes, alot of the money we give isn't actually sqaundered, equally alot of it is, that's common sense. Also you've made a very vague statement about the money being wasted (of which you seem to imply is the case for all the money we send) yet haven't provided a source.

Umm, why? Just because they don't use the money properly is no excuse to rid them of their debts. :rolleyes:
    Oh dear. You do realize that these loans were given to these countries with astronomical interest rates which were NEVER feasibly going to be paid off, right? That's the way it works: Western countries give loans to impoverished nations who have no choice to accept because of their situation with ridiculous interest, which is in the long term profitable for Western countries assuming they get paid ridiculous interst rates they've set. Believe me, there is no good will involved in these loans and it is through no fault of their own that most third world countries can barely cover the interest.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.